Advice Request Malwarebytes 3.0 uses A LOT of CPU, RAM and slows down my computers. How about you?

• Thread starter RoadRashWolfenstein
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

How does Malwarebytes 3.0 (with real time protection enabled) impact your PC's performance ?

• A lot, i had to uninstall it.

Votes: 48 50.0%
  • A lot, i disabled some features.

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • It has some impact but it's acceptable.

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • No problem here, it's light as a feather !

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Bellow you will find my experience using the product. I made a poll because i thought it would be interesting to know how Malwarebytes impact users performance.

So i have Malwarebytes 3.0 installed on 3 PC, and it slows down the computers A LOT (when using Chrome or even seeing pictures in a folder). I also have Norton Security and SUPERAntiSpyware (real time protection disabled), but i have made the exclusions for all 3 softwares.

I have tried to uninstall Norton and SAS but it didn't change nothing. Malwarebytes uses A LOT of CPU when starting Chrome or opening a new tab (up to 30 or 40% for 10 or 20 seconds) and between 200 to 300mb of RAM constantly. If i uninstall Malwarebytes the computer becomes light again and works smoothly.

I have realized how ridiculous is the CPU usage when checking the system monitoring of Diskeeper. On the last 7 days Malwarebytes has used almost 45% of the CPU :eek: That is almost half of the total raw power of the PC. In comparison, Chrome has used only less than 5% and it used for hours every day. Norton uses so little power that it doesn't even appear on the list. It also uses the most disk usage. It is more or less the same thing on the 2 other computers.

The specs of my PCs also very decent (i5, 8gb RAM, SSD) and the other computer is even a gaming rig. They are on Windows 10 (clean install).

Therefore in the meantime i think i'll have to disable the real time protection features and just let the daily scan :( I hope Malwarebytes will fix this issue and make it lighter, as it seems i'm not the only one having this issue, and their product is really awesome besides that.

Here are some screenshots of the CPU and disk usage (system monitoring in Diskeeper):

CPU USAGE THE LAST 7 DAYS:
Malwarebytes CPU usage.JPG

DISK USAGE THE LAST 7 DAYS:
Malwarebytes disk usage.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
MB3 is just very bad. Poor detection rate, high resource usage and almost has no zero-day malware protection. according to some tests, it blocked malwares by the scanner, the rest was executed but it was completely silent

MB3 only has good a web blocker, thanks to their hphosts, good antiexploit module, great signature against PUPs, adwares which are usually missed by primary AVs
the antiransomware and antimalware/antivirus features are absolute jokes

if you follow the thread on Wilders, many many users are complaining about it and more people revert back to v2.2

Last edited:

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
last week I tried MB3 then it shows around 200MB on TM, ok uninstall, I tried to put 2nd layer aside my ESET SS 8, I also tried to put HMPA and my connection slowed down, my world of warcraft became a mess, ok uninstall, no 2nd layer, no threats found anyway

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Voted has some impact but it is acceptable.

When I ran the 30 day trial, I didn't notice too much of an impact, it just felt not as refined as version 2.2. I went back to version 2.2 after testing it due to it consuming about 350-400mb of ram. There are videos about MB 3.0 posted on the the video reviews and it has performed well. Video Review - Malwarebytes Premium V3 Review
I agree with the reviewer, if your computer can afford the resources to run it, it is pretty amazing for a new release.

B

beetal2015

Thread author
Yes, MBAM v.3.0.5 is causing blue screen of death !!!
lot of cpu usage, web protection going off frequently, just creating heavoc !
I think it's better to go to v.2
untill it's released in more better version.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I uninstalled MB months ago because of poor detection tests. It was basically useless against malware.

I have no desire to install a buggy MB3. By all reports it's garbage. Detection is still very poor.

MB really need to raise their game. They have fallen so far behind the composition I doubt they can recover.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Voted has some impact but it is acceptable.

When I ran the 30 day trial, I didn't notice too much of an impact, it just felt not as refined as version 2.2. I went back to version 2.2 after testing it due to it consuming about 350-400mb of ram. There are videos about MB 3.0 posted on the the video reviews and it has performed well. Video Review - Malwarebytes Premium V3 Review
I agree with the reviewer, if your computer can afford the resources to run it, it is pretty amazing for a new release.
I agree to some extend. However, it's not worth to spend that much resource for that limited level of protection
there are many better products with much lighter resource usage

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Thanks a lot @Evjl's Rain @novocaine @Svoll @beetal2015 @Vasudev @Zero Knowledge @askmark @Petrovic @carsten ibsen and @TheJokerz and all of you that participated to the poll ;)

I'm glad to know i'm not the only one having this issue. For those that don't have slow down issues, well i'm happy for guys. Maybe you have a powerful rig or it's just luck ?

Anyway it seems that version 3.0 won't give me a break. I've tried deactivating the real time protection, but even with pop-up notifications turned off, Malwarebytes still warns me that some protection are deactivated and propose to turn them on upon startup. I can just close the pop-up, but still it's annoying not being able to use the Premium version to just use the scheduled scans without having these warnings. They definitely forget the power users on that one...

In a post on the Malwarebytes forum, an administrator said "In addition to the above info, please be aware that certain notifications cannot be disabled, even when that setting is turned off" (see last post here).

I guess i'll have to deal with the pop-ups or just uninstall Malwarebytes. It's too bad cause i bought a 2 years license just a few months ago, and i can't help thinking HPA would have been a much lighter alternative, even though I've seen there is a few bugs now and there.

I doubt there can be any sort of update that could make MBAM 3.0 light, but an option to turn off real time protection pop-ups warning would be nice.

PS: I've quoted all of you guys in my message. Is this OK, or should i just have replied without doing that ? o_O

Adz.

Level 2
Verified
Dec 15, 2016
I got the trial version, after running it for 5 days. I disabled it completely from running on my pc. It took over 300mb of ram and it was eating my disk, slowed down my computer next level. I will only enable it when i see updates and improvements.

jelson

Level 2
Jun 14, 2011
I'm still using MBAM 2.2.1.1043 and looks like I'm not going to update until they fix those issues. :)

Same here... I'll give Malwarebytes a chance to get up to speed before trying ver 3.0... Has Malwarebytes shot themselves in the head by attempting to be more than they used to be?

(And MBAM was really, really good in its ver 1.x and 2.x incarnations... here's hoping they get it right. ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.