Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft’s New Windows 10 Version Is Malware, Epic CEO Says

Windows 10 Cloud is all but confirmed, but even though Microsoft is yet to officially announce the new version, Epic CEO and co-founder Tim Sweeney has turned to Twitter to go public with his rant against the Redmond-based software giant.

In a series of tweets, Sweeney calls Windows 10 Cloud “ransomware,” a form of malware that compromises computers by locking down files and asking for a ransom to restore access.

“Windows Cloud is ransomware: It locks out Windows software you previously bought and makes you pay to unlock it by upgrading to Windows Pro,” he said in a tweet dated February 7. “Firefox blocked. Google Chrome blocked. Google search blocked as web browser search option. OpenGL, Vulcan, OpenVR, Oculus VR blocked,” he continued.
“Microsoft is making a huge move against the whole PC ecosystem: @Adobe, @Autodesk, #Valve, @EA, @Activision, @Google, @Mozilla. All blocked. Windows Cloud will steal your Steam PC game library and ransom it back to you...for a price.”

The Windows 10 Cloud story
So is this thing true? Not at all, and it all starts with the purpose of Windows 10 Cloud, which by the way, is not yet confirmed and we don’t even know if everything we heard about it is true.

First and foremost, Windows 10 Cloud appears to be a version of the Windows 10 operating system that exclusively focuses on Store apps, just like Windows RT did when it was launched in 2012 with the Surface RT.

There is a good chance that Windows 10 Cloud would be offered to OEMs completely free to install it on their devices, and this contributes to lower prices when these models hits the shelves. Microsoft is expected to offer a built-in upgrade option that would allow Windows 10 Cloud users to switch to Windows 10 Pro, and thus get Win32 app support, should they pay for a license.

This is pretty much what Sweeney is criticizing, claiming that once users pay for the upgrade, they get access to Win32 apps (this is also most likely the reason he calls Windows 10 Cloud “ransomware”).

And yet, this is by no means ransomware, but only a way to bring cheaper devices to the market and boost adoption of UWP apps. The Epic CEO, however, is also criticizing Microsoft’s aggressive push for universal apps, claiming that the company is actually trying to destroy the Win32 ecosystem by forcing users to switch to Store apps entirely.
microsoft-s-new-windows-10-version-is-malware-epic-ceo-says-512713-2.jpg

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Bet MS will not be able to sleep tonight after this. They must feel so sorry and are preparing to change everything.
If you hate Windows so much install Linux and leave as alone.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
It locks out Windows software you previously bought and makes you pay to unlock it by upgrading to Windows Pro,” he said in a tweet dated February 7. “Firefox blocked. Google Chrome blocked.

The real story here is that apparently Firefox and Chrome got bought. Epic games present you all our new innovation: GoogleFox browser. :p
(This is a joke btw)

Reactions: SHvFl and Wave

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
This guy must be really upset that Epic Games never figured out how to optimize their games for Windows 10. Literally haven't developed a decent PC game since UT3 in 2007.

Reactions: SHvFl and Wave

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It is comforting to know that nobody took this as being true :D
It is nice to have a good humored story once in a while about an epic failure on the verge of a total psychotic meltdown.
Let them charge ransom I haven't paid for an Operating syst I mean I haven't paid any ransom yet :oops:

W

Wave

It's not malware; malware is "malicious software" - this means that the software has to be provided with malicious intent. Regardless of what Microsoft has done, they do not have "malicious intent" to actually harm the user, therefore it's not malware.

Besides, they would have legal agreements in place to use their software/services, which means they have the authority to do what they are doing. It's the same with the data collection... Even if they happen to violate a law, it doesn't automatically mean it's "malware".

It'd be a different story if they actually damaged the system one way or another, but they didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: j9ksf and SHvFl

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It's not malware; malware is "malicious software" - this means that the software has to be provided with malicious intent. Regardless of what Microsoft has done, they do not have "malicious intent" to actually harm the user, therefore it's not malware.

Besides, they would have legal agreements in place to use their software/services, which means they have the authority to do what they are doing. It's the same with the data collection... Even if they happen to violate a law, it doesn't automatically mean it's "malware".

It'd be a different story if they actually damaged the system one way or another, but they didn't.
Now that you think about it and their updates maybe it is malware(malicious software) :D
It has definitely damaged many a PC.
Maybe Tim Sweeney is on to something and not just jacked up on mescaline and LSD while at the wheel of his Twitter account.

Reactions: Wave
D

Deleted member 178

Another "gimme some attention" , Mr. (failing) EPIC , you sold Gear Of War franchise to MS lol so quit your position, go back to business school, and talk to me later.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Well, better securely erase my hard drives and discontinue all my online services, before this update rolls out.

See you all in UNIXland.

(not :D)

It's on the web, so it must be true - right ? On the web I learned that little green fairies live in all cookie jars - but I just can't seem to confirm it. Every time I look in the jar, I see the cookies, but not the fairies. I better set up a night-vision cam... or maybe I need to empty the cookie jar first ? I'll try emptying it first. Yum.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.