Malbky sec config.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
This is my new free layered combo. I am trying this layered style after a gap of 2 years so I would like more suggestions from you guys.
Thanks. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Are you using KIS 2011 since its stated to your config beside you stated Comodo?

You can upgrade to Kaspersky Internet Security 2012 as long the license is valid.

Also add Hitman Pro 3.5 as on demand scanner.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
I am using KIS 2011 as KIS 2012 always hangs at 25% updating. I have a one year ey from softpedia. Dont like KIS much. Resource hog.

Should i switch to Comodo Is.

imsoadude

Level 3
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
you can always try out CIS and see how you like it and if not switch back to KIS

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For KIS there are some patch added on the current version so it may fix your problem once you return back to KIS.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Have never found KIS to be resource hog to be honest, but if this is effecting you then don't blame you for not wanting to stick with it. CIS is pretty lightweight, I use it and can safely say am loving the new version... cannot wait for v6. Would not touch Opera to be honest but that's just a matter of opinion. Chrome is not bad, very good against exploits.. and sandboxed process/tabs unlike Firefox even though that's my main browser (die hard fan lol!). Any extensions, if not I suggest...
WOT (Web Of Trust)
ScriptNo
ABP
As the bare essentials...
MBAM + Hitman Pro is better on demand combo, so dump SAS as they're not what they used to be sadly.
If you choose to go with CIS then you get half decent sandbox (will be better once v6 hits with full virtual..). if not then Sanboxie..

Can't think of anything else to add at moment, anything else comes to mind for discussion then will let you know.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
If you choose to go with CIS then you get half decent sandbox (will be better once v6 hits with full virtual..). if not then Sanboxie..

Thats why i have bufferzone. I like it better as it also sandboxes your pendrive and any unsafe app automatically.
I love opera huge fan of it from 3yrs. I like it as it also has Avg link scanner for browser protection.

No maclovin no backup or any of those things. I know i should have a back software. I have just backed certain of my data on DVDs thats it.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Ok one more thing, i just tried kis2012 before i put kis2011, still the same prob.

I suppose kis hates my machine.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Should i add SAS PRO to the given config.

Also is WinPatrol a good addition?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Both QuickHeal and BZP should provide enough prevention protection.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
FYI: I use Avast Free AV and Threatfire AV for real time protection and MBAM and HitMan Pro for on-demand scans. I also have Dr. Web CureIt handy. I have XP firewall turned OFF. Threatfire is more than sufficient. Threatfire is at LEVEL 5.

Avast and Threatfire work great together. There are no slowdowns on my XP OS and start up times are lighting fast due to allowing only Avast and Threatfire to start during boot via MSCONFIG.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Quickheal is likely to be so good on detecting threats so far when they released since 2011 probably.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
I too just have Tuneup and Quickheal at startup. Disabled some un-needed functions too. I am using quickheal as it I have won a license and whenever i plug my infected pendrive it scans it and removes viruses fast. IT does not bother me. Some Av's hang or ask questions. Kis has the habbit of hanging. My pd has a lot of .exe and media files. I plug it to my school pc and gets infected. There no one cares about security. WE have another lab where we have dedicated pc's so in that I run CIS so no problems.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This might be useful for your PC.

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/downloads/usbvaccine/

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Thanks Earth but quickheal does have a usb vaccine. My pendrives are vaccinated. But still viruses to copy on which need to be removed. The moment i plug it quickheal auto scans and removes everything. I always double check with SAS and Mbam if it has left any threats unattended. Till now no such thing has occured.

malbky

Level 1
Thread author
Jun 23, 2011
Okay reinstalled Windows and now I am using KIS2012 + Malwarebytes.

Strange thing: Started Kaspersky's safe run for desktop. Inserted a infected pen drive. KIS scanned it and found 758infections. It removed all. Then scanned the pd with malware bytes. It detected addition 150 which Kis did not. All of the had the same name Spyware.gen(its a password stealer found info on mbam forums). Later when i check the logs for this removal its shows 0 viruses detected. IS this MBAM FP or KIS missed something?

-Just before scanning this I started Saferun and inserted another pendrive. It had 60viruses kis removed them. MBAM again found the same virus on this one. But it was just a dingle infected file. The logs for this scan are proper.
Both pen drives come from the same source(Both are my moms which she inserted in her schools pc which is full of virus).

Any ideas why so?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think its due to the isolation environment for Kasperksy Safe Run? Caused probably the logs that supposed to save but it didn't once the Safe Run was deactivated from its used?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.