Solved Mandiant Virus on LG Google Smart TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith W Carlson

Thread author
Nov 3, 2015
I have an LG google smart tv and yesterday when i turned it on it popped up the mandiant virus message. I can not get anywhere to try and reset or download anything.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I have an LG google smart tv and yesterday when i turned it on it popped up the mandiant virus message. I can not get anywhere to try and reset or download anything.
Hello,
Where are you seeing this fake alert ..within the browser or it's everywhere? A picture would help...
Did you tried to disconnect from the Internet and unplug the TV? Also I would reset the router to its default settings!
This is most likely you are seeing a webpage with a malicious javascript..
Do not send any money to these cyber criminals as this is just a scam!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It can be appreciate if more detailed information on how you encounter this kind of annoying 'virus', what situation as you suffer this?

According to a thread like this .

The environment of a Smart TV should not infect easily since the part of executing a program is different than from Desktop and Laptop + only recognized preinstalled program are able to execute well, I think you should follow the advice by @Jack.

Reactions: frogboy
Upvote 0

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Your case seems extremely strange. Does the problem persist across reboots?

Mandiant is an actual company, and accordingly there is no information of any sort that they have just undertaken such an operation.

Meanwhile, several ransom ware families are using its name to hold user's PCs ransom. However, LG TVs run on a linux based OS, and I don't think there is any ransom ware disguising as Mandiant on the linux platform yet.

Off topic: Imagine a world where medical devices start becoming "smart" and ransom wares can literally hold your life ransom :)

Reactions: Ink
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does this appear on-screen, or similar?
20151030_085013.jpg
I woke up this morning and the Google TV (55GA7900) showed the FBI ransomware…
Try:
To everyone that has been having an "Please wait while we load" issue, I've…

Via (Google TV Community - LG TV - Community - Google+)

Upvote 0

Keith W Carlson

Thread author
Nov 3, 2015
Below is the message we are getting on our LG google tv.(I do not have the screen shot with me as it is on my spouse's phone.) We get the message as soon as we power on the tv, regardless of how it is turned on. I believe it it first popped up after my spouse was waiting for the system update to load. We have unplugged it waited and plugged it back in, that didn't fix it. We have not rebooted because we could not get anywhere on the tv. We will follow the reboot guidelines posted within this thread tonight and see how it goes. We called LG support and they told us it was not possible to have this happen. We sent a screenshot to them and they said hmmm..... we'll get a tech on it. Thank you to all who have responded and I am anxious to get home and see if this reboot works. I'll let you know.

Attachments

• mandiant-usa-cyber-security.jpg
    mandiant-usa-cyber-security.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 714
Reactions: LabZero and Ink
Upvote 0

Keith W Carlson

Thread author
Nov 3, 2015
Thank you all so much for your input. We followed some advice in this thread and were able to factory reset. All is working and family is happy. I am so, so glad I found this site, the LG tech was going to charge $250.00 to come out and do ehat I'm sure would be the same thing we were able to do ourselves. Again, thank you to everyone who commented on this post.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.