Trend Micro Maximum Security
Version: 12.0.1191
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana AntiMalware
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome - Version 63.0.3239.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Adblock Plus/Adblock
Trend Micro Toolbar
Trend Micro Shell Shock Detector
WOT
Google Drive
Maintenance tools
CCleaner
Trend Micro Tuneup
File and Photo backup
Custom
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Pro
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/mclovins-rig.56449/
P

Plexx

RE: McLovin's Config - Updated: 21-12-2012

Payback said:
Is it enough? bro I don't trust that...you should install Hitman pro for scan only...just in case...and you can delete those infected files manually

Often than not, some users do not use On Demand Scanners. McLovin, Earth (at one stage) and me for example do not use it because there is no need.

Sure we have used it in the past.

As long as you know what you are doing, taking a minimal approach is fine which includes not having an On Demand Scanner.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012

The only thing I would add is Emsisoft Mamutu........Only because you won the Daily Giveaway for January 21,2013

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

exterminator20 said:
The only thing I would add is Emsisoft Mamutu........Only because you won the Daily Giveaway for January 21,2013

Didn't even think of that. I could too. Thanks for that. ;)

Biozfear said:
Often than not, some users do not use On Demand Scanners. McLovin, Earth (at one stage) and me for example do not use it because there is no need.

As long as you know what you are doing, taking a minimal approach is fine which includes not having an On Demand Scanner.

Practically knocked it on the head. When I need one I will install it, but at the moment I don't need one.

D

Deleted member 178

Biozfear said:
Payback said:
Is it enough? bro I don't trust that...you should install Hitman pro for scan only...just in case...and you can delete those infected files manually

i also ditched all O-D scanner on my system, i never used them, just put some in my USB in case of.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013

Also,McLovin. Why you do not use KillSwitch? way better than TaskManager...

P

Plexx

Payback said:

He uses his system for specific tools, so KS usage is irrelevant.

He games, usually teaming up with me on some games, photoshops, listens to music, chats and posts here, along with his videos.

Killswitch has no real use on above tasks.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Biozfear said:
Payback said:

He uses his system for specific tools, so KS usage is irrelevant.

He games, usually teaming up with me on some games, photoshops, listens to music, chats and posts here, along with his videos.

Killswitch has no real use on above tasks.

You knocked it on the head Biozfear. Apart from the testing of Malware I do for videos in a Virtual Machine, I don't do anything that needs KS. The games I play with Biozfear don't need it, the music I listen to don't need it and same for the posts I make here. I find TaskManager better for my everyday needs.

D

Deleted member 178

Killswitch is too heavy and slow to start for daily usage, i never used it on my clean system, Process Hacker is better for monitoring.

P

Plexx

Umbra Corp. said:
Killswitch is too heavy and slow to start for daily usage, i never used it on my clean system, Process Hacker is better for monitoring.

Or Process Explorer from Sysinternals, which is also another free tool.

If I am not mistaken, only Process Lasso offers a Free and a Pro version where the Free version eventually starts having its limitations kick in.

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
RE: McLovin's Config - Updated: 10-10-2012

McLovin said:
Stranger said:
Hi Mclovin Do you really think you don't need any on-demand scanner?
With Trend micro I think u need it and hmp and mbam are free and light:)

I don't go to any site that are of malicious content on my host, so I would not need any.

Hello McLovin (Sup,N/of course joking)

Is Trend Micro at 'affordable' price? I am too screwed up in money to spend more money for my PC now (I spend literally 10,00 dollars this month cause of switching Internet Security suits/also upgrading my processor),also does it offer decent protection and configurable? like Norton Internet Security? (jugding cause you trusted your system without ANY on-demand scanners like MBAM,HMP etc.)

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012

Can you give some Screenshots of TaskManager while scanning & idle

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

Payback said:
Hello McLovin (Sup,N/of course joking)

Is Trend Micro at 'affordable' price? I am too screwed up in money to spend more money for my PC now (I spend literally 10,00 dollars this month cause of switching Internet Security suits/also upgrading my processor),also does it offer decent protection and configurable? like Norton Internet Security? (jugding cause you trusted your system without ANY on-demand scanners like MBAM,HMP etc.)

I think it offers more than just protection. If you were a average user and came to a blocked like this:

SolvKik.png

Would you continue? Anytime I see that and it's a page that I don't know I leave it and go back. When a virus does get through it offers a thing called "Prevent Unauthorised Changes", which if it's trying to change something in your computer like a Registry key, it will give you an option to "Block/Allow".

Give the 30 day trial ago, it will be a great change. :)

MrExplorer said:
Can you give some Screenshots of TaskManager while scanning & idle

Here you go :)
f4gcz6s.png

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

MrExplorer said:
Thanks ^^^

No, problem. :)

It's quite light. I don't really notice any increase of slowness to the machine, which is a good thing.

Chigwells

Level 4
Jan 16, 2012
Hi McLovin

I see you use Waterfox, isn't that the x64 version of Firefox? I never tried it, is there any advantage to using it, I guess it's more robust from a security point of view?

I may have to change over.

P.s. Reading through this thread, I enjoyed your relaxed attitude in answering some posts. People advising you to use this on-demand or that, you know what you're doing and are happy with your way of doing things :)

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Chigwells said:
Hi McLovin

I see you use Waterfox, isn't that the x64 version of Firefox? I never tried it, is there any advantage to using it, I guess it's more robust from a security point of view?

I guess that could be the reason. I've just found it to be much more stabile than using Firefox on 64bit machines. Don't know though about the security side, as I would say it would be the same as Firefox when it comes to security, I could be wrong.

Chigwells said:
P.s. Reading through this thread, I enjoyed your relaxed attitude in answering some posts. People advising you to use this on-demand or that, you know what you're doing and are happy with your way of doing things :)

Thanks for this. Just has brightened up my afternoon. :)
When it comes to the On-Demand scanners, I personally see no point of them. The only sites I go to are ones that I trust and I know that are safe, but the bad sites I just open via VMware. Plus I like Trend by itself. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For Waterfox it brought from better speed performance browsing using custom made alongside the Gecko engine so securities are same and increasing it by using add ons.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
I now favor Mclovin's Love / recommendation. :p

Just seen Trend Micro on my friend laptop today and trust me I find its excellent in prevention as well very light on low end specs laptop.

I only have one complain there is nothing to control inbound/outbound connection in firewall :(

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Spirit said:
I only have one complain there is nothing to control inbound/outbound connection in firewall :(

That's what's the Windows Firewall's for.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
McLovin said:
Spirit said:

That's what's the Windows Firewall's for.

Doesn't it easy to win Fort in a battle then controlling application from windows firewall :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.