Compare Protection MalwareBytes free vs. Zemana free vs. Hitman Pro vs. Emsisoft EK Best 2nd line of defence for PC?

Discussion in 'Compare Apps' started by KillerSpy007, Dec 29, 2017.

1. KillerSpy007

KillerSpy007 Level 1

Dec 29, 2017
    India
    Windows 10
    Comodo
    What is the best on demand free Malware scanner and Remover which can be considered as a good companion with main AV program?

bribon77 likes this.
  2. Syafiq

Syafiq Level 7

May 8, 2017
    Student
    Indonesia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    They're just a free on demand scanner, not a free second line defense of your pc. For best free second line of defense of your pc is Voodooshield, IMO :)

3. Dhruv2193

Dhruv2193 Level 3

Nov 7, 2016
    India
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    If you are talking about on demand scanners, then 1.Emsisoft, 2.zemana and 3.malwarebytes.

4. Sunshine-boy

Sunshine-boy Level 22

Apr 1, 2017
    IRAN
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Best: Hitman pro, Trend micro housecall!

Siavash, Behold Eck, bribon77 and 2 others like this.
  5. XhenEd

XhenEd Level 27
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 1, 2014
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    To me:
    1st. Zemana AntiMalware Free (multiple engine)
    2nd. HitmanPro (quad engine)
    3rd. Emsisoft Emergency Kit (dual engine)
    4th. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free (single engine)

Well, since those are 2nd opinion scanners, why not use them all? No need to choose. :)

6. jerzy601

jerzy601 Level 13

Jun 20, 2011
    Windows 8.1
    ESET
    for me, these 4 items are the best.
    only the selection belongs to the user of the equipment he has.(y)

7. amico81

amico81 Level 7

Jan 10, 2017
    Germany
    Windows 10
    G-Data
    My experience and sequence:

1. Hitman pro
    2. Zemana Antimalware ( Tendency falling)
    3. Emsisoft Emergency Kit
    4. Norton Power Eraser
    5.Panda Cloud Cleaner
    6. Malwarebytes Antimalware ( Tendency falling)

8. carsten ibsen

carsten ibsen Level 20

Sep 18, 2016
    retired
    denmark
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    1.Malwarebytes.
    2.HitmanPro.
    3.Zemana.:love:

9. mamamia

mamamia Level 2

Feb 27, 2016
    world
  10. Evjl's Rain

Evjl's Rain Level 29
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 18, 2016
    Vietnam
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    #10 Evjl's Rain, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    1/ Zemana: free, portable (but with some traces), fast speed, easy removal process. Not good great against brand new executable malwares (.exe) but extremely useful against already infected PCs, fileless malwares and PUPs. In default scan option, it doesn't scan Users folder so this should be scanned after the default scan. Very good detection rate which tends to be more updated than EEK

2/ HMP: free to use but only free to cleanup for 14 days. Slower scanning speed and slow upload speed. Very good detection rate and tends to be the most updated scanner out there. Very poor against fileless malwares but quite effective against new .exe malwares (which zemana is not good at)

3/ EEK: free, very fast scanning speed, very effective with the best detection rate but requires signature update, which can take some time due to large size. Very good against .exe malwares but doesn't seem to be the most updated scanner. It seems to be quite poor if the malware is brand new (<1-2 days). HMP and Zemana are more updated, IMO. Effective if the PC is infected after 1-2 days

4/ Malwarebytes: good against trojans, ransomwares and PUPs (maybe the best or second best against PUPs) but there is no official portable version. Scanning speed is OK. Poorest detection rate against regular malwares. Not recommended

5/ Norton Power Eraser: free, very fast scanning speed. It's like a file reputation checker rather than a signature-based scanner. Files with a low number of users and files known to have poor reputation will be listed regardless of their safety so it's extremely prone to false positives and can be dangerous if the user cannot distinguish which file is safe, which is not safe. Due to their low number of users, malwares tend to be detected by NPE although they are all missed by the other signature-based scanners. Very helpful but use with caution

6/ ESET online scanner: relatively slower scanning speed than all the above. Very good detection rate and tends to be the most updated, much better than EEK (in the first 1-2 days when EEK hasn't got the signatures for the malwares yet). Super effective against PUPs in default mode and a bit aggressive if PUP detection is selected

I'm using the ones in bold

11. bribon77

bribon77 Level 11

Jul 6, 2017
    spain
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    For my.
    Hitman pro.
    EEk.
    Zemana.
    Norton Power Eraser.

Behold Eck likes this.
  12. Telos

Telos Level 8

Jan 29, 2017
    Baana
    Agree. However, I would remove Malwarebytes Antimalware (and I have a lifetime license) as v3 has not been proven to offer substantial malware/ransomware protection (try and find an independent youtube video that adds to your confidence), and continues its childish outrage against all IObit softwares. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware classifies many useful progs as PUPs and removes them without hesitation, or user approval.

KillerSpy007 and amico81 like this.
  13. Lightning_Brian

Lightning_Brian Level 8

Sep 1, 2017
    Information Technology
    USA
    Windows 10
    Norton
    Personally, I would recommend that everyone use Emsisoft Emergency Kit! This is now my favorite second opinion scanner by far! The close second is Zemana Antimalware and third would be Norton Power Eraser.

Everyone that I help always gets these free tools from me, because I have seen how effective these tools are in catching the 'bad stuff'

I use to be a large believer in Malwarebytes Antimalware. Like @Telos I too have a lifetime license/subscription, but V3 is not as effective as one may think it is. In fact, I wouldn't recommend using Malwarebytes at the moment. The low detection with the use of Malwarebytes is alarming.

Hitman Pro is great too! While you may only get a trial you can keep it on your computer long after your trial is done and use it. While it may not delete the malware or the 'bad stuff' after the trial you now know where the bad stuff is and can remove it with the other tools mentioned above such as with EEK, Zemana or NPE.

I couldn't agree more with @XhenEd ! Personally I'd use NPE, EEK, and Zemana as second opinion scanners! One could use them all, because well.... These are all second opinion on demand scanners!

~Brian

14. insanity

insanity Level 4

Oct 9, 2016
    somewhere
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    In my personal experience:
    1) Zemana
    2) Norton Power Eraser
    3) EEK
    4) Hitman Pro

Zemana: good combination of speed and detection rate.
    Norton Power Eraser is also great, but it tends to have more FPs, so I would only recommend it for advanced users.
    EEK seems is a bit heavy during update (like EAM) and sometimes is buggy.
    Hitman Pro: good if you have an internet connection. But if you perform a right-click scan, HMP only scans the folder you select and ignores subfolders, which is a big disadvantage IMO.
    Malwarebytes: only for scanning PUP/adware. I wouldn't recommended it anymore, even though I have a lifetime licence.

15. 212eta

212eta Level 7

May 11, 2011
    Windows Desktop
    Windows 10
    Isolation
    1. HitmanPro
    2. Zemana Antimalware
    3. Panda Cloud Cleaner
    4. Norton Power Eraser
    5. Emsisoft Emergency Kit
    6. Malwarebytes Antimalware

16. CyberTech

CyberTech Level 2

Nov 10, 2017
    Vouch clerk
    At your girlfriend's home
    Windows 10
    Avast
    No free, Malwarebytes Premium & Zemana Anti-Malware Premium...

dinosaur07 likes this.
  17. dinosaur07

dinosaur07 Level 3

Aug 5, 2012
    Bucharest
    Zemana AntiMalware and if possible for you try to get the premium version.

18. Faybert

Faybert Level 10
    AV Tester

Jan 8, 2017
    Brasil
    Windows 10
    G-Data
    1 - Emsisoft Emergency Kit
    2 - HitmanPro
    3 - Zemana AntiMalware
    (y)

Chimaira and Umbra like this.