Not open for further replies.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
A few days ago, Glarysoft released Malware Hunter, an on demand virus scanner using Avira's scan engine. Glarysoft are well known for their very popular (but unremarkable - in my opinion) system utility suite Glary Utilities.

As you can see from the screenshots, the user interface is a blatant ripoff of the UI from 360 Total Security. I'm really surprised that such a well known company would choose to create a product with an almost exact copy of another software's user interface. I am well aware that the Chinese don't care too much about copyright, and these are both Chinese companies, but still this is surprising.

Malware Hunter offers no real time protection, and costs $14.99 for a yearly subscription.

Last edited by a moderator:

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@hjlbx This appears to be a close copy rather than being licensed. Because Malware Hunter has no real time protection, it could be used as a companion antivirus.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Their website doesn't even have much information about the product. I agree, would not use it either looks like 100% rip off, and I'm not even sure if it provides real time protection, that's how little information their website has.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I wouldn't run this software at all because the name is already suspicious as heck. Malware Hunter really?
Well, at least it comes from a well-known company, so that should reduce suspicion somewhat. With that said though, I most likely won't use the product.

@hjlbx This appears to be a close copy rather than being licensed. Because Malware Hunter has no real time protection, it could be used as a companion antivirus.
Sounds more like an on-demand scanner. Since companion antivirus would imply that the product has some real-time protection but takes a backseat to the main antivirus.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Actually, they do have real time protection. You probably didn't read them carefully.
No it does not have real time protection. As stated, it receives automatic updates, but, it does not have any real time protection.

Their claim is misleading, but, not suprising I guess, considering they ripped off Qihoo 360's UI.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The GUI is more closely same to Tencent PC Manager although the flow of arrangement of concept goes likely to Qihoo.

Nevertheless, we should expect the overall benefits are nearly 1/4 due to partial signatures agreement.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Glarysoft Malware Hunter 1.2.0.4
Code:
http://download.glarysoft.com/mhsetup.exe

ea57c1e9f5c45a7e7e43a0397d28.jpg

Reactions: tonibalas

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Version: 1.4.0.8
Optimized Malware Hunter: optimized interface
Minor GUI improvements
Minor bug fixes
Malware Hunter - Release Notes
Download:
Code:
http://download.glarysoft.com/mhsetup.exe

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
It doesn't appear to allow one to configure it to allow user discretion about removal of programs, a non-starter for me.

I can see from search results that MT guys have been testing it a lot against malware samples. It looks like Crystal Security does very well in that testing.

I do think Glary Utilities is a pretty good program.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@conceptualclarity
Agreed, glary was not too bad I used their "utility" a couple years back.
surprised they jumped into the Malware field like this though. I won't use it (malware hunter)
I dumped the utilities tool because of lack of realtime browser cleaning
like I get with Ccleaner.
PeAcE

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
What would convince people to use this over Avira free? Also, it's nice to see someone actually managed to rip off a Chinese product.
Also no one is paying $15 for a on-demand scanner based on Aviras engine.

N

Noxx

Very nervous about Malware Hunter, especially considering Glarysofts partnership with a particular company I, and many other people in the pc security community aren't very fond of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.