Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft will reportedly start proper work on Windows 10 version 21H1 in February when testers in the Release Preview Ring will begin evaluating preview builds (19043 or newer) via enablement package.

Windows 10 21H1, for the uninitiated, is a service pack-style update with the focus entirely on quality improvements and bug fixes. There won’t be any new major feature additions (as the October 2020 Update was the previous year) and Microsoft is now planning to release it in May or June 2021.

In a new code commit, Microsoft confirmed that it’s working on a new “Windows release” and it will be released to the public in June 2021. In addition to the release date, Microsoft also noted that the next feature update will include built-in protections against Kernel Transaction Manager (KTM).

“The Windows Release coming out this June 2021 has a new API that can disable KTM exploits. Verified on an internal OS build that the KTM exploit is no longer available,” the Chromium code commit reads.

Chromium code commit

It’s possible that version 21H1 will be announced in May 2021 and it will be released to more users in June 2021.

What to expect in Windows 10 version 21H1

We haven’t heard much about the Spring 2021 update yet and no details on exactly what we can expect were revealed.

However, one of the changes we could see with the Windows 10 Spring 2021 update is a new section for the graphics card in the Settings app. The update is also expected to add native support for DNS over HTTPS (DOH).

With 21H1 seemingly a minor update, the following upgrade for late 2021 makes sense for a big redesign. Windows 10 21H2 (fall 2021 update) is expected to include a new Start Menu, Action Center, Taskbar, and inbox applications. There’ll be performance and dark theme ‘consistency’ improvements too.

Update 1: The Chromium post appears to have been edited and it does not contain the release month anymore.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
So GA will be postponed till June, but RTM should be released in March (2103). Still waiting for 21H1 enablement package to finally enjoy DoH. Currently, there is only "fake" 21H1. :cautious:

Attachments

• capture_01312021_183420.jpg
    capture_01312021_183420.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 283

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft has officially confirmed that Windows 10, version 21H1 will be the next Windows 10 update to be released later during the spring of 2021.

Windows 10 21H1 will come with no hardware requirement changes when compared to Windows 10 20H2, the previous release, according to a blog post on the company's official Windows Hardware Certification blog.

"The Windows 10, version 21H1 release will not bring updates to the Windows Hardware Compatibility Program and will follow the same guidelines as 20H2," Microsoft said.
"Windows 10, version 2004 requirements remain applicable for Windows 10, version 21H1 release."

The company also added that drivers compatible with systems running Windows 10, version 2004 will be digitally signed for 21H1 using the same signature properties.
"Drivers that meet all the applicable Windows 10, version 2004 requirements will be digitally signed with the same signature attributes," Microsoft added.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
On Tuesday, Microsoft updated their Windows 10 21H1 announcement post to state that they are now releasing the feature update as a recommended download to all Windows 10 Insiders in the Beta channel.

With this move, Microsoft is more aggressively testing the new feature update with a much larger audience and a greater diversity of hardware to resolve bugs and conflicts before the new version is released to the public.

This release could be as soon as the next couple of months, as Microsoft has already started pushing down the necessary files to current public versions of Windows. [...]

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I used to really look forward to new Windows releases, and even bi-yearly updates - But I think because I'm getting older I'm happy with things as they are & it's a ever increasing battle with me running Windows as I want it as opposed to how MS want it? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Marana

Level 1
Verified
Jan 21, 2018
I used to really look forward to new Windows releases, and even bi-yearly updates - But I think because I'm getting older I'm happy with things as they are & it's a ever increasing battle with me running Windows as I want it as opposed to how MS want it? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Same here. That's one of the reasons I'm using Windows 10 LTSC 2019 (=1809) :sneaky:(y)

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
So GA will be postponed till June, but RTM should be released in March (2103). Still waiting for 21H1 enablement package to finally enjoy DoH. Currently, there is only "fake" 21H1. :cautious:
Is this:
the RTM now?

Marana

Level 1
Verified
Jan 21, 2018
Well, actually I had not checked for that for some time, but since you asked for it.... here we go. :)

Oh, that was interesting! I was aware of neither Office 2021 LTSC version nor Windows 10 Enterprise IOT LTSC version.

As of now, however, I feel that I will most probably stick with Office 2016 and Windows 10 LTSC 2019 at least for the next 2-3 years. They provide me with all the features that I need. It also seems to me that every new feature (including new security features!) are prone to new vulnerabilities, so why upgrade if your current configuration provides reasonable security, and Microsoft still continues to provide security updates to both Office 2016 and and Windows LTSC 2019.

Marana

Level 1
Verified
Jan 21, 2018
It's an organization license, although I faintly recollect having read somewhere that nowadays it would be possible to purchase also individual upgrade licenses to upgrage a Home or Pro license to LTSC - i.e. without having access to Microsoft Volume Licensing Center.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.