MBAM 3
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome - uBlock Origin , LastPass
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, AdwCleaner, System Explorer
File and Photo backup
Not much to backup here, some documents and pictures etc., i manually copy it all to my external HDD which i only use for backup purposes.
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper

Michael_Blunt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2014
Hello!

This is my first post here but i have been following the forum for a while now and decided to finally join up, very informative site and have already found quite a few nice programs i wasn't aware of.I've been trying out different layered approaches and this is my current config, any thoughts ?

Michael_Blunt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks, there is one thing i will probably be changing and that is removing Zemana but waiting for Qihoo to bring in their antikeylogging protection to Win 8.1 x64 first.

Reactions: SHvFl

Michael_Blunt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2014
How do i edit the config ?

If a mod can do this for me please, i would like to add a few things:

Real-Time Protection: need to add Windows SmartScreen and FoolDNS.
List of other software: remove VirusTotal Uploader and add Wise Disk Cleaner(portable), PrivaZer, Puran Uninstaller

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Changes applied.

Do you not find the real-time protection is over-kill? "Running Internet-facing programs in SBIE, downloaded files checked against VT"

Could you elaborate on why you'd keep unknown or untrusted files on your PC, let alone being run under the 360 Sandbox.

Michael_Blunt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks!

Changes applied.

Do you not find the real-time protection is over-kill? "Running Internet-facing programs in SBIE, downloaded files checked against VT"

Could you elaborate on why you'd keep unknown or untrusted files on your PC, let alone being run under the 360 Sandbox.

Just running downloaded stuff that i am not familiar with/trying out for the first time inside 360 sandbox first(like document files, installers etc.). Normally i have my downloads folder forced in SBIE(and will go back to that) but ATM i am playing with 360 sandbox so i run things in that.

Let me give an example of what i mean by running unknown/untrusted files sandboxed first:
A while ago(before i found this wonderful forum) i ran across Tiranium AV Cloud Scanner, it was briefly mentioned by soomeone on another forum so i decided to try it. Not knowing the product at all i checked the program's hash at VT and it came up with quite a few detections along with my resident AV of course. So i really wasn't sure if this program is legit or not and i ran it sandboxed for the first time so i can check it out.

And no i personally i do not find anything as over-kill, except maybe Zemana but as i said i will remove it soon. Also i am running all this on a fast quad cpu, enough ram and a decent SSD and really don't notice any slowdowns at all.

Michael_Blunt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2014
Solid, but real-time is overkill indeed, how many processes do you have? :D

pe.png

tm.png

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I concur, having recently switched to a quad core with a SSD, it's amazingly fast even with up to 80 processes running. :D

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Uhhhm WAY WAY WAY much protection, theoretical your protection & config seems solid and should provide you with a "almost" army grade protection level. However you have so much installed that "diminishing return" is going to be applied in terms of performance, stability, memory and read & write but more importantly your cpu cycles, as out of the top of my head i venture to say you running this config are losing at least 1GB Ram (Maybe even 1.5+) and on average around 45% CPU, not to mention the at least 10 seconds of reboot & shutdown time.

I mentioned it before but less is actually more.
Now your config is solid in terms of programs and the idea behind it, however from a practical pov and more importantly a security pov this setup does only polish the top layer and one could say its cosmetic security at best.
My advise would be get yourself a solid internet security package (KAV, NIS, ESET or similair quality)

Qihoo 360 Internet Security <<< I am not going to say that Chinese AV developers are bad, BUT considering the data collection by Qihoo and Baidu and reselling it (As mentioned in media) and its questionable effectiveness i seriously recommend to get rid of this and pick ANY western AV and know by default it would perform much better then a fully tuned Qihoo.
Alright i realize this is going to cause a shitstorm but those who know me a bit better will understand why i am saying this.

NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro <<< You do not need this and yes this is a rather usefull program but you do not need it
Microsoft EMET <<< Could be great and its a VERY usefull tool, however there are better tools out there.
Zemana AntiLogger <<< Great program but you do not need it.
Winpatrol Plus <<< Use to be great now its near garbage (With all respect)
Blue Coat K9 Web Protection <<< If your internet security + Smartscreen is running this program adds ZERO to your protection.

Michael_Blunt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2014
Sorry but i happen to disagree with your post completely however i do not plan on debating this with you in detail as it will get us nowhere, i have my particular view and you have yours which is perfectly normal. Point is i am quite pleased with what i use and that is the most important thing here, me feeling comfortable with what i have, it's my machine after all.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Sorry but i happen to disagree with your post completely however i do not plan on debating this with you in detail as it will get us nowhere, i have my particular view and you have yours which is perfectly normal. Point is i am quite pleased with what i use and that is the most important thing here, me feeling comfortable with what i have, it's my machine after all.

Thats brilliant because next to my saying: Less is more We can add another one like: If it aint broken don't fix it or if it feels right for you then its probably right for you.

Again let me repeat my words, what i wrote in the previous post should be regarded as positive feedback and not as a slam in your face.
So really if this setup makes you feel right then so be it, i am perfectly happy with that.
However for a silly home user with little or no experience this setup is going to cause trouble and the user would be better of with a simplefied version, and achieve a similair level of protection while having most things automated.
Usually when someone does post his or her config then they claim "Current level of computer security knowledge and awareness: Advanced" And later it turns out that they do not even know where they can find the powerbutton of their pc.
Hence why i gave you my advise as i assumed that you might be one of those users.
Now after your reply its clearl that you are NOT one of those users.
Just wanted to say that.

Cheers

Michael_Blunt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2014
Removed Zemana, made some new screens... :D

Boot/Reboot time:

br.png restart-time.png

Memory usage:

mem1.png mem2.png

Memory usage after running Razer Game Booster:

gb2.png gb1.png

Michael_Blunt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 4, 2014
Could i kindly ask one of the mods to update my config again ?

Removed 360 IS, Zemana AntiLogger, K9 Web Protection, EMET, Puran Uninstaller due to various issues/incompatibilites and/or finding replacements.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Real-Time Protection: Baidu Antivirus, NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro, Sandboxie Pro, Winpatrol Plus, Windows Firewall.

On-demand Malware Scanners: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Tiranium Antivirus Cloud Scanner, VT Hash Check.

List of all other Security software: FoolDNS, Windows SmartScreen.

List of other software: Autoruns, Process Explorer, TCPView, Secunia PSI, CCleaner, Wise Disk Cleaner (Portable), PrivaZer, Wise Program Uninstaller (Portable).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Qihoo is having issues on Win8.1 Update 1 i am currently playing around with Baidu, if anyone has any suggestions for a free AV that i could try out please share.

Thanks!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.