Major Streaming Services Limit Bandwidth [COVID-19] [Updated]

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Amazon, Facebook, Instagram, Disney+, and Apple have also agreed to comply with government requests that video bitrates are reduced in Europe while the coronavirus quarantine continues.

THR reports that all these companies are following in the footsetps of Netflix and YouTube, who both announced last week that they would comply with European government requests to help tackle the pressure on internet bandwidth as streaming rates soar while many are forced to stay indoors.

What are your thoughts?

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
As I posted recently in another MT thread our home broadband dropped out a few nights ago, then was intermittent for the next couple of days. It has been very reliable for a couple of years prior to this last week. This is in England, in a fairly central location in a reasonable sized town, our infrastructure is not the best away from the big cities, or even in parts of them too. With the recent huge increase in the numbers of people working from home, kids learning at home, with higher rates of x-box and entertainment streaming as well the bandwidth needs to be shared evenly in my view. Restricting some services from hogging what is available should help to equal things out

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I agree totally the infrastructure needs to be protected BT in the UK have said they aren't near the highest demand they have dealt with - I'be had no problems but as I pay extra for UHD+ on Netflix I wonder if I get money of my next bill as it's saving them bandwidth? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: Venustus

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I agree totally the infrastructure needs to be protected BT in the UK have said they aren't near the highest demand they have dealt with - I'be had no problems but as I pay extra for UHD+ on Netflix I wonder if I get money of my next bill as it's saving them bandwidth? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Wouldn't that be up to Netflix and not BT? But also I would think it's easier to offer 1 month extra free rather than a discount for pre-paid plans.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Yes it's up to Netlix, can't see them doing any reductions and being serious not really an issue - I'm glad I have a variety of options for entertainment as can't go out as many others also.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.