Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook page will be deleted on Sunday, says hacker (Update: Cancelled)

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
The event is scheduled to be streamed on Facebook Live

A Taiwanese “white hat” hacker claims he’ll broadcast himself hacking Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook page on Sunday, reports Bloomberg. Writing in a Facebook post to his 26,000 followers, Chang Chi-yuan promised to delete the Facebook founder’s account, and broadcast himself doing so on Facebook Live. Chang is a well-known hacker in Taiwan, according to Bloomberg.

Chang, and his Facebook page, are listed as a “Special Contributor” in Line Corp.’s bug bounty hall of fame for 2016, and was reportedly sued by a local bus operator for hacking into its system and buying a ticket for a single Taiwanese dollar (equivalent to 3 US cents). The hacker has also posted screenshots of Facebook’s responses to his bug reports.

Broadcasting the deletion of Zuck’s account
Chang has previously written about using hacking to earn money. Facebook has an ongoing bug bounty program where it says it will “recognize and reward” security researchers who report vulnerabilities in its service.

If successful, this will not be the first time Zuckerberg’s page has been hacked. Back in 2011 a hacker managed to successfully post a status update from Zuckerberg’s account, encouraging the founder to let users invest in the social media network and turn it into a “social business.”

The audacious spectacle, assuming Facebook doesn’t put a stop to it, is scheduled to begin Sunday at 6pm local time. Globally, that translates to 3AM in San Francisco / 6AM New York / 11AM London / 12PM Berlin / 1PM Moscow / 3:30PM Delhi / 6PM Beijing / 7PM Tokyo / 8PM Sydney.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
running-around-smiley-emoticon.gif
Oh, something to look forward to on a boring Sunday (hopefully) Pity they couldn't delete Mr Zuckerberg himself :ROFLMAO:

fl00dz

Level 1
Sep 6, 2018
Definitely interesting. I like how he cancelled his request and the article called him a "White Hat Hacker". The fact that he was going to delete this profile, puts him as a Black Hat. After he changed his mind and reported the bug, I would consider him a Gray Hat. Both are still extremely far from White Hat though.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
After receiving international attention, however, the self-professed bug bounty hunter (someone who looks for software flaws in exchange for money) made another post on Friday saying that he was canceling his plan to avoid unnecessary trouble. “There will still be a lot of people questioning my ability even after I find many bugs and earn a copious amount of bounty, and I shouldn’t try to prove myself by toying with Zuck’s account,” he wrote.
Taiwanese Hacker Backs Out on Threat of Deleting Mark Zuckerberg's in Livestream

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.