McAfee uses web beacons that can be used to track and serve advertising to users

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
A test of seven OEM laptops running Windows has shown consistent privacy and security issues, including an interesting revelation that the McAfee Antivirus running on six of them is using web beacons to serve ads and possibly even track users online.

lenovo_flex3.png

The seven laptops – Lenovo Flex 3, Lenovo G50-80 (UK version), HP Envy, HP Stream x360 (Microsoft Signature Edition), HP Stream (UK version), Acer Aspire F15 (UK version), and Dell Inspiron 14 (Canada version) – have been tested by the security research team of Duo Security by simply sniffing the traffic sent from and to them once they have been taken out of the box, plugged in, and connected to a network.

Full Article. McAfee uses web beacons that can be used to track and serve advertising to users - Help Net Security

H

hjlbx

Copied from linked article above:

"After Patch Tuesday updates, many of the privacy settings are reset to their default settings, and the user doesn’t get notified of this."
' "Mitigation [for all of this] is to turn off all of the privacy settings, make some registry settings adjustments, and turn off some services. And as stated, redo everything each time you patch,” the researchers advised. "

This kind of thing irks me to no end...

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Copied from linked article above:

"After Patch Tuesday updates, many of the privacy settings are reset to their default settings, and the user doesn’t get notified of this."
' "Mitigation [for all of this] is to turn off all of the privacy settings, make some registry settings adjustments, and turn off some services. And as stated, redo everything each time you patch,” the researchers advised. "

This kind of thing irks me to no end...
I would have to agree 100% it is wrong.

Reactions: Venustus
H

hjlbx

Another snippet from the article linked in the above linked article:

"
For example, after KB 3116900 a few privacy settings involving Mail and Calendar, as well as “Sync with devices” was turned back on. A few other things, such as WPAD and some of the Diagnostics Tracking were turned back on as well. Basically after major patches from Microsoft, you will want to revisit the steps below. And certainly if you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8, you will definitely want to go over things.
"

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's why better analyze the laptop brands of OEM who are aggressive on the built in programs, because sometimes others are not really aggressive nor pose risk.

But we should agree that many bundled applications are already modified without user's awareness.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Yep, those Root certificates, even in some security software. Not all of them, some serve a good purpose (validation). Anything can be misused though. That's why if you can/have media, time and skillset, pave the new laptop with a clean install.

I think Microsoft still Sells Signature PC's with MSE or Windows Defender, and very minimal to no bloatware that I am aware of.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.