Malicious 'Safepal Wallet' Firefox add-on stole cryptocurrency

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
A malicious Firefox add-on named "Safepal Wallet" scammed users by emptying out their wallets and lived on the Mozilla add-ons site for seven months.
Safepal is a cryptocurrency wallet application capable of securely holding more than 10,000 types of assets, including Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin.
Although the malicious browser add-on has been taken down, BleepingComputer has seen the phishing website set up by the threat actors is still up.

$4,000 lost to malicious Firefox add-on​

"Today I browsed [through] the add-on list of Mozilla Firefox, I was searching for Safepal wallet extension to use my cryptocurrency wallet also in the web browser," explains a Mozilla add-ons user who goes by the name, Cali.

Little did Cali know what was coming for them. A few hours after installing and logging in to the add-on with their real Safepal credentials, the user saw their wallet balance drop to $0.

"I was deep in shock... I saw my last transactions and saw that [$4,000 of my funds] were transferred to another wallet. I could not believe it [was an] add-on that is deployed in the add-on list of Mozilla Firefox," continues the user in Mozilla's support forum.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.