Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
found this article on www.bleepingcomputer.com :

Malware Found in the Firmware of 26 Low-Cost Android Devices

...and here are some quotes from the article above:

Security researchers have found malware hidden in the firmware of several low-end Android smartphones and tablets, malware which is used to show ads and install unwanted apps on the devices of unsuspecting users.

The common link between all these devices is that all are low-cost devices, mostly marketed in Russia, and which run on MediaTek chipsets.

Last month, in the period of one week, security researchers from Kryptowire and Anubis Networks found backdoors in the firmware provided by two Chinese software vendors, Shanghai Adups Technology Co. Ltd. and Ragentek Group.

The firmware provided by these two companies had been embedded in a large number of low-end Android smartphones and granted attackers complete control over the affected phones.

Lucent Warrior

Level 1
Verified
Dec 5, 2016
One would think if evidence as such can be collected on a Company doing such things, that these companies would be held responsible for it, facing legal action. I don't want to read 50 articles stating it has been found, i want to read one article stating its been found and they are being dealt with.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Is there anything Russia do not do, disgusting on all fronts - well the Government at least.

Should we then say this about the vast majority of Russians? I feel sure and certain that the Russian people are aware of claims being made in the west of wrongdoing by the Russian government.

How to understand Putin’s jaw-droppingly high approval ratings

Putin during the previous election campaign had a 94% approval rating. It's 82% now. I believe he has 2 more years, and then he can be elected again President of Russia for another 6 years. Honestly, the unison in which the Russian people are working impresses me.

Anyway, the products are made in China correct? The type of software doesn't indicate Russian government involvement to me. It's a game platform app, just like those seen all over asia.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.