Massive Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15002 arrives on Fast ring -- and it's a doozy!

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The holidays are over, and so it’s time for a new Windows 10 Insider Preview build to hit the Fast ring.

While we’ve been waiting for Microsoft to find a build that’s considered safe, and stable enough for testers to try, there have been a couple of leaked releases -- 14997 and 15002. Installing either of those was not without its risks, but the big news is if you’re a good Insider and have been waiting patiently for an official build, the wait is over. And boy, has Microsoft got a treat for us with this release.

The software giant has selected Build 15002 for the Fast ring, and this is a huge update, delivering a ton of new features, some of which we’ve covered previously from the leaked versions, including the new GSOD (Green Screen of Death), and the ability to pause updates for up to 35 days (on Pro, Education and Enterprise editions).

The full list of changes is very long, and probably not fully exhaustive either, but here’s what you can look forward to.

Microsoft Edge changes

Microsoft's browser isn’t making much headway in its battle with Firefox and Chrome, but this new build introduces a lot of improvements to it.

There’s a new tab preview bar, which makes it easier to find the tab you want, and the ability to set tabs aside, so you can come back to them later.

You can now launch new browser windows (regular and InPrivate) from the Edge taskbar icon and, as we mentioned previously, Flash has been made click-to-run.

Edge also gains preview support for the new Payment Request API so sites can use payment and shipping preferences stored in Microsoft Wallet. You can’t actually buy anything using this at this moment though.

Start Improvements

In this new build you can now group Start tiles into folders, which is a great idea. The process of creating a group is the same as in iOS -- just drag one tile on top of another.

The Windows Share experience has been redesigned too, including introducing 'ads' to the window

OneNote 2016’s screenshot feature is now available in Windows 10, and there’s improved high-DPI support for desktop apps, which is a very welcome addition for those of us with large, high-resolution screens.

Window resizing is smoother now, and there have been improvements made to icon placement and scaling. VPN access has been made easier, and there’s now lunar calendar support for the Taskbar. I can hear you shouting 'Hooray' from here.

Cortana Improvements

What would a new Insider build be without changes and improvements to Cortana? In this build, discovery of Cortana’s app-specific commands has been made easier, there are more recurrence options for reminders, and the keyboard shortcut for invoking Cortana has changed to Win+C, which makes sense.

Windows Ink Improvements

For those of you who like scribbling in Windows (that includes me), Microsoft has introduced some improvements to the Windows Ink Workspace. The pen, pencil and highlighter now show which color is selected, and there’s the option to erase some of an ink stroke, rather than all of it.

Windows Defender Improvements

Windows Defender was given an app-makeover in the last build, and in this release there are new options to run quick, advanced and full scans, new device performance and health scans, and other changes. There’s also a Refresh Windows on demand option available to run directly from Defender should things start to go really bad.

Miscellaneous Improvements

Microsoft has made it easier to set up Windows 10, there are various Narrator improvements, and the introduction of Braille support in this build.

Settings has been made easier and faster to navigate, device settings have been updated, there are new display settings, and a lower blue light feature which will make using Windows at night more comfortable on the eyes.

There’s metered Ethernet connection support, and improvements to the precision touchpad experience.

Windows Personalization supports recent colors, and theme management is now available in Settings.

There are other changes to updates besides simply being able to pause them -- Windows 10 won’t attempt to install an update if it detects you’re using your PC for something like projecting the screen -- and you can decide whether or not to include driver updates when you update Windows.

Read more:
Wow! Massive Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 15002 arrives on Fast ring -- and it's a doozy!

Paul123

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 9, 2016
I do like the new look for Defender. I'm starting to quite like the Windows 10 flat theme.

Lenovo has already introduced the 'blue light reduction in the evening' to their computers in their settings app. I do think it helps. Ive used f.lux on my Apple iTouch for quite a while. It was one of the reasons I initially jailbroke it. I think Apple now have blue light reduction built in the O/S. Funny how they often pinch ideas that were Cydia apps in the past, and then claim them as their own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasudev and DardiM

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Since the Anniversary Update I have been using Tablet Mode more often, it's great time to make the switch if you haven't already. High hopes for further improvements in Creator's Update.

Reactions: Vasudev and DardiM

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
my next system is debian or whatever distro for calm job, i have ubuntu and every day that appear more programs, i encourage to enter linux for not return.
Wrong thread. :D

No one is FORCING you to use Windows 10. If you look at the wider picture, Windows 10 is only used by a small proportion of systems compared to Android, iOS, PS4 runs Unix-like Orbis OS, and many other devices.

This system is good, but I would have to get a super pc to use it to the thousand marvels.
Not true.

Reactions: DardiM

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
i feel lag with the passage of time, very slow at restart system, many things sometimes do not load correctly. new instalation without third programs.
Depends on your system specifications (hardware)? | Link

Windows 10 AU runs smooth on an Intel Core i7 4th-gen.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Wrong thread. :D

No one is FORCING you to use Windows 10. If you look at the wider picture, Windows 10 is only used by a small proportion of systems compared to Android, iOS, PS4 runs Unix-like Orbis OS, and many other devices.

Not true.
It is true for many users, if its working good in your sys doesn't mean that its the same for others I have I5 and way to slow on the other hand it work good on dual core B940

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.