Solved Malwarebytes removed 2 targets, after reboot desktop is black with cmd window open

squirrels

Thread author
Jun 17, 2019
Hello,

I used malwarebytes to perform a check just in case as I read about a friends malware incident. Using Malwarebytes, it found 2 threats that it quarantined. It informed me that rebooting was necessary to finish the operation. After rebooting, as I log in (I am the only user account), the desktop is black and a cmd prompt is open. I can run programs.

Edit: I thought my malwarebytes was up to date as I updated it before running the scan, but apparently it is version 3.3.1, which seems to be from september 2017. I've now updated it to the latest version, and it has found no new threats.

Targets Malwarebytes put in quarantine (where they remain as of now) are:
Trojan.Agent.TskLnk
RiskWare.BitCoinMiner.COMSPECRST

I downloaded FRST and ran a scan. Frst and addition notepad files are attached. From my understanding, I would need a "fixlist" for FRST now. Can someone provide me with one, or instruct me on how to proceed?

Thank you.

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    62.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Addition.txt
    152.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

squirrels

Thread author
Jun 17, 2019
Hello TwinHeadedEagle,

here's the reports. "malwarebytereport" is the first report that caught the threats, "malwarebytereportclean" is the second scan with updated software that turned up nothing.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• malwarebytereport.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 3
  • malwarebytereportclean.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 0

squirrels

Thread author
Jun 17, 2019
I see, there was a bitcoin miner on your system. How is your system behaving now?

Apart from not having desktop/toolbar at the bottom, I am able to use the computer normally via cmd lines and the task manager. I didn't notice adverse performance before the malwarebytes scan, and other than the previously mentioned issue havent run to other problems now.

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.