Battle [Malware Testing on VM] Windows XP, Vista or 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I like to use Windows 7 because this is the most common Windows OS for Home User , and this tests are watched by them + Microsoft has brought some security updates to this operating system so this will be as close as a test can get to 'real life' but like Win7holic said XP will take less resources so it's depends on how powerful your system is.

Answer : Windows 7.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For the next generation, Windows 7 would be the better OS for conducting Malware Testing, requirements isn't needed a high performance.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Windows XP in here, Still compatible with most hardware and uses less resources than Windows 7. Plus, You're testing security software right? Why not go with the least secure OS to see how well the security software protects?

D

Deleted member 178

BoXX28 said:
Windows XP in here, Still compatible with most hardware and uses less resources than Windows 7. Plus, You're testing security software right? Why not go with the least secure OS to see how well the security software protects?

exactly what i think.

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
I like to use XP for all the reasons of BoXX.

But also.. XP is much lighter as a install size also.. it is i believe less then 1GB download. So if you need to re-download it for any reason it will be fast and easy :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
K__M said:
I like to use XP for all the reasons of BoXX.

But also.. XP is much lighter as a install size also.. it is i believe less then 1GB download. So if you need to re-download it for any reason it will be fast and easy :)

XP might be less on the resources but people out there will have Windows 7 more then XP and 7 has more security features with it and that is the thing that you are testing.

D

Deleted member 178

McLovin said:
XP might be less on the resources but people out there will have Windows 7 more then XP

tell that in a remote poor country where computers cant run W7, XP is all they can run.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
BoXX28 said:
Remember McLovin, You are testing Security Software, You're not testing Security Features within Windows.

Yeah, true. I would still stick with Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.