McShield Anti-Malware Tool for USB--a good option?

McShield Anti-Malware Tool for USB

• Thumbs up

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • Thumbs down

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I have used ESET DriveSecurity on USB drives. However, I caught it deleting false positives without asking me first. Adios when a software does that with conceptualclarity.

What's your experience with MCShield?

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm currently using Mcshield for two years from now and it does not provide any problematic issue regarding on USB based attacks.

Rarely to encounter FP rates + it has good daily update signatures without any issues that can affect the overall system behavior.

Also to maximize the protection, you can set anytime to paranoid mode.

Overall its free and don't surprise for any program update because its already bug free just definition updates.

Its not from McAfee.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I'm currently using Mcshield for two years from now and it does not provide any problematic issue regarding on USB based attacks.

Rarely to encounter FP rates + it has good daily update signatures without any issues that can affect the overall system behavior.

Also to maximize the protection, you can set anytime to paranoid mode.

Overall its free and don't surprise for any program update because its already bug free just definition updates.

Its not from McAfee.

Thank you very much for your analysis, jamescv7. And thank you for the correction. ***cringes with embarrassment*** I see it is MCShield, not McShield. I can't edit the titles for the thread or the poll. So who does give us MCShield?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Thumbs up for me too, have been using it for quite some time now and have no problem with it. It doesn't really catch malware by definitions, it doesn't have a wide range of signatures as well. But what it has is a heuristic based detection that stops any program that looks suspicious, like autoruns and such, which should be enough to stop you from getting infected with USB malware. If you still feel paranoid then you can run another scan with your AV MCshield has done it's thing to see if there are any traces left

Reactions: conceptualclarity

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Tested it today with the Bulletproof setting. got 6 PF with my bootable USB drive

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thumbs Up cause I use it and is light and good another great shield against usb malware...

Thanks for your evaluation, particularly that it's light.

Thumbs up for me too, have been using it for quite some time now and have no problem with it. It doesn't really catch malware by definitions, it doesn't have a wide range of signatures as well. But what it has is a heuristic based detection that stops any program that looks suspicious, like autoruns and such, which should be enough to stop you from getting infected with USB malware. If you still feel paranoid then you can run another scan with your AV MCshield has done it's thing to see if there are any traces left

Thanks. Very useful to know this.

Tested it today with the Bulletproof setting. got 6 PF with my bootable USB drive

Thanks for posting on my thread, WinXPert. What does 6 PF signify here?

Reactions: WinXPert

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Thanks for posting on my thread, WinXPert. What does 6 PF signify here?

I don't know what algorithm is going on but I guess it's nuking out files located at the root folder of any USB drive.

Here are the PF found on my bootable USB drive.
  • LIST.COM
  • NTLDR
  • ntdetect.com
  • grldr
  • windefault
  • ren.bat

I think this setting is good enough for me.

MCShield%252520Control%252520Center%2525207222015%252520120145%252520PM.bmp.jpg

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
What are those USB scanners even good for? Disable autorun and you are good to go.

Reactions: yigido
M

MalwareT

What are those USB scanners even good for? Disable autorun and you are good to go.

Well, if your USB is infected and you need save data ASAP, then it's needed.

This product is owned by Serbians Borislav Šurbat and Boban Spasić from MyCity where i'm member for 1 month. This product is NOT and it will never be in ownership of McAfee .

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Well, if your USB is infected and you need save data ASAP, then it's needed.

This product is owned by Serbians Borislav Šurbat and Boban Spasić from MyCity where i'm member for 1 month. This product is NOT and it will never be in ownership of McAfee .
If my USB is infected I just copy the content of it and remove every infected file. The only thing this tool provides is another layer of pseudo security, whilst opening the doors for exploits.
It automatically "scans" files on the USB drive which is, even for other software, another security risk... prepare your file in the right way, let it scan and watch your file execute.

M

MalwareT

Whatever. If you can clean USB shortcut virus (you cannot access files) manually, then do it. As person who is under malware removal training my "client" had 25GB of files and shortuct virus was on USB (he was unable to access files), i told him to do a scan with MCShield and recover those files. I know what i'm doing ;)

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Disabling autorun is not enough. Some malwares that infect removable devices are not autorun-dependent to execute.

Reactions: MalwareT

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Disabling autorun is not enough. Some malwares that infect removable devices are not autorun-dependent to execute.
There are currently none known to me. The last one I remember is the lnk exploit from 2010...

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I have a lot more external hard drive space than internal hard drive space, so autoruns from USB are very useful to me.

@TwinHeadedEagle is one of the member of McShield Developing Team and all of the information can be located in this following thread:

http://malwaretips.com/threads/mcshield-anti-malware-v3-0.15076/

Thanks.

Whatever. If you can clean USB shortcut virus (you cannot access files) manually, then do it. As person who is under malware removal training my "client" had 25GB of files and shortuct virus was on USB (he was unable to access files), i told him to do a scan with MCShield and recover those files. I know what i'm doing ;)

Ah, I've heard of a program called Shortcut Antivirus. I'd like to hear more about shortcut viruses.

Reactions: Koroke San
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.