App Review Malwarebytes Browser Extension Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
malwarebytes/hphosts is always not the best against phishing but it certainly the best against malwares (compare to other chrome/firefox extensions). ublock with 3 million filters can't even beat it

EDIT: malwarebytes does conflict with ublock when they are trying to block the same trackers/ads => disable MB's ad blocker can prevent that

Last edited:

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
I had a question ,
If i already had Malwarebytes premium on my system ,
than i don't need to install the browser extension but still have same protection for malwarebytes/hphosts ,
am i right ?

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I had a question ,
than i don't need to install the browser extension but still have same protection for malwarebytes/hphosts ,
am i right ?
you are quite right
however, I don't know if MB3 has clickbait protection or not. Can't find any information about it in MB3
or clickbait protection is exclusive in malwarebytes extension

moreover, I don't know how updated MB3 is and if it uses cloud database or local database?
if my concerns are correct, MB extension is more up-to-date than MB3

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
MB3 has been experiencing some serious issues causing NETIO.SYS BSOD which they have so far been unable to resolve. On their forum they have been suggesting turning off its real time protection and using the browser extension instead to replace that functionality. Unfortunately this issue has been known for some time yet still remains unresolved causing many users to uninstall MB3. :emoji_disappointed:

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
you are quite right
however, I don't know if MB3 has clickbait protection or not. Can't find any information about it in MB3
or clickbait protection is exclusive in malwarebytes extension

moreover, I don't know how updated MB3 is and if it uses cloud database or local database?
if my concerns are correct, MB extension is more up-to-date than MB3

Thanks for answer ;)

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
Malwarebytes browser extension blocked legitimate sites. i uninstalled it.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I had a question ,
am i right ?

From exile360 at the MBAM Forums:

The browser extension has several behavior-based blocking components and additional heuristics which are not built into the Malwarebytes 3 Web Protection component (they can't be because they must be able to access the pages/content from "inside" the browser to see it/detect it and the Web Protection component operates from the network stack at the same level as the Windows Firewall) so there will definitely be cases where sites are blocked by the browser extension that are not currently in the Malwarebytes 3 Web Protection database(s).

So if you identify a site being blocked by the browser extension(s) that is not blocked by Web Protection alone (and of course assuming it is not a false positive) then yes, you may report it to the Research team so that they may look into adding it to the MB3 Web Protection block list/black list.

This is one of the big advantages of this new technology. It provides additional blocking capabilities and works hand in hand with the Web Protection component in Malwarebytes 3, enhancing what it can do (though it's not required to have both, though more malicious content is blocked if you do have both obviously).

~and~

...the extensions rely more on signature-less behavior-based detection, so they are able to block new/unknown malicious sites that Web Protection won't until the Research team becomes aware of them. It also blocks certain categories, such as some ads and tracking servers that aren't targeted by the Web Protection component in MB3. The extensions are designed to work in tandem with the Web Protection in MB3, however, they can also function separately without it. When used with it, they can speed up browsing when web blocks from MB3 occur because they act sort of like a local server, speeding up the lookup (you'll often notice a delay in your browser when a site is blocked by MB3; this delay practically vanishes when using the browser plugins if the block was triggered by your browser and the block page tends to load much more quickly). So the browser extensions are standalone tools that serve a somewhat similar purpose but accomplish it in a very different way which makes them more proactive, at least against specific types of sites such as tech support scam sites, clickbait sites and certain other categories of threats, plus their targeting of additional items not normally blocked by M, malicious C&C servers or just sites that are hosting malware binaries or exploits but are structurally/behaviorally no different from any normal/safe site). B3. At the same time, other malicious sites that can't really be blocked behaviorally because they're not obviously different in any meaningful way (other than hosting malware, obviously) from normal websites need to be included in a database/block list like the tech in MB3's Web Protection component (for example, malicious C&C servers or just sites that are hosting malware binaries or exploits but are structurally/behaviorally no different from any normal/safe site).

Malwarebytes for Chrome vs Malwarebytes Premium detections

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.