Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
High settings + Hardened Mode
Periodic malware scanners
Eset online scanner (program) Norton power Eraser
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Edge Chromium with Trafficlight and Ublock Origin , Google Chrome : Windows defender browser protection + trafficlight+ Ublock Origin
Maintenance tools
Wise disk cleaner, wise registry cleaner.
File and Photo backup
Aomei Backupper standard
System recovery
Aomei Backupper standard
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
HP Desktop Intel® i3-4150
Dual-Core @3,50 Ghz.
Intel HD Graphics 4400
Ram: 16 GB DDR3.
HD 1 TB
Notable changes
Dec 2 , 2020 Replaced KSC (free) by Avast! free

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
I replaced Windows Defender with Bitdefender Free Antivirus for a smaller footprint..... sometimes computer slowsdown with WD and slow opening of download folder with .exe files
Will see how it goes with BD free , hope better performance, because computer is more than 5 years old.

Last edited:

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
I replaced Windows Defender with Bitdefender Free Antivirus for a smaller footprint..... sometimes computer slowsdown with WD and slow opening of download folder with .exe files
Will see how it goes with BD free , hope better performance, because computer is more than 5 years old.
Thats funny, considering bitdefender uses 500 megabytes of memory, 6 times more tha windows defender

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Actualy its feeling much lighter than windows defender, even when it uses more Ram ...... maybe you don't know ???

Memory usage by an antivirus, generally does not matter. Unless your system is short on RAM, then memory usage will not affect performance, and in some cases antiviruses using more memory perform better than ones keeping thier memory useage low, becuase they are keeping data in RAM rather than reguarly writing data back to the hard drive, to free up RAM, which actually hinders performance. If you've got enough RAM installed, it is high CPU and or disk usage will cause performance issues. I never look at RAM usage by security software becuase it simply does not matter.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Both of them are no problem, for example the amtso test : sometimes things are blocked by AV webshield and sometimes by trafficlight.
You also see the green mark on search engine like google if a website is safe or not.
On a you-tube test by Computer solutions they also tested BD free with Trafficlight and they had better results : (14:05)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.