Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG

The fastest and safest web browsing experience.
Malwarebytes for Chrome delivers a safer and faster web browsing experience. It blocks malicious websites while filtering out unwanted content (resulting in up to 3x faster webpage load times).

Made by the same folks who brought you Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, this is the world’s first browser extension that can identify and block previously-unidentified fake tech support scams and their tactics. It crushes pop-ups, browser hijacker and browser lockers with ease.

Malwarebytes for Chrome blocks clickbait links, stops in-browser cryptojackers (unwanted cryptocurrency miners), and gives other malicious content the boot.

This unobtrusive, lightweight tool also incorporates standard browser protection features, including ad blocking, ad tracker blocking, and known malicious websites.

Benefits
•Protection from tech support scammers: Blocks browser hijackers, and browser lockers, which are used by scammers to drive victims to call centers that use scare tactics to sell expensive technical support.
•Faster web page load times: Popular websites download a lot of unwanted content in the background. By filtering out clickbait and ads, Malwarebytes for Chrome can speed up your webpage load time by up to 3x times, saving your sanity and bandwidth.
•Prevents visits to malicious pages: Protects you from inadvertently visiting bad websites that host malware content, load bitcoin miners in the background, which slow down your computer, steal your identity (phishing), and a long list of other obnoxious behaviors that can make your online experience less than stellar.
•Keeps your privacy private: Blocks third-party ad trackers that follow you around the Internet and target you with the same ads over and over again.

Features
•Malware protection: Blocks malicious programs or code that can damage your system.
•Scam protection: Blocks online scams, including technical support scams, browser lockers, and phishing.
•Advertising/tracker protection: Blocks third-party ads and third-party ad trackers that monitor your online activity. The number of blocked ads/trackers for a website will show beside the Malwarebytes logo in your browser.
•Clickbait protection: Blocks content and websites that often display behavior of questionable value.
•Potentially unwanted program (PUP) protection: Blocks the downloading of potentially unwanted programs, including toolbars and pop-ups.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Sweet! Thanks for sharing! I wonder how well this will really work in the real world?
it's really good
you can visit 2 tests I did here. malwarebytes is equivalent to ublock origin with custom filters
Poll - [Updated 23/3/18] Browser extension comparison: Malwares and Phishings

also in the new test
Microsoft Launches Windows Defender Extension for Google Chrome

malwarebytes blocked 0/5 phishing and 14/15 malwares => 14/20
=> MB is quite weak against phishing but very very good against malwares

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Do you think you can run a comparative test between MB and UBO with filters against malwares, phishing, coin miners, social media plugins etc?
UBO with custom filters is better than MB against coinminers and social media plugins
against phishing, I don't know because there are no good filter against phishing for UBO except hphosts by malwarebytes
malwares: MB is better. I'm testing a new UBO filter, which is quite good against malwares but I don't think it's as good as MB

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
UBO with custom filters is better than MB against coinminers and social media plugins
against phishing, I don't know because there are no good filter against phishing for UBO except hphosts by malwarebytes
malwares: MB is better. I'm testing a new UBO filter, which is quite good against malwares but I don't think it's as good as MB
How about hpHosts PSH filter from filterlists.com for UBO? Have you tested this filter against phishing sites?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
yes, that one but I still recommend MB over using hphosts because it will increase resource usage if we add it to UBO. MB is slightly more updated (realtime) and has heuristics where hphosts doesn't (once a day)
I tested it in my tests

openphish list is another alternative
https://openphish.com/feed.txt
Actually, many AV/AM's surf protection/web protection comes with phishing protection as well so there's no need to add unnecessary extension

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Actually, many AV/AM's surf protection/web protection comes with phishing protection as well so there's no need to add unnecessary extension
in fact, most MT users don't care about phishing because we can recognize them
browser's phishing filter is good enough
we only need good malware filters

I have so many layers against malware URLs
ublock (squidblack) + Norton + WD + MB + Google safe browsing

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
in fact, most MT users don't care about phishing because we can recognize them
browser's phishing filter is good enough
we only need good malware filters

I have so many layers against malware URLs
ublock (squidblack) + Norton + WD + MB + Google safe browsing
Your AV/AM should also take good care of malware with its surf/web protection feature so no need to have so many duplicate extensions against malware

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Your AV/AM should take good care of malware so no need to have so many duplicate extensions against malware
more is better because it will decrease the chance of malware getting into my system and my AV will have to work less
since I have added these extensions, they have been blocking tons of links and files
in the past, my AV didn't block that much and very regular missed links

they don't conflict and don't consume too much resource so I don't find it redundant to have them
in fact, it's much lighter than most of our AV's web filters (kaspersky, avast,...). Even 3 of them are still lighter than 1 AV web filter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.