Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Source: McAfee on its own as independent security vendor

Effective today, McAfee has officially spun out from Intel, dumping the name Intel Security and operating under new majority ownership that has deep pockets to help the company aggressively acquire technology via mergers and acquisitions to supplement home-grown innovations.

Investment firm TPG is making a $1.1 billion equity investment in McAfee in return for 51% ownership, giving it the cash it needs to buy companies for their technology so it can be incorporated faster into McAfee platforms than if developed via R&D.

That’s a different strategy than is used by Intel in its chip business. “Identifying what it takes to run a semiconductor company is quite different from running a cybersecurity company in a rapidly changing threat landscape,” says Intel Security’s CTO Steve Grobman.
Now McAfee won’t be hindered by that philosophy and won’t have to compete with the chip side of the business for investment money, he says.

Key to McAfee’s strategy going forward will be to enhance its security fabric, what it calls Data Exchange Layer for security messaging that allows a range of security products to communicate. That includes McAfee’s own products as well as some of its partners including Aruba, Check Point Software and Rapid7.

That could include other vendors who make their products compatible on their own initiative by using the software developers kit the company open-sourced last November. It could also include integrations from researchers and customers, he says.

Going forward security needs to focus on the cloud and the endpoint. “Rather than a single technology we need to push our platform to set up a pipeline of technologies that we flow into our platform,” Grobman says.

Behind all this optimism lies the reality that Intel Security fell behind its SIEM competitors, says Joseph Blankenship, an analyst with Forrester. He says the most recent version has a new user interface and incorporates user behavior analytics and new automation capabilities via partnerships with vendors in those areas.

He says Forrester is cautiously optimistic about the effects the new ownership of McAfee will have on its products and the benefits they will have for customers.

Under the Intel Security name, the company made some false starts with the purchase of Stonesoft, and it got out of the email security business, he says, leaving some customers stranded.

Now the company seems to have a solid road map for its SIEM, but the key is how it will execute on that road map. “Really examine what you are being told and hold them accountable,” Blankenship says.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Interesting to see where this firm will take McAfee.
New Logo and Web design for their Homepage and Business services. Home products still display the Intel logo.
Security Solutions - Internet and Web Security | McAfee
upload_2017-4-4_21-20-30.png

McAfee - Together is power.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Home products still display the Intel logo.
Intel has been erased. :p

New McAfee Brand - Together is power - New McAfee
A letter from the CEO - Welcome to McAfee
"Today, a new McAfee is born. One that promises customers cybersecurity outcomes, not fragmented products."

Could McAfee make a difference, or make a comeback to the Home product users?

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
HI Spawn I not sure if Mcafee will because their home products don't have a behaviour blocker they have always just been a basic virus scanner and you need more these days.

sona

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2013
yesterday i cleaned my friend's pc with
1.HMP(found 16),
2.Zemana(found something 4 or 5)
3. MB(found 131)
he has fully updated genuine windows + MAV plus
So i cannot comment about Mcafee capability
but i found it to be very fast compared to kaspersky

Reactions: Al-Faqir and iAwake

iAwake

Level 1
Verified
Aug 4, 2017
yesterday i cleaned my friend's pc with
1.HMP(found 16),
2.Zemana(found something 4 or 5)
3. MB(found 131)
he has fully updated genuine windows + MAV plus
So i cannot comment about Mcafee capability
but i found it to be very fast compared to kaspersky

Really bad that your friend's PC was infected. Could you please specify the types of infections? PUPs? Performance is what I like the most about Mcafee.

Reactions: Al-Faqir and sona

iAwake

Level 1
Verified
Aug 4, 2017
70%pup+30% trojans. i think my should contact mcafee for the money back warranty(though he bought boxed version).

I think he might be eligible for the Mcafee promise. He should contact Mcafee support and one of their agents will clean the system and if they fail, they will issue a full refund.

Reactions: Al-Faqir and sona

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.