New Update Macrium Reflect Home

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Macrium Reflect Home v8.1.7469 ready via internal updater...

Bug fixes and Improvements v8.1.7469 - 18th April 2023
  • Disk Images
    • We've improved the speed of mounting images in Windows File Explorer on some systems.
    • When imaging a FAT32 partition with a very large FAT table, If the backup target ran out of space while saving the FAT table Reflect could crash. This has been resolved.
    • Reflect now uses the improved Write method to calibrate the target disk write speed. While it may take slightly longer to perform the test than previously, the results are more realistic and closely match the image write performance.
    • Drives encrypted with BitLocker would show as unformatted if the Windows BitLocker WMI component was not registered correctly. This has been resolved.
    • Reflect could crash when an image restore was initiated from Explorer Context Menu, or via command line option. This has been resolved.
  • SQL Backups
    • SQL backups could sometimes not honor retention settings for password protected network shares and for unnamed SQL Server instances. This has been resolved.
  • viBoot
    • In extremely rare circumstances the MRVMDK driver could generate a buffer overflow. This has been resolved.
    • viBoot may incorrectly display “No bootable drive detected error” when launched from Reflect. This has been resolved.
  • CBT
    • After resizing a volume, CBT will not re-enable on the volume until after a system restart. This has been resolved.
    • MRCBT failed to attach to some partitions created with legacy MS-DOS tools. This has been resolved.
  • General
    • We've added a new theme that compliments the currently selected Windows theme. Take the ‘Other Tasks’ > ‘Change Theme…' menu option and select 'Windows Color Theme’
    • We've improved device driver compatibility with Microsoft DirectStorage.
    • On some Windows 7 systems, due to third party DLL injection, Reflect could become unresponsive. This has been resolved.
    • Email parameters {BACKUPFILENAME} and {BACKUPFILEPATH} would contain incorrect data for skipped backups as no file is generated. This has been resolved by replacing the parameters with empty text.
    • The password ‘Reveal’ button has been removed from the default settings for the SMTP Server password field in the custom email configuration. This was highlighted as a potential security concern for our MSP customers that configured Macrium Reflect for their own customers.
  • Various
    Various other minor fixes and changes to improve Macrium Reflect.
Source: Macrium Reflect Patch Details

Updated but have not tested it out yet.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Since I'm a bit unsure If I understood it right I wanted to make sure that I don't brick my pc before considering trying.
So I apply the 9th may windows update. Create a new Macrium Bootmenue/Rescue USB and then follow the guide to apply the revocations?
Would creating the boot menu as Windows RE or as Windows PE WADK make any difference? (Windows 11 64bit 22H2)
If I understood it correct I then couldn't roll back to an earlier backup like march, right?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm new to MR and I have some questions

I created a Win 11 22H2 bootable USB flash drive using Rufus

And I just used MR Home (on trial) to back up just Win 11 Pro OS to it.

Questions

1) When do you engage Macrium Image Guardian? Before the backup? I see no setting during the setting up for backup. Isn't Macrium Image Guardian always on or I need to engage it for every backup?

2) In the event my laptop cannot boot up normally so I boot up externally using my bootable USB flash drive. After that I'm supposed to restore my image using Macrium Reflect back to the C:, right? However, MR is installed in C: which means I cannot restore the image since I cannot boot up normally. So what is it now? Can MR restores the image if I cannot boot up the C: drive? Or is image restoration good only if you can boot up from the C: drive?

Or set up the Win 11 OS created by Rufus?

I believe I have 2 oprions here. Which is the better one?

Thanks

Last edited:

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
I'm new to MR and I have some questions

I created a Win 11 22H2 bootable USB flash drive using Rufus

And I just used MR Home (on trial) to back up just Win 11 Pro OS to it.

Questions

1) When do you engage Macrium Image Guardian? Before the backup? I see no setting during the setting up for backup. Isn't Macrium Image Guardian always on or I need to engage it for every backup?

2) In the event my laptop cannot boot up normally so I boot up externally using my bootable USB flash drive. After that I'm supposed to restore my image using Macrium Reflect back to the C:, right? However, MR is installed in C: which means I cannot restore the image since I cannot boot up normally. So what is it now? Can MR restores the image if I cannot boot up the C: drive? Or is image restoration good only if you can boot up from the C: drive?

Or set up the Win 11 OS created by Rufus?

I believe I have 2 oprions here. Which is the better one?

Thanks
I permanently activated the Image Guardian in the settings. I only disable Image Guardian when I want to delete an image.
You can create a rescue medium on a USB stick with MR that you can boot from. You can then use MR on the USB stick to restore an image from the C: drive.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I permanently activated the Image Guardian in the settings. I only disable Image Guardian when I want to delete an image.
You can create a rescue medium on a USB stick with MR that you can boot from. You can then use MR on the USB stick to restore an image from the C: drive.
Ok found that Macrium Image Guardian is auto on to protect backups after MR installation

You mean have a copy of MR on the bootable stick to restore the image? How?

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
Ok found that Macrium Image Guardian is auto on to protect backups after MR installation

You mean have a copy of MR on the bootable stick to restore the image? How?
1. Boot from the rescue USB stick. MR starts automatically.
2. Insert the USB stick with the image from drive C: into another USB port.
3. Select the displayed image in MR and start restoring.
4. Exit MR after recovery is complete. Windows restarts with the state that was saved in the image.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
1. Boot from the rescue USB stick. MR starts automatically.
2. Insert the USB stick with the image from drive C: into another USB port.
3. Select the displayed image in MR and start restoring.
4. Exit MR after recovery is complete. Windows restarts with the state that was saved in the image.

Thank you for the steps.

But before inserting the bootable USB stick I need to know how to create the bootable USB stick, put a copy of MR onto it and put the backup image as well. That's a 3-in-1 thing

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
Thank you for the steps.

But before inserting the bootable USB stick I need to know how to create the bootable USB stick, put a copy of MR onto it and put the backup image as well. That's a 3-in-1 thing
In MR there is a function "Create rescue medium". With it you can create the USB stick with all the necessary files as a bootable medium.
I have the German language version of MR. So it could be that the names in the English version are slightly different.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Thank you for the steps.

@HarborFront You may still try Macrium Reflect Home?

In case you haven't found the related setting: Other Tasks => Create Rescue Media

MR#1.png

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront You may still try Macrium Reflect Home?

In case you haven't found the related setting: Other Tasks => Create Rescue Media

View attachment 275543

So, this will create a bootable USB flash drive? Will it also load a copy of MR and the Windows OS as well or I need further steps to load the two latter?

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
So, this will create a bootable USB flash drive? Will it also load a copy of MR and the Windows OS as well or I need further steps to load the two latter?
You still have to switch from the "Windows Boot Menu" option to the "Removable USB Flash Drive" option in the Silversurfer instructions. Then a bootable USB stick will be created containing MR with all the necessary files. You really don't have to do anything else.
However, it is easier if you select the "Windows Boot Menu" option. Then you don't need a USB stick and you don't have to change the boot order. Instead, you will be asked each time you start the computer during the boot process whether you want to start Windows or MR. If you don't answer this question, Windows will start automatically after a few seconds.

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I would always create/have at least two separate macrium recovery options. Like macrium bootmenue + macrium usbstick or m. bootdvd + m. usbstick or m.bootmeue . I killed my boot menue of my own fault some times so having another recoverymedia option saved me.

Warning: Using bitlocker may require additional steps.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Instead, you will be asked each time you start the computer during the boot process whether you want to start Windows or MR. If you don't answer this question, Windows will start automatically after a few seconds.
fwiw, this is how macrium8 interacts with my win10 boot, it offers me the option to boot win10 or MR. This is a helpful thread as I setup MR long enough ago that I don't recall how I did that (earlier version of MR) :unsure: Never been an issues, so I am MR rusty. :rolleyes:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Macrium Reflect Home v8.1.7544 released today, available via internal updater...

Bug fixes and Improvements v8.1.7544 - 6th June 2023
  • Disk Images
    • Image backups could fail with 'Insufficient system resources' if 'Alternate locations' were used. This has been resolved.
  • Exchange
    • After Exchange Granular Recovery loads the backup and populates the mailbox names, you can click the arrow to expand the mailbox. Sometimes, this caused a crash. This has been resolved.
  • Macrium Image Guardian
    • MIG could incorrectly block the data deduplication process 'FSDMHOST.EXE'. This has been resolved.
  • CBT
    • Formatting a new partition or resizing an existing partition could result in a BSoD. This has been resolved.
  • General
    • Reflect could freeze when Enter Key is pressed while the focus on text area of the restore/clone scroll window. This has been resolved.
    • On some Windows 7 systems, due to third party DLL injection, Reflect could get into hang state. This has been resolved.
    • On some systems, Windows could fail to provide a default GUI font and Reflect would crash. This has been resolved.
  • Various

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You can do sync with MR as explained below

But is sync in real time like Aomei Backupper?

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Macrium Reflect Home v8.1.7638 released today, available even via internal updater...

Bug fixes and Improvements v8.1.7638 - 4th September 2023
  • Installation
    • CPU Priority Setting was incorrectly reset during upgrade install. This has been resolved.
  • Existing Backups View
    • On the Existing Backups view, sorting by Type or Comment didn't change the sort order. This has been resolved.
      Note: Column sorting is only valid when viewing 'Backup Files', not 'Backup Sets''.
  • Cloning
    • Macrium Reflect Clone operations can now be run in the background.
  • Imaging
    • On rare occasions, cancelling an image backup takes longer, and may appear to hang. This has been resolved.
  • General
    • In Restore Only mode, the viBoot option was grayed when a Windows image was selected. This has been resolved.
    • When a backup Desktop shortcut was created with the 'Prompt' option, backups were incorrectly running in the background. This has been resolved.
    • If a PC is set to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity, and is also set to sleep after completing a backup, then both could trigger at the same time, so the "Computer will now be suspended" pop-up would still be visible after the machine was woken up. This has been resolved.
    • For backups run interactively, the "Backup Complete" pop-up will no longer prevent the system from automatically sleeping due to inactivity.
    • The 'On Completion' combo box on the 'Task Status' tab could fail to respond to mouse click events. This has been resolved.
  • Various

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Seems to work okay but only PE rescue media (on USB & Windows Boot Menu) worked for me, the RE version (on USB) returned errors on boot saying there's system files missing & that system needs a repair - I tried it twice with same result. I didn't record exact wording as I use the Windows 10 PE version rescue media but if you use the RE version you might want to double check it works for you.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.