Microsoft’s telemetry reveals a work/life balance nightmare due to #WorkfromHome

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
In a blog post touting the new time management tools in Microsoft 365, Microsoft revealed some data they gathered regarding the impact of the lock-down-imposed Work From Home regime on office workers, and it appears clear that work-life balance has suffered significantly from the move.

Microsoft reports that there has been a 1000% increase in video calls, and an overall 30% increase in meetings, with 30% of them going over the scheduled time, and a 200% increase in Teams chats on Saturdays and Sundays.

There was also a 52% increase in the number of instant messages being sent between 6 PM and midnight, and a resultant 30% increase in Tasks created.

Microsoft reports this is leaving workers overwhelmed and stressed, and feeling like they need to be “always on” and available, without time to disconnect and recharge, with the blurred lines between personal and work time and space leaving workers emotionally and physically drained.

Having highlighted the problem, Microsoft of course also aims to offer the solution, with a variety of new Microsoft 365 tools and features designed to help users demarcate work and personal time more clearly. Read more about them here.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Tell that to my big boss who was slowly taking away all telework prior to this happening. Productivity didn’t budge and now people expect to be able to contact me when it suits them.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Its interesting the different mideset with working from home. Its a catch 22. Either people spend way too much time at the office away from their family, or they are expected to be available like 24/7 when working from home.

Granted this is new for everyone, so adjustments will have to be made, but personally I feel the best approach is somewhere in the middle.

It is harder to get away from work when working from home, so setting expectations are a must, or you may be in a worse situation, than just leaving work and going home. At least when you work in a separate building outside your home, you literly leave work behind. People can call you all they want after the fact it doesn't matter, you're off for the day, try again tomorrow.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Personally I don't need help from Microsoft to assist me to protect my personal time & set demarcation zones, they create the problem then help you to solve it - I use that big thing between my ears (not my nose) Office 365 is becoming evermore intrusive & virtually wont run unless it's allowed full run of your system - Which is why it's been removed on my main PC & on my laptop only (perfect solution) :):):)

I'm not sure how telemetry shows Microsoft this info: This is leaving workers overwhelmed and stressed, and feeling like they need to be “always on” and available, without time to disconnect and recharge, with the blurred lines between personal and work time and space leaving workers emotionally and physically drained.

Maybe for example if MS in their kindness hadn't set Teams to start on boot & most users don't know how to prevent it & when you do it often reverts Teams users would be less stressed.

Edited:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.