Advice Request What happened to Matousec.com?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Everyone who know Matousec.com project will be probably surprised how looks that page at present...actualy it doesn't look at all

I've checked info about domain and it looks that page was compromissed or just deleted by new owner.
MatouSec.com WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools
Whois Lookup Results • Namecheap.com

No matter how controversial tests they've done and how they was interpreted but there was a lot of info and its lost is not good in my opinion.

ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Matousec was primarily testing firewalls for consumers, which are pretty much dead, so is the webpage.
Yes, I know about firewall/HIPS tests but about one month ago everything was OK and page worked normaly...although project was abandoned ca 2-3 years ago.

Reactions: Jack and Dave Russo

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I was a little grieved when Matousec stopped its website ,does anyone know or have a link to another firewall testing site? Thanks

ichito

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I was a little grieved when Matousec stopped its website ,does anyone know or have a link to another firewall testing site? Thanks
The last I know are hose two from 2013
"Confronto Personal Firewall 2013" (in Italian)
and "Firewall Outbound Attacks Protection Test (July 2013)" (Russian page)

Pico

Level 4
Feb 6, 2023
Quote Start
We are now more than half way through 2014 and Xcitium finds itself in a familiar place in the ongoing Proactive Internet Challenge, conducted by Matousec.com. As has been the case for almost 2 ½ years, Xcitium Internet Security tops there results chart of 38 Internet Security suites tested by Matousec. (See below)
Quote End

I didn't know that Xcitium existed in 2014.
What a b*llsh*t story.
Typical Comodo / Xcitium window dressing behavior.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
They might need extra funding to fix this, hire a real person to update their blogs.
I am sorry if I am going off-topic, but for me always a real testament how professional a company of this sort is, is the threat research. CheckPoint, Symantec, Bitdefender, Avast, Trend Micro, Microsoft, Eset and even some not so famous companies have fantastic reports. Comodo/Xcitium to date hasn’t published even one research, writeup or anything to prove that malware analysts are even employed there. Similar to Panda, Ad-Aware and few others. So yeah, it looks like they love their cost control.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Quote Start
We are now more than half way through 2014 and Xcitium finds itself in a familiar place in the ongoing Proactive Internet Challenge, conducted by Matousec.com. As has been the case for almost 2 ½ years, Xcitium Internet Security tops there results chart of 38 Internet Security suites tested by Matousec. (See below)
Quote End

I didn't know that Xcitium existed in 2014.
What a b*llsh*t story.
Typical Comodo / Xcitium window dressing behavior.
Just replacing "COMODO" with "Xcitium" on old webpages. Melih is re-branding. Nothing to look at here.

But because you think it is a negative thing, why would you even look at COMODO? C'mon. We all know you will try to use the next release, but once you see all the unfixed bugs you'll quickly drop it. lol

Is this a cybersecurity company users trust?
Millions do because of the old website techsupportalert.com and the fact that it is free. Then you have the CS devotees here. Nobody has demonstrated a legitimate bypass in years, so COMODO always has had a strong core of followers.

If freeloaders want COMODO to be better, then they need to reach deep into their pockets and start paying their dues. Otherwise, CIS and CF will remain one of Melih's vanity projects. He will direct his development team to work on it once every 2 or 3 years.

This is what I think you and Jack should do... ban all discussions of COMODO at MT because over the years all they have ever been are whining, complaining and bashing circlejerks. All of it with done from a perspective that people think or expect that COMODO owes them something - which it obviously does not.

If a person does not like COMODO, then they don't have to use it. Melih himself has stated "Don't like the bugs, then go use something else. I subsidize the product and give it away for free. So get lost." Paraphrasing of course, but that was clearly his intent to all the detractors over the years.

Myself I could care less about COMODO products. I just have an issue with people expecting COMODO to provide a free software that meets their expectations. Those people have no right to expect a single thing. It is free. They have no right to complain. They get what they get.

It looks like someone or a bot copied all posts ever created and replaced Comodo with Xcitium.
Probably. If I was a CEO giving away software for free, I sure wouldn't be concerned about perfect blog pages.

I am sorry if I am going off-topic, but for me always a real testament how professional a company of this sort is, is the threat research. CheckPoint, Symantec, Bitdefender, Avast, Trend Micro, Microsoft, Eset and even some not so famous companies have fantastic reports. Comodo/Xcitium to date hasn’t published even one research, writeup or anything to prove that malware analysts are even employed there. Similar to Panda, Ad-Aware and few others. So yeah, it looks like they love their cost control.
Humans at COMODO are issuing file verdicts.

I don't think a company giving away free software needs to issue threat research. Why would they waste money doing that? The whole reason for the labs and its "research" is a marketing gimmick to promote their paid software.

Melih did not ascend to become a billionaire by being stupid. He knows full well that 99.9% of his CIS\CF user base are freeloaders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I don't think a company giving away free software needs to issue threat research. Why would they waste money doing that? The whole reason for the labs and its "research" is a marketing gimmick to promote their paid software.
ZoneAlarm and Avast have been issuing free software as well. Avast since the millenia and ZoneAlarm (if my memory serves right) has been offering free antivirus + firewall at least since 2009. It used to include backup capabilities as well. There are many others that offer freebies too. Yet if you look at their research pages, they have great reports. Xcitium offers paid services (including managed XDR) but has 0 threat research. It doesn’t look like they invest in this area, does it?

I have no idea whether or not Valkyrie has human factor to it, but CheckPoint’s threat emulation, together with CrowdStrike is industry leading.

How are we supposed to believe that talented researchers work there when nothing has been published?

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

ZoneAlarm and Avast have been issuing free software as well. Avast since the millenia and ZoneAlarm (if my memory serves right) has been offering free antivirus + firewall at least since 2009. It used to include backup capabilities as well. There are many others that offer freebies too. Yet if you look at their research pages, they have great reports.
Meh. Threat research is just a marketing gimmick. It is an expense that COMODO does not want. ZoneAlarm and Avast are primarily paid products and that is where they obtain their revenue. That they offer a "free" product is a just a front-end funnel to nag users into paying for their products.

99.99999% of people do not buy security software because the software vendor publishers threat "research." Such research adds little to no value because, despite all of that research, their products still have lots of weaknesses. COMODO produces no threat research and suffers none of the weaknesses of ZoneAlarm, Avast and all the others.

Xcitium offers paid services (including managed XDR) but has 0 threat research.
Xcitium offers Managed Security Service Provider services. I do not know any MSSP that provides such an expensive service for free. So COMOD charging for services and not producing threat research are not related.

XDR does not require a company to expend time, money, effort for threat research. Again, threat research is a marketing gimmick.

I have no idea whether or not Valkyrie has human factor to it, but CheckPoint’s threat emulation, together with CrowdStrike is industry leading.
COMODO has always had people on staff to issue file verdicts.

How are we supposed to believe that talented researchers work there when nothing has been published?
"Talented researchers work there" is absolutely not necessary. Why would a company whose primary protection technology is virtual containment need threat researchers?

Melih obviously never thought that threat research publishing was important. I mean, expending effort to gain "credibility" through published research that consumers and businesses could care less about really is a waste. Heck, consumers can't even understand basic AV lab test reports, let alone threat research whitepapers. The only people that care about it are those that attend conferences and stroke each other to build up their egos.

Reactions: Trident

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is what I think you and Jack should do... ban all discussions of COMODO at MT because over the years all they have ever been are whining, complaining and bashing circlejerks. All of it with done from a perspective that people think or expect that COMODO owes them something - which it obviously does not.
We have a forum dedicated for suggestions/feedback for our members 👉 Click Here

If a person does not like COMODO, then they don't have to use it. Melih himself has stated "Don't like the bugs, then go use something else. I subsidize the product and give it away for free. So get lost." Paraphrasing of course, but that was clearly his intent to all the detractors over the years.

Myself I could care less about COMODO products. I just have an issue with people expecting COMODO to provide a free software that meets their expectations. Those people have no right to expect a single thing. It is free. They have no right to complain. They get what they get.
Well, I agree if someone does not like Comodo products, they do not have to use it, nor have to participate in the discussions involving said products.

Yet, here you are.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
They don’t push updates and bug fixes, they haven’t proven that they employ even a single person staff capable of reverse-engineering or even knowing the structure of executable files, they can’t publish one blog post, or even one forum reply error-free and the excuse is always: It’s free. Well I personally would hard pass Comodo and Xcitium as the whole business looks like a clown show.
I would rather pay.

Pico

Level 4
Feb 6, 2023
But because you think it is a negative thing, why would you even look at COMODO? C'mon. We all know you will try to use the next release, but once you see all the unfixed bugs you'll quickly drop it. lol
Yes, I will give the new version a try. And you can bet on it that it will be my very last try when no bugs from the famous Buglist have been fixed in that new version.

• Applause
Reactions: kylprq and Trident
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

They don’t push updates and bug fixes, they haven’t proven that they employ even a single person staff capable of reverse-engineering or even knowing the structure of executable files, they can’t publish one blog post, or even one forum reply error-free and the excuse is always: It’s free. Well I personally would hard pass Comodo and Xcitium as the whole business looks like a clown show.
I would rather pay.
I get your points. But the thing about COMODO is that it is free and the company doesn't have to do a thing. It owes nothing to anybody. It owes no social acceptability nor to meet anybody's expectations. They actually say part of that in their EULAs. If Melih wants to produce pig vomit and give it away for free - if people accept it they have no right to complain. It is just amazing to watch how freeloaders complain so much about a product that they would not pay for even if the product were absolutely perfect and save their lives.

I agree with all that you say, but I understand why Melih does not make a nice, polished product. Recalling his posts on the old COMODO forum it is pretty certain that he would dismiss any criticism that he does not have a threat research department. He would say "I produce a best-effort product. Software has bugs. It gets better over time." Actually, that is exactly what he said to complaints about bugs not being fixed years ago.

The man has said to his detractors many times that he could care less. Don't like it, then you can go use something else. Complaining and criticizing COMODO has zero affect. While people are exerting energy complaining, nobody at COMODO is listening. The ones that have to face the complaints are the COMODO forum moderators, and they've become ambivalent to it. It has been that way since day 1 at COMODO.

That's not in any way a defense of COMODO. COMODO does not need to be defended because it has no obligation to do anything for anybody other than any contracts it might have.

COMODO has always required the user to accept bugs and the way that things are done at COMODO. I can understand why users do use COMODO. It does protect systems quite well. It's been proven in how many AV lab tests over the years? Nobody can produce a bypass that can be replicated. It is hard to argue with that. Myself I think the rules manager and HIPS are pointless since they have bugs that development has stated they will never fix. For those users that want to use those features - oh well - you're beat. Your wasting your time and effort complaining thinking somebody is listening and will fix those bugs.

What Melih should do is just end CIS\CF for consumers. It's not worth the hassles. But he does like to give stuff away for free.

People have to understand that "Free" means the equivalent of factory seconds or thirds. It is a pretty simple concept.

Yes, I will give the new version a try. And you can bet on it that it will be my very last try when no bugs from the famous Buglist have been fixed in that new version.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over expecting a different result.

Well, I agree if someone does not like Comodo products, they do not have to use it, nor have to participate in the discussions involving said products.

Yet, here you are.
I never said that I did not like COMODO products. Nowhere did I explicitly state that. You're putting words into my mouth.

Unless I explicitly state something, I have not said it. There is no "reading between the lines" and assigning your own interpretation of what the poster means or intends. Especially online, which communications do not function the same as in-person discussions.

They might need extra funding to fix this, hire a real person to update their blogs.
Melih's net worth is $1.6+ billion USD. He has the money. He just does not want to spend more than he has to on freeware products and the infrastructure to support them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.