MarzametaL's System Software Configuration (OEM)

marzametal

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Answers elaborated upon...

In relation to Computer Knowledge:
5 years or so ago, I would've selected Advanced

In relation to Last known malware infection:
REAL destructive malware? Cannot remember
BREAD CRUMB low level malware? Over a year ago

In relation to Web Browser(s):
Internet Explorer 11 (only for sites rejected in Cyberfox due to SSL3 support removal)

Last edited:

marzametal

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Windows Services - hardened as mentioned in the documentation located in signature
Windows 7 Tweaks -
a) Registry tweaks - numerous to mention, mainly cosmetic changes, some were in-depth...
b) reduced reads/writes to SSD via
  • Administrative Tools --> Performance Monitor --> Data Collector Sets --> Startup Event Trace Sessions --> disabled most of them, except EventLog(Application/Security/System)... some others kicked up a fuss, so I left them as is.
  • Administrative Tools --> Task Scheduler --> T S Library --> Microsoft --> Windows --> RAC --> disable RacTask
Pagefile - set to zero
Hibernation - disabled
Startup & Recovery --> System Failure --> Write Debugging Information --> Selected "none" (risky, but hey... always got backups)
Data Execution Prevention --> turned on for all programs

OTMS

Level 1
Verified
Jan 29, 2015
Looks like very good config,i take from you this Shadow defender very good software!
also what so special on CyberFox? i see too many peoples using it instead normal firefox.

Reactions: marzametal

marzametal

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Looks like very good config,i take from you this Shadow defender very good software!
also what so special on CyberFox? i see too many peoples using it instead normal firefox.

Hi OTMS...

Yes, Shadow Defender is a really great product. It is like a security blanket on your hard disk, so no matter what you do (certain conditions apply), when you reboot, everything will return to the way it was. If you want to install a program to see if it fits in with your setup and test it out for a while, you can. If you decide to get rid of it, just exit Shadow Mode, reboot and your system will look like it did before you installed and tested. Small product, big punch.

It also allows you to set a password, so no one but you can go back into your system and make changes. It has a section for folders and files that you want to exclude from defending. This comes in handy for Download Managers, which split up one file into multiple files and need direct access to reassemble the file. Shadow Defender also offers encryption of write cache, for example all the stuff you do while in Shadow Mode will take up space. That space can be encrypted so no perves can have a read :) This is just a short explanation. Here is a proper review by UmbraPolaris - http://malwaretips.com/threads/review-shadow-defender.12646/

In regards to CyberFox, FireFox, WHATEVERFox... I believe it all comes down to how long you have been using the Internet, and how much control you desire over what you use/do on the Internet. Remember at the beginning, first steps on the internet, it was all about Microsoft Internet Explorer. Then you get more logic and wisdom and you realise there is Mozilla Firefox. Eventually, you come across dedicated spinoffs, like Waterfox, Cyberfox, Torch, Chromium etc... For myself, I was just sick of the plain Firefox, wanted something different with a another level of impact; something that was designed for 64 bit operating systems and designed for Intel chipsets (Cyberfox has a specific browser release for Intel and for AMD).

It all comes down to what makes you tick, and what you feel you will enjoy. Don't knock back IE11, it still has its uses :)

Reactions: OTMS

OTMS

Level 1
Verified
Jan 29, 2015
Hi OTMS...

Yes, Shadow Defender is a really great product. It is like a security blanket on your hard disk, so no matter what you do (certain conditions apply), when you reboot, everything will return to the way it was. If you want to install a program to see if it fits in with your setup and test it out for a while, you can. If you decide to get rid of it, just exit Shadow Mode, reboot and your system will look like it did before you installed and tested. Small product, big punch.

It also allows you to set a password, so no one but you can go back into your system and make changes. It has a section for folders and files that you want to exclude from defending. This comes in handy for Download Managers, which split up one file into multiple files and need direct access to reassemble the file. Shadow Defender also offers encryption of write cache, for example all the stuff you do while in Shadow Mode will take up space. That space can be encrypted so no perves can have a read :) This is just a short explanation. Here is a proper review by UmbraPolaris - http://malwaretips.com/threads/review-shadow-defender.12646/

In regards to CyberFox, FireFox, WHATEVERFox... I believe it all comes down to how long you have been using the Internet, and how much control you desire over what you use/do on the Internet. Remember at the beginning, first steps on the internet, it was all about Microsoft Internet Explorer. Then you get more logic and wisdom and you realise there is Mozilla Firefox. Eventually, you come across dedicated spinoffs, like Waterfox, Cyberfox, Torch, Chromium etc... For myself, I was just sick of the plain Firefox, wanted something different with a another level of impact; something that was designed for 64 bit operating systems and designed for Intel chipsets (Cyberfox has a specific browser release for Intel and for AMD).

It all comes down to what makes you tick, and what you feel you will enjoy. Don't knock back IE11, it still has its uses :)

Thanks alot for all this information,i just got this shadow defender and i will start to use it soon and see how its works for me.
about cyberfox,what the different if you using this special edition for 64bit+intel ? its have more benefits from the original firefox?

Im using now chrome and its very nice but stuck somtimes if i opening 50-60 tabs ^^

marzametal

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Installed:
  • CCleaner - Registered version (thanks to @Cats-4_Owners-2 for reminding me about this application)
  • Toolwiz Time Freeze 2015 (this will be good for updating exported browser add-on files while offline)

Later that day... removed:
  • CCleaner - Registered version: Don't see the point, keeping PrivaZer
  • Toolwiz Time Freeze 2015: D'oh! Forgot to include excluded folders, killed Cyberfox profile. Ahem *did a System Restore prior to installing both applications... activated and all is well now...*

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Oh boy, ..AdGuard for IE!!:) @Marin Eres , your configuration thread was quite interesting, and such fun to read!:cool: From my own medium vantage point, it's seemingly worthy of advanced status.;) I may (cleanly) walk in the way of PrivaZer myself!:p
System Restore has rectified my own system disturbances (more times than I'd care to admit) ...bringing peace once more to the galaxy and 'restoring' balance to The Force!:p:D Thanks for sharing your continuing adventures, and may the Shadow Mode be with you!:):)

PS I think you would enjoy test driving the many free linux distros (distributions) within Virtual Box; and really like it!!:D Read all about it on Softpedia. There is also an extensive linux section there too.;)

marzametal

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
PS I think you would enjoy test driving the many free linux distros (distributions) within Virtual Box; and really like it!!:D Read all about it on Softpedia. There is also an extensive linux section there too.;)
It's been chipping away at me for some time now... I really feel content with Windows 7 at the moment, now that I am introducing and practicising the art of backing up/restoring my OS. I've used VirtualBox a handful of times, mostly for testing and troubleshooting tunnelled VPN connections. Ya' never know, this bloke might turn *NIXy... lol!

marzametal

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
  • Replaced LastPass with KeyPassX...
EDIT: Decent program this is... loving the detachment from browser... no addons/plugins/extensions required. There is one downside though, only Linux offers autofill. So, for Windows users, they will have to Ctrl+B to copy username, and then Ctrl+C to copy password.
  • Added KeyScrambler Premium
  • Control Panel - Programs & Features - Turn Windows features on or off
    • only 3 remain ticked: Games, IE11, Windows Search
EDIT: Now to find an alternative for Winamp, since it cannot be bought and can't be bothered with a patch or serial. I heard Fubar2000 is good, but not sure if it can burn CDs?

Last edited:

marzametal

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Security modification:
  • Swapped Emsisoft Antimalware for Emsisoft Emergency Kit (run via USB)
  • Added Comodo Cleaning Essentials to USB
  • Added Super AntiSpyware to USB
  • Swapped MBAM Pro from On-Demand to Real-Time
Tried to change partitions around using Acronis TrueImage 2015 and Windows 7 on USB. In theory it worked, all the way to the end. Then theory turned into poo. Damn USB fetishes; should've known there were better ways... kudos to the person who posted the MiniTool giveaway thread. *I went with MiniTool Partition Wizard Professional Edition*

This thing is off its head! Within a matter of minutes, I went from 60GB/60GB to 30GB/10GB/80GB... within minutes!!! ... and that included a shrink, format, merge, letter changes, volume labels with only one click on the Apply button. Oh, did I mention the prompt to reboot after I didn't want to close any applications down in Windows, so my changes were committed? Still, with all that, including the reboot, which flieeesssss but you can still see what's going on... real DOS-style GUI... loved it. I miss that dark blue!

My goodness I was laughing like The Joker from the Batman movies muhahahaha what an evil program... glory within minutes!

Last edited:

marzametal

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Modification:
  • Installed NoVirusThanks EXE Radar Pro: going to use this to complement MBAM, Shadow Defender and SpyShelter Premium as active protectors...
  • Installed Avira Antivirus 2015 Free: didn't see a choice in wizard configuration for Secure Boot vs Normal Boot... so made a mod in registry...
  • Installed Zemana Antimalware Portable: (currently trialling this piece of software). So far so good, naturally unticked Avira from the cloud searches due to the above point. Also read somewhere that it isn't fully portable yet... appdata/local and system32 contain Zemana related stuff...
  • AdGuard for Windows (IE11 specifically): AG team lead couldn't replicate my issue, so I am taking a cheap approach to fixing it... I stop and disable the AG service, log onto my VPN and then re-enable and start the AG service. Works!
  • Shadow Defender: downgraded from 1.4.0.578 to 1.4.0.518
  • Re-installed CCleaner to make use of the CCEnhancer extension (removed 650mb in first run!!!)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.