Microsoft: 71% of Windows 10 Creators Update PCs Use Full Telemetry Settings

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
What private info is Microsoft collectiing about me that should concern me?

No idea. Would it concern you if your neighbor started to sneak around your house and followed you in his car when you leave, taking notes of what you do, when and where you go, all the while taking pictures or filming it? I mean you don't have anything to hide, right?

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
What private info is Microsoft collectiing about me that should concern me?
Ex Microsoft employee explains why is spying in Windows 10 dangerous. I recommend watching video complete even though it's 14 minutes long.

No idea. Would it concern you if your neighbor started to sneak around your house and followed you in his car when you leave, taking notes of what you do, when and where you go, all the while taking pictures or filming it? I mean you don't have anything to hide, right?
They actually published what they collect on Basic and Full mode but things are explained so only developers would understand it, not typical users. Besides that, they can collect what they want, just remember when everyone called Windows 10 keylogger because it collected keystrokes "to make typing better". I think we all know why they didn't publish data when they released Windows 10 and just said they collect "only necessary data" instead.

Last edited:

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Actually the new M$ is WORSE than Google.

For instance, M$ frequently resets some of your preferences during an update, installs apps that you have not requested...One would need to do some deep time consuming analysis to figure out what else occurs after an update.

Easily for 95% of home users, including pro now, M$ now owns your PC. Once they get hacked, watch out.

Digital spying, government (NSA et al), corporate (NSA et al) has gotten so bad that several countries are now using typewriters for their top secret documents.

Reactions: Fritz and Marko :)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Actually the new M$ is WORSE than Google.

For instance, M$ frequently resets some of your preferences during an update, installs apps that you have not requested...One would need to do some deep time consuming analysis to figure out what else occurs after an update.

Easily for 95% of home users, including pro now, M$ now owns your PC. Once they get hacked, watch out.

Digital spying, government (NSA et al), corporate (NSA et al) has gotten so bad that several countries are now using typewriters for their top secret documents.
In video I posted above is explained why everything resets when updating Windows. Here's another video from same YouTuber about automatic bloatware installation. In this video it's explained why they do it and how to disable automatic installation of apps.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
hi
today i found an article in a big german online magazine for players. Here is the link to the article in german language:
Windows 10: Großteil der Nutzer akzeptiert Datenweiterleitung an Microsoft
At the buttom of this article you can also find two links (in english). One of this links is:
Turns Out Windows 10 Users Didn’t Have a Problem With Microsoft Collecting Their Data

...a quotation from this article:
The Full option sends app and browser data, along with inking and typing data to Microsoft. Here’s a small glimpse of what Microsoft collects under this Full telemetry level:

Browser Data – Information about Address bar and search box performance on the device such as:

• Text typed in address bar and search box
  • Text selected for Ask Cortana search
  • Service response time
  • Auto-completed text if there was an auto-complete
  • Navigation suggestions provided based on local history and favorites
  • Browser ID
  • URLs (which may include search terms)
  • Page title
On-Device Search – Information about local search activity on the device such as:

• Kind of query issued and index type (ConstraintIndex, SystemIndex)
  • Number of items requested and retrieved
  • File extension of search result user interacted with
  • Launched item kind, file extension, index of origin, and the App ID of the opening app.
  • Name of process calling the indexer and time to service the query.
  • A hash of the search scope (file, Outlook, OneNote, IE history)
  • The state of the indices (fully optimized, partially optimized, being built)
On its part, Microsoft had shared the complete details of all the data that it collects under both the Basic and the Full telemetry levels in April this year shifting away from its stealthy privacy policy. [Those interested can read the highlights in our earlier post and complete data collection details over at Microsoft.]

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.