Computer hardware
CPU: Genuine Intel Core i7 8600 @ 4.1 GhZ
GPU: Nvidia GTX 980
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Storage: 1TB SSD

McMcbrad

Level 10
Which edition of Bitdefender?

Consider uBlock "Origin" (Source: gorhill/uBlock)

Sorry about the confusion, it’s actually uBlock Origin that I use, I will correct that.
The Bitdefender edition is Premium Security 2021.
I'm a bit confused, You use Acronis TI for Photos and Files but not for System BackUp? 🤔
Sorry, I might have misunderstood slightly, I interpreted system backup as doing a whole snapshot of the system. If that’s the case, then no, I don’t do that. I use only the cloud backup functionality of the Acronis True Image.

McMcbrad

Level 10
So, after long and extensive tests, I have decided to replace Bitdefender with AVG.
This is due to me, not using a password manager, but saving my credentials in Chrome.

I tried to steal my passwords by using NJRAT (I have obtained a version of this RAT, so I infected myself and accessed my laptop from my second laptop) - no luck. It has a great password protection. I am currently trying to obtain other tools and do more tests, but I am happy with what I see so far.

Another reason for me to choose AVG is the highly-configurable firewall, as well as flexible ransomware protection, that might be quiet or paranoid. Just one suggestion I have made to the Avast team - I want to be able to select different mode for every folder.

Antivirus has hardened mode (anti-exe like), but it also covers infection vectors such as Java and scripts quite well. Behavioural blockers feels mature and effective.
Another thing that I like is (I know it won't matter to many), if you turn AVG off, it continues scanning and sniffing around, but just doesn't take any action. As soon as you turn it back on, it starts removing threats immediately. I like this sort of instant reaction.

It also has a highly-effective web blocker that works in all apps, not just in browsers and scans are fast with minimal impact.
It all gets topped off with DND mode that blocks standard Windows annoyances whilst I have something more important to do.

Last edited:

McMcbrad

Level 10
you should post/upload your avg settings config file here. maybe someone is willing to try it. or maybe some of the users are noobies and don`t know how to configure their avg properly but want maximum protection. 🙈 👼😇
Heuristic Sensitivity increased to high
1606739334749.png

PUP handling set to "Ask", instead of "Ignore"
1606739402317.png

That's all I have modified.
For increased security, users can select "Hardened Mode", which works in an anti-exe sort of way.
All shields are pretty much active out of the box and Smart Scan will tweak their configuration.