MAC vs PC – Which Is Right For You?

Rengar

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
Each camp provokes fierce loyalty and arguements in equal measure. We weigh up the pros and cons of each to help you decide which tribe you are.
It’s a debate that’s been raging for years. But the answer to which is better out of Apple’s Mac computers or Microsoft’s Windows PCs is a bit more complex than the zealots on either side would have you believe.

Research has shown that the brain activity of people who are defending their favourite brands is similar to those having religious experiences. It’s no wonder, then, that one doesn’t have to search for very long to find a heated online debate raging about which is better between PlayStation and Xbox (or, more broadly, consoles and PCs), Android and iPhone, Star Wars and Star Trek, and Windows and Mac. People feel passionately about their favourite brands and will often do anything they can to justify their choices.

The brain activity of people defending their favourite brands is similar to those having religious experiences. (Image source: fineartamerica.com)

However, while fans will try and convince you that their choice was based on some logical and systematic weighing-up of the pros and cons before carefully making their final selection, the decision is usually completely arbitrary. People tend to make a choice based on factors such as what their friends have – especially when it comes to video game systems – after which they retroactively seek out evidence (with no small amount of conformation bias) to support their decision.

Whether you are attempting to justify your decision after the fact, or genuinely attempting to make an informed choice ahead of purchasing a new computer, you need an impartial assessment of the pros and cons of each system.

Aesthetics
A few years ago, this category would have been a shoe-in for Mac, but times have changed somewhat. When they were first released, Apple Mac computers were a colourful and stylish breath of fresh air in an industry dominated by dull beige Windows PCs. Since then, Apple has released a steady stream of gorgeous machines. From their range of sleek and stylish MacBook laptops to the iconic lamp-style desktop monitors, Macs have long been widely regarded as being at the forefront of hardware design.

Apple’s eye for design has left humdrum PCs looking very plain in comparison (Image source: pinterest.com)

However, in recent years, Apple has seen something of a stagnating of its design philosophy, with things remaining largely unchanged for many years. This has given the many producers of Windows PCs ample time to play catch-up. After the strange backwards step that came with the poorly received Windows 8 machines, PC manufacturers have come back swinging with some really lovely computers running the popular Windows 10 operating system.

The success of Windows 10 has seen PCs enjoy something of a renaissance in 2017. However, reports abound of Apple being in the process of overhauling their designs, so we could be seeing another new breath of fresh air coming over the horizon soon.

Software
Macs may have taken a few beatings in the looks department in recent years, but one should not count them out just yet, as when it comes to bundled software, they are light years ahead of Windows.

When you start up a new Mac computer, you’ll find applications which allow for basic photo editing, video and audio production, and a full suite of office software including Pages, Number, and Keynote. Best of all, none of the software bundled Macs are bloatware or trial offerings. Each app is a full version and should provide all the functionality the average person needs for normal consumer-level usage.

On the flipside, Windows offerings are paltry by comparison. You get the Photos app (but the software is little more than a viewer) and a free trial for Office 365, depending on where you purchase your device. Other than that plus a few basic features such as Mail and Edge, Windows PCs come with a relatively barren landscape of bundled software. Especially when compared to the offerings from Apple.

However, when it comes to third party software, the options for Windows users far exceed that available to Mac users. That said, as Macs come with complete versions of all the software the average user will need, it could be argued that it doesn’t really matter.

Gaming
Aside from using them to complete work and/or study, one of the main reasons for purchasing a new computer is to play video games. Gaming technology has expanded rapidly since its inception during late 70s/early 80s, and dedicated gamers demand machines which are able to handle the latest graphics and sound.

When it comes to gaming, PCs monster Macs… Fact. (Image source: pcgamer.com)

Unfortunately for Mac users, Windows’ long held dominance over the realm of computer games has only strengthened with the advent of Windows 10. The number of titles available to Windows users exceeds what is available to Mac-based gamers to an almost embarrassing magnitude – and PCs now have the power to stream games from both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

When it comes to gaming, Windows PCs are the clear winner. For now.

Security
Much like Windows PCs have always held the crown when it comes to gaming, Macs hold the same prize when you look at its security protocols.

If you have a Mac, you’re significantly less likely to contract a virus or be targeted by cyber criminals. It could be argued that Macs make a less attractive target for hackers due to their much smaller market proliferation, but the more closed-source nature and stricter software vetting procedures also play a significant role in making Macs the more secure option.

There have been a few high-profile security breaches of Macs, such as the 2016 KeyRanger ransomware attack – but the frequency of them pales almost into insignificance when compared to the number of attacks aimed at Windows users.

And so, if security is of greatest concern to you when choosing a new computer, you can’t go wrong with a Mac.

Final Thoughts
This is of course not an exhaustive list of factors which should be considered when trying to choose between Windowsand Mac for your new computer. Many other things such as user interface, price, personal ethics, and more, can all play a role. In the end, it comes down to what you want from your computer.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I had Macs and eventually returned to Windows. I loved the Mac stability and responsiveness but the lack of resources in software I use frequently made me go back to Windows. Microsoft Office, for instance, was nowhere near as powerful on the Mac as it was on Windows. I was often using Bootcamp to reboot the Mac in Windows mode to be able to do some complex work in my documents.

Also the insane price of Mac computers in my country ruled them out for me permanently. For the price of simple MacBook Pro I can easily buy 6 Notebooks with the same hardware specification using Windows... Just to show how insane their prices are here, for the price of an IPhone X I can buy a Dell Gamer laptop with all the top specifications... and still would have some money to spare. Until Apple reviews the prices of their hardware in my country I won't even consider buying any Apple hardware.

T

TrinitronMSDOS

Well this a very old debate and has been a matter of preferences since the dawn of consumer PCs. It is not so different than the most recent Android vs iOS if you think about it.

Of course you can see the usual trolls proudly stating with confidence how their OS is superior as well as the occasional (or not so occasional or other mainstream forums) debate where each participant tries its best to prove how said OS is better, has more users, is more stable, etc...

I'm a Windows user, but I've had the occasion of owning various Mac computers over the years, from my parent's Macintosh Classic II when i was a kid to MacOS X a few years ago. And if you're going to be completely honest, you can't deny that both of these OS have their ups and downs, and that ultimately there is no "better" one in my opinion. There are just 2 completely different operating systems that are for different type of users.

The close, maximize and minimize buttons are the perfect example of how these OSs differs. They are completely at the opposite (right vs left), different in shape (square vs round), and in size (large vs small). Yet it's hard arguing one is better other than the other, it's just different, as comparing UK vs Mainland right/left wheel driving.

Also i think there are a number of users that just stick to an OS because of their jobs needs or just as they're use to it. I know some photographers would be lost on PC, and some programmers that couldn't do their jobs on Mac, for example.

So to answer your question, PC is the way to go for me. It suits my needs better as i love the amazing choice of softwares, games and tuning possibilities. More or less the same reasons that makes me prefer Android.

TheJokerz

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2016
I refuse to use any consumer product that you have to use their over priced parts/service(crapple). I do not care how stable or "secure" it may be. I enjoy freedom, if I want to swap out my MOBO I love the fact I can put anything in I want!

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
pc.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Majority here are Pro-Windows or Pro-Linux, and macOS is very much under-appreciated.

As I regularly switch between Windows (since 90s) and macOS HS (since 2015), I can say they're both excellent Operating Systems. Each come with their own Pro's and Con's, but overall Apple's macOS probably has the technological edge over Microsoft's Windows 10.

You'll hear the same BS excuses from hardcore fanboys. :)

Too bad I replied to a FH-clickbait News thread. :sick:

Arvind17

Dec 24, 2018
When we go for buy a system. It is very difficult to choose because nowadays mac and windows pc both are available on almost same prices so you can know easily which one is better for you mac vs windows ? Must visit for a genuine opinion

Reactions: show-Zi

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I feel that Mac is a special tool. It is convenient, but as applications are not as effective as general purpose goods, additional investment is required for paid software even after hardware purchase. In the element that can be enjoyed widely and casually, Windows thinks it is predominantly superior.

Reactions: Weebarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.