Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Bug fixes and Improvements v8.0.5946 - 1st June 2021
  • BitLocker Restore
    We've resolved a problem that caused partitions encrypted with BitLocker to fail to be restored if the BitLockered partition wasn't the first partition in the restore sequence, and a 'BitLocker live'restore was initiated.

We recommend re-building your rescue media if your system uses BitLocker encryption, or if you're unsure.
Source: Macrium Reflect Patch Details

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
AFAIK, the free v8 is not officially issued, nor supported. If you managed to snag this, you may be best served by accepting the downgrade at this time. IIRC, the v7 free edition was officially released quite some time after v7 was made available.

For me, I'll wait until v8.1 before upgrading my paid and free installations.
I think that you're right. I'd been thinking that I should revert back to the free v7 of Reflect even though v8 was working OK, just in case. I clicked on 'check for updates' and was informed that there is an update available, this downloaded and after running the pre-installation checks Reflect informed me that there is a more recent version installed already and closed itself.

I'll need to install v 7.3.5854 from scratch to be safe.

I'm not having a pop at Majorgeeks, or other reputable download sites, but getting downloads from the vendor is probably the best source if you want to avoid issues like this when a version of the software that was not intended for wide release appears to have been made available there.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Bug fixes and Improvements v8.0.5963 - 7th June 2021
  • Cloning
    • When running clone jobs in 'batch' mode the clone dialog would incorrectly be shown at the end of the job. This has been resolved.
    • The taskbar icon could be hidden for scheduled clone jobs. This has been resolved.
  • Windows PE
    If Windows PE has a low horizontal screen resolution of 800 pixels or less, then the restore/clone dialog could be 'clipped', rendering the 'Finish' button inaccessible. This has been resolved.
  • ReflectUI.exe
    ReflectUI could generate a program error on Windows 8.1 and Server 2012 and cause multiple icons to appear in the notification area. This has been resolved.
  • Backup to DVD/CD
    Reflect could generate a program exception when ejecting optical media at the end of a backup. This has been resolved.
  • File and Folder Backup
    When searching password protected/encrypted File and Folder backups, the entered correct password was rejected causing the search to fail. This has been resolved.
  • Retention Warning
    The backup completion warning, when the retention purge deletes all backups prior to running the backup, wasn't being suppressed if the retention rules were explicitly set to retain 1 Full. This has been resolved.
  • Various
    Various minor fixes and changes to improve Macrium Reflect

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
FWIW, you can also get the "free" v8 by letting the v8 trial expire.
Will it not revert to v.7 after trial expires? They say so here: Reflect Free

But before you jump straight to the free option, why not check out Reflect 8 Home? Our 30-day trial of Reflect 8 Home is the ideal way to explore what we have to offer with absolutely no risk. If for whatever reason you decide it isn’t right for you, any backups you create during the trial will still be accessible as the software reverts to Reflect 7 Free.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Bug fixes and Improvements v8.0.5994 - 21st June 2021
  • Windows PE
    When mapping a network drive in WinPE/RE the error "A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated." could be encountered. This has been resolved.
  • Rescue Media Builder
    We've added the WinRE Boot\Resources folder contents to the rescue media build for improved loading visualization.
  • Log View
    Log Files View would crash if a completion message exceeded 255 chars, this has been resolved.
  • UI Theme
    • Some Edit controls in viBoot would fail to respond to mouse interactions when using dark themes. This has been resolved.
    • When using the light theme, some UI elements would incorrectly display a dark grey overlay. This has been resolved.
  • Consolidation
    • The standalone consolidation tool 'Consolidate.exe' rejected correct passwords for password protected backups. This has been resolved.
    • A rare condition could cause consolidation to fail with a 'Bad file descriptor' error. This has been resolved.
  • Backup File Name
    • When an Incremental or Differential had no backup set to append to and created a Full, the {BACKUPTYPE} Parameter would be incorrectly replaced with the requested type rather than 'Full'. This has been resolved.
    • A backup set with alternative locations, where the Full backup was created with Macrium Reflect v7.2.4732 or earlier, could cause the backup file name to exclude the default Image ID and target the wrong directory. This has been resolved.
    • We've added a 'Collision Sequence' number that persists for a backup set when the Full backup has the same name as an existing backup. This ensures that backup sets with similar names and no unique prefix, can be easily identified by file name.
  • VBScript Generation
    The auto generated VBScript source template failed to run with a code syntax error. This has been resolved.
  • Scheduled Tasks
    In some circumstances, when editing non SYSTEM account scheduled tasks, Reflect would ask for a username and password even when one had already been provided. This has been resolved.
  • Restore
    • The locked drive dialog incorrectly showed drive 'X:' rather than the locked volume when prompting to restore using using the rescue media. This has been resolved.
    • When launching a restore from an image file in Windows Explorer, the restore Wizard would be suppressed for the first run after a reboot. This has been resolved.
    • The Restore/Clone automatic resize was not locking the size of MBR WinRE recovery partitions. This has been resolved.
  • Existing Backups View
    The Existing Backups view could become unsynchronized with the "Folders To Search". This has been resolved.
  • Backup Definition Rename
    • Renaming a backup definition file could lead to an abnormal Reflect termination. This has been resolved.
    • Renaming a backup definition file could cause the next definition in the list to incorrectly show the name of the file just renamed. This has been resolved.
  • Network Path Auto-Complete
    A long delay could be encountered when entering a UNC or network share path as a backup path. This has been resolved.
  • Server Plus
    • When backing up Microsoft Exchange the incorrect databases, intermittently, could be listed in the backup summary. This has been resolved.
    • Exchange backups could fail with: "One or more files failed the copy process" if the database path uses a different case to the defaulted case. This has been resolved.
  • viBoot
    The network adapter settings in the create VM wizard could be incorrectly hidden. This has been resolved.
  • Various
    Various minor fixes and changes to improve Macrium Reflect.

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Seems very much like a beta product.
They're continuously improving it. I like the new version, it seems polished enough. I am referring to the Home version.
They have a stylish software indeed and the update pace is normal. Even in version 7 after the release they had a lot of updates up to a moment they decided the upgrade.
So far so good. It works great.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I'm still getting offered an 'update' from 8.0.5903 to 7.3.58.54!

It is possible that I need to revert back to the previous version before I can get the new, new free ver 8 of Reflect, but I'm not going to mess about with it tonight, I don't have time. It is also possible that the free version that I have was posted on the Major Geeks site accidentally. The free ver 8 that I have is working fine, running differential updates and I tried installing an image through this version that was successful
I kept the 'free' v8 on a PC where everything on it is backed up elsewhere, so if 'free' v8 screws up, any files that get lost can easily be backed up from elsewhere. This PC also has AOMEI Backupper running on it, so I should be saved from any disasters. The 'free' v8 that I seem to have accidentality got from MajorGeeks is still functioning OK over a month later. I have not attempted any updates as it still looks like I'd be returned to v7 if I tried that.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Bug fixes and Improvements v8.0.6036 - 14th July 2021
  • Installer
    On pre-Windows 8 systems we've improved the detection of Windows SHA-2 patches to enable installation to continue.
  • Rescue Media Builder
    • When determining what size partition to create for USB rescue media, the Rescue Media Builder will now always allocate at least 20% more space than is required for the files to ensure enough space is allocated.
    • If the Rescue Media Builder could not find enough space on a USB stick to create the rescue media, the log could report incorrect partition numbers and size requirements. This has been resolved.
    • An invalid filename for an iso file could cause the iso file path to be malformed. This has been resolved.
  • Macrium Reflect UI - General
    • We've added a Full/Diff/Inc backup type column to the Log View list.
    • The 'Type' column in the 'Definition Files' view is now sortable.
    • Disabled menu items could sometimes appear as enabled when using the light theme. This has been resolved.
    • When trying to rename an XML definition file, the ‘c’ character could not be entered. This has been resolved.
    • The mouse pointer detection zone for check-boxes in the Browse Image dialog box was too small, making them difficult to interact with. This has been resolved.
    • Under Reflect Defaults, some text labels in the Email Settings could become misaligned. This has been resolved.
  • Existing Files View
    • We've changed the icon in the list of folders for network shares that can't connect and for folders that don't exist. We've also added a 'Connect' context menu to prompt for authentication and to display an appropriate error message for local folders.
    • Intermittent connection issues could cause the list of backups in a shared folder to be empty. This has been resolved.
    • Removing the last folder in the list of files to search in the existing backups view would not refresh the backups. This has been resolved.
  • Rescue Media
    • When authenticating a network share while booted into the Rescue Media, clicking the Show Password button could cause the Rescue Media to reboot. This has been resolved.
    • The backup run dialog could be clipped when running at 800x600 resolution. This has been resolved.
    • An incorrect VSS warning message box was displayed when imaging removable drives in the rescue media. This has been resolved.
    • We've increased the time-out when connecting to network shares to reduce connection failures.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Bug fixes and Improvements v8.0.6161 - 7th September 2021
  • General
    • We've added identification of external processes locking Macrium Reflect backup files when a sharing violation causes a failure in the backup or consolidation.
      Note: Process names can only be identified if they originate on the local PC and are traceable.
    • We've added a 'Reveal' button to show the typed/entered password when browsing/verifying/restoring password protected or encrypted images.
    • We've added a backup overall progress percentage tooltip to Reflect Monitor taskbar system tray icon
  • Localization
  • Rescue Media Builder
    • Recent backup folders were not always being copied when creating rescue media. This has been resolved.
    • We've added a network authentication prompt when saving an ISO file to a disconnected network share.
  • Technician's Rescue Media
    • The option to prefix the backup filename with IMAGEID was not available in PE/Portable mode. This has been resolved.
    • The toolbar for Defaults was not visible in Technician's PE/Portable mode. This has been resolved.
  • File and Folder Backup
    • Folders to backup were not added in alphabetic order. This has been resolved.
    • File & Folder backup wizard would not use the users locale date/time format for the folder date/time. This has been resolved.
  • Server Plus
    • The refresh of the Exchange backup cache could lead to a "Not Responding" state. This has been resolved.
    • Exchange backup could lead to an error "Not Enough Storage is available to process this command". This has been resolved.
    • A program exception could occur when specifying an alternate location for SQL Server database restore. This has been resolved.
  • Clone
    • Email Attachments were missing for Clone operation. This has been resolved.
    • Clone operations could fail to start if Forensic Copy was selected. This has been resolved.
    An edge case with some flash drives could cause the last physical cluster of an imaged file system to be skipped. This has been resolved.
  • Changed Block Tracker
    • The CBT state in Macrium Reflect menus would not always track the current CBT state correctly. This has been resolved.
    • On some systems, CBT could not be enabled on the system volume. This has been resolved.
  • Image Mounting
    • Mounted NTFS volumes would show as tbFAT in the Windows Explorer properties dialog when the option to "Allow access to restricted folders" had been checked. This has been resolved.
    • When mounting an image the image comment would be displayed over the checkbox forcing 2 clicks to enable the checkbox. This has been resolved.
    • When an image is automatically dismounted as part of consolidation, the Unmount backup dialog would retain the mounted volume. This has been resolved.
  • Defaults and Settings
    • The network authentication defaults now has a Test option to test connectivity.
    • On 32 bit systems, default network user names were not being saved. This has been resolved.
  • Log View
    • The toolbar on the Log View could become corrupt when hiding the filters after switching tabs. This has been resolved.
    • The Log view refresh button was clearing the log filters. This has been resolved.
  • Existing Backups View
    • The Existing Backups View browse option would not automatically select the file that was browsed for. This has been resolved.
    • We've made the 'Folders list' column in the Existing Backups View re-sizable.
  • Reflect Monitor
    Cancelling a backup in Reflect Monitor could leave some buttons disabled. This has been resolved.
  • Various
    Various minor fixes and changes to improve Macrium Reflect.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Regaring this new version, has anyone else that creates Rescue Media having issues with the CD/DVD version? For me the USB rescue loads fine but the CD version will error out after a long, long time trying.

Do not use CD/DVD so i do not know but i just got a non functioning USB rescue media used for the first time since yesterdays creation. Did it all over again and then it did function. That has never happened before, ever.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.