Microsoft’s Really Having a Hard Time Moving Users from Chrome to Edge Browser

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Microsoft replaced Internet Explorer with Edge in Windows 10 in an effort to provide users with a more advanced browser that can also compete against the likes of Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, which are both winning the browser war at the moment.

microsoft-s-really-having-a-hard-time-moving-users-from-chrome-to-edge-browser-509870-2.jpg

But statistics are showing that Microsoft is having a really hard time making Edge more widely adopted, and the limited availability of the browser has a substantial impact on its market share.

The latest batch of data provided by NetMarketShare shows that Edge is indeed improving, but it’s all happening at a terribly slow pace, even though Microsoft has already shipped updates that were supposed to help boost adoption substantially.

Google Chrome has 10 times more users than Edge

For example, the recently-released Windows 10 Anniversary Update, whose rollout started in early August, brought support for extensions and other small tweaks here and there, but this hasn’t helped Edge too much in the race against the other browsers on the market.

In October, Google Chrome was the leading desktop browser with a share of 54.99 percent, while Microsoft’s old Internet Explorer was the runner-up with 23.13 percent. Mozilla Firefox reached the third place with 11.14 percent, while Microsoft Edge was fourth with 5.26 percent.

But although it’s fourth in the charts, Microsoft Edge is improving at a pace that can’t impress anyone. For instance, the new Windows 10 browser had a share of 5.09 percent in June and gradually improved every month to eventually reach 5.26 percent. Last month, it only scored a growth of 0.10 percent.

Read more: Microsoft’s Really Having a Hard Time Moving Users from Chrome to Edge Browser

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I voted "I would not use Microsoft Edge as my default browser", because of the obvious lack of extensions like ABP, HTTPsEverywhere, a Anti-Phishing extension like as Avira Browser Safety,...
Running out of arguments... I'm pretty much used to Google Chrome, I don't want to switch.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I voted add more Extensions.
If I could secure it a little better I would set it as default, it's not a bad browser
really. I just don't want to roll with it in the unsecured state they seem to prefer.
Thanks Jack :)
PS: They are exaggerating the Explorer users, no doubt about that.
When Explorer was the only option they could not amass that percentage
and now they have ? yeah ok :rolleyes:

U

uncle bill

In my windows pc i use edge with my program (which works with winstore apps too) to filter web requests. About extension: i' don't use them at all and don't trust any of them at all. I don't trust (and never will) google so i've never used chrome. To told you all I use firefox on my ubuntu pc.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I voted "I would not use Microsoft Edge as my default browser" for the same reason that @Der.Reisende mentioned. I think Chrome and Firefox are very good browsers, highly customizable due to a big number of extensions that are avalible to them, and Edge, although is also a very good, fast browser, in my opinion, it does not bring nothing that you couldn't get in Firefox or Chrome.
I'm still stuck in Firefox.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Corporate/government world, we are forced to use IE, so it bumps up the %, although some businesses are shifting to Apple to save money.

I haven't touched IE or Edge in many years...besides testing Edge. Edge is a second rate browser.

As for "trust' issues, Microsoft became as big a spy after Win10 as Google, that is irrelevant. Chrome is more secure than Edge and there is customization.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I voted Other. :)

Reasons:
1. Alps Pointing Device (touchpad) should be fully compatible with Windows 10's apps, which include MS Edge. As of now, MS Edge (along with other MS apps) scrolls sluggishly except when it is put as a background app.
2. MS Edge should not stutter frequently.
3. (The first three options in the poll), especially the second one.

U

uncle bill

Corporate/government world, we are forced to use IE, so it bumps up the %, although some businesses are shifting to Apple to save money.

I haven't touched IE or Edge in many years...besides testing Edge. Edge is a second rate browser.

As for "trust' issues, Microsoft became as big a spy after Windows 10 as Google, that is irrelevant. Chrome is more secure than Edge and there is customization.
Well.. no. Google is google from the very beginning... beside: tell me how can you say chrome is more secure of "whatever you like" when it gather data on you on your back? Opinions are opinions but don't you think this is a little bit curios (i mean as opinion)?

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Microsoft really made the mistake of not having extensions at the first release already. Much users thought, 'I don't try it because I can't install my adblocker or other extensions I regularly use'. Now a few months later those people don't want to give it a try anymore. They known how it looks like, what features it has, there is nothing new or more value to it, so now they finally can add (sadly a very limited amount of) extensions, they don't want to change their default 'feeling home' alternative browser anymore. The surprise effect of a 'whole new browser' is not present anymore.
I understand that MS is advertising their new product. Every company would do that, but they exceed the very limit in my opinion. After some updates constantly replacing the default applications to edge, often displaying nagging messages... It's good to let people know about the product, but too much is too much. It's turning out negative.
Microsoft puts Edge in the spotlight like 'the perfect browser', but it's far from that in my opinion. True, it may be said that it's fast, looks good on windows 10 and displays webpages very good, but for me personally Edge also stutters and crashes very often. Also the amount of unique features is very limited. Their most special feature is that you can write on your screen and make notes on webpages. You need extensions for that in other browsers, so its kind of special. But other than that... it's just like every browser. Plus, now we have finally extensions, there are just a few available, so it's also not a big improvement compared to the few addons Internet Explorer had back in the day. There are some improvements in speed, compatibility and rendering compared to Internet Explorer, but I never had the feeling: "Wow, this is surprising, let's never talk about IE anymore." Now months after the first release, I'm not surprised about these statistics. Ok, they had the challenge to break the reputation Internet Explorer had, but they did it wrong in my opinion. The whole browser should have been more complete from the beginning. Now it's too late to add special things that make people considering to switch. And if they would succeed bringing out something fancy, the competing browsers are already a step further again.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Well.. no. Google is google from the very beginning... beside: tell me how can you say chrome is more secure of "whatever you like" when it gather data on you on your back? Opinions are opinions but don't you think this is a little bit curios (i mean as opinion)?

Look up various testings done on the browsers. Chrome is Google's bread and butter, with quick updates/patches that are constant, not to mention large bug bounties.

One example, Chrome vs. Edge:

If you want privacy, use a privacy browser, which is certainly not Chrome, Edge or IE.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I voted for "More available extensions".
As the speed and design is up to mark now, I want Xmarks to be integrated with video downloading extension such as FVD and some more privacy extensions into it, so users may feel more comfortable in using it.
I even had a taught on shifting to Opera because this. Now since I'm not a fan of Chrome and FF UI I may consider on switching to Edge or Opera.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Voted: I would not use Microsoft Edge as my default browser.

Not because of being a Microsoft browser or lack of available extensions, but the exact reason why I don't use Opera, Vivaldi, Firefox etc. You cannot log in with your Google Account to get your Chrome Sync settings and customisation. For that reason, I am a Chrome user.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.