64-bit OS
Security Updates
Automatic with Deferred upgrades - Security updates only
User Access Control
Always Notify
Firewall
Windows Firewall - Network security provided by Microsoft
Device Security
Windows Defender SmartScreen (Windows 10)
User Account
Standard - User has some control over the settings
Recent Security Incidents
No malware or privacy issues
Malware Testing
None - No Malware on host PC or VM
Real-time Web & Malware Protection
Windows Defender and OSArmor
Custom Settings For Real-Time Protection
Custom - Minor changes for Increased Security
Custom Settings For Real-Time Protection Details
ConfigureDefender
SysHardener
Virus and Malware Removal Tools
Zemana Antimalware Portable
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Malwarebytes (free)
Hitman Pro

And sometimes when I think my PC is infected I also use the following tools: Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and Norton Power Eraser.

And if I find out that my PC is infected I restore a (100% clean) system image backup or maybe reinstall Windows completely.
Browsers and Extensions
Google Chrome: uBlock Origin
Mozilla Firefox: uBlock Origin
Opera: uBlock Origin
Web Privacy
uBlock Origin
Windscribe VPN
Password Management
KeePass (portable)
Default Web Search
Google
System Utilities
Windows Disk Cleanup tool
Data Backup
AOMEI Backupper Professional (external hard drive)
Google Drive
OneDrive
Dropbox.
Frequency of Data backups
Daily
System Backup
Macrium Reflect (free)
AOMEI Backupper Professional
Frequency of System backups
Occasionally
Computer Activity
Online banking
Browsing web and email
Watch movies and other entertainment content on the Internet
Office and work related tasks
Video or photography editing
Programming
Computer Specifications
  • Device: ASUS A455L
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-5200U (2.7GHz)
  • GPU: GeForce 930m
  • RAM: 8GB
  • Storage: HD 500GB

mickel1

Level 1
My security configuration in 2019.

Not much has changed since my 2018 security configuration.

I switched from Kaspersky Free Antivirus to Bitdefender Antivirus Free.

I also added Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool to my malware removal tools list.

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 28
Verified
All 4 layers are covered:
  • Realtime & other: Bitdefender Free & OSArmor
  • Web Browser: uBo
  • Backup: Aomei
  • Firewall: Native
My advice:
  • Consider adding Scriptsafe & Emsisoft Browser Security to web browser
  • Add Syshardener, this also can add basic block rules for Windows Firewall as well
  • Consider using Tinywall or Malwarebytes Firewall Control for a better comprehensive protection of the built-in firewall
  • Love the fact you've used a fab AV alongside anti-exploit protection in OSA, great to see
Thanks for sharing.

~LDogg

mickel1

Level 1
I've added Syshardener and Zemana Antimalware (free) to the configuration.

I've replaced Bitdefender Antivirus Free with ESET Nod32 Antivirus and used @RoboMan's configuration settings.

Added Windows Defender Browser Security and Windows Defender Application Guard extensions to Google Chrome.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool and LDogg

LDogg

Level 28
Verified
I've added Syshardener and Zemana Antimalware (free) to the configuration.

I've replaced Bitdefender Antivirus Free with ESET Nod32 Antivirus and used @@RoboMan's configuration settings.

Added Windows Defender Browser Security and Windows Defender Application Guard extensions to Google Chrome.
Some fantastic changes especially with ESET & the new web extensions. Also liked you added in Syshardener & ZAM Free.

~LDogg

mickel1

Level 1
I removed Windows Defender Application Guard extension from Google Chrome because I couldn't open any website in the separate Application Guard window. And yes, I enabled Windows Defender Application Guard in Windows Features and also installed the Windows Defender Application Guard app from the Microsoft Store. But I still could not open any website in it.

Reactions: oldschool and LDogg

mickel1

Level 1
Replaced ESET Nod32 Antivirus with COMODO Firewall (with cruelsister's settings) and Windows Defender.

But I'm looking for a WD replacement that works well with COMODO Firewall.

Cruelsister said in a comment on her YouTube video that Kaspersky Free Antivirus is a good AV to run alongside CF, so, I might try that combo.

I also removed OSArmor because I read somewhere here that OSArmor is not necessary when running CF (/ cs's settings).

I try to keep things as light as possible.

JM Safe

From Zemana
Developer
Verified
Hi, good config, yes Chrome is one of the safest browsers because of advanced security features like site isolation, however I heard also Firefox is implementing new advanced security features (in practice for every sites the Firefox code will be in isolated OS processes). In my opinion Firefox is better than Chrome for the UI and for the built-in password manager.

oldschool

Level 26
Verified
I tried to install KFA but the installer said that COMODO is incompatible. It wanted to uninstall CF.
Yes, there is that issue. First install KFA, then re-install CF = no problem. Or try AVG.

Btw why you recommend AVG Free and not Avast Free? Just curious.
You already have default-deny with CF/cs, so you really just need, or want, a light AV. The only real difference between Avast and AVG is Avast has "hardened mode". AVG has less annoying clutter. Both let you do custom install. You can install only File, Behavior & Web shields (+ Email shield if you use an email client).

mickel1

Level 1
You already have default-deny with CF/cs, so you really just need, or want, a light AV. The only real difference between Avast and AVG is Avast has "hardened mode". AVG has less annoying clutter. Both let you do custom install. You can install only File, Behavior & Web shields (+ Email shield if you use an email client).
What do you mean with "AVG has less annoying clutter"?

Reactions: oldschool

mickel1

Level 1
Less pop-ups and visual clutter in GUI. Just my preference. Try both and see what you think.
Ok. Thanks for the tip. On this moment, Windows Defender is actually running pretty smooth on my system and it doesn't have compatible issues with CF. I see that you're also using Windows Defender. Do you notice any performance impact?

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

oldschool

Level 26
Verified
Ok. Thanks for the tip. On this moment, Windows Defender is actually running pretty smooth on my system and it doesn't have compatible issues with CF. I see that you're also using Windows Defender. Do you notice any performance impact?
No I don't. I use my computer for the usual, simple browsing, emails, etc. but no gaming or anything resource-intensive. WD runs great on my machine. I keep only what I use on it, without a lot of 3rd party apps.

mickel1

Level 1
Removed COMODO Firewall.
Enabled Windows Defender and used ConfigureDefender.
Installed OSArmor.
Removed Windows Defender Browser Protection from Google Chrome.
Removed Malwarebytes Browser Extention from Firefox.

I removed COMODO Firewall and enabled Windows Defender because I just wanted to try something else and give Windows Defender another chance, even though it slows down my PC noticeably sometimes.

I might install another third-party AV soon, but for now, I just want to try this combo.