Solved margamish locks my homepage in Safari

Infected operating system
Mac OS 10.11.6
Infected device issues
when I go to preferences, type in a new homepage in place of searchv.margamish etc no luck, still stays locked on

DonB

Thread author
Jun 28, 2019
searcv.margamish piggy backed on a file I downloaded. It now controls my homepage in Safari. I've done usual deleted new files, etc & have run Malwarebytes. It found 3 infected files & deleted them. Still have the problem. Can't see anything suspicious in Activity monitor

Reactions: oldschool

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello @DonB,
Let's check if there are any malicious extensions installed on your browser:

1. On the menu bar, click the “Safari” menu and select “Preferences”.
2. This will open a new window with your Safari preferences, opened to the “General” tab. Some browser hijackers may change your default homepage, so in the Homepage field make sure it’s a web page you want to use as your start-up page.
3. Next, click on the “Extensions” tab.
4. The “Extensions” screen will be displayed with a list of all the extensions installed on Safari. Scroll through the list until you find the SearchMine extension, and then click on “Uninstall” to remove it. By default, there are no extensions installed on Safari.

Let me know which homepage was set in Safari, and what extension you have installed.

jlinich

Jul 8, 2019
I didn't see Searchmine in my applications I followed all the other instructions and it is still the search engine. It is still a default search engine

rborel

Aug 8, 2019
Check to see if you have any crontab entries that weren't there. I just found 2 entries on my daughters. One was set to re-add every 5min and the second was set to re-add @reboot. Removed both of those entries, uninstalled Chrome and re-installed using appcleaner. Seems to be gone now.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.