Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Hi everyone !

Looking at your security config I saw that some /many of you use a local account on Windows .

I open this thread to ask you why ? For security ? Is there any difference regarding security ?

I added a poll so you can select what you use

Looking forward to hearing from you .

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
also to note: No matter if you are using a local account or a microsoft one, all the cloud services will be running no matter which type of account you choose (doing pretty much nothing) so, it is most likely the same at least for me xD . The only difference is that with a microsoft account, microsoft is able to trace your steps more efficiently

SecretKeeper

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 25, 2015
I only use a Microsoft account on my devices so my themes and settings get synced across one and other, without having to do it all manually. And, so I can use the Xbox DVR & Check my outlook and what not.

Local, I don't think does much difference but locks you out of certain apps and features.

SmileMore

Level 1
Verified
Oct 15, 2016
So far, I didn't experience difference (I did use both account in the past). It's not same for microsoft because with MS account, they can trace you more easily (tracking people is a billions dollar business). For privacy purpose, it's suggested to use local account...

Last edited:

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Starting from Windows 8, MS is pushing users to use MS account.
Personally I use a local account because I do not need synchronization.
When you log in to Windows 10 with a Microsoft account, you are using the same credentials that you normally use to sign in to your account on Outlook.com, Hotmail, Windows Live and so on, but I rarely use MS services.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Local account causes a problem that I and many users cannot change Default Apps (to chrome, VLC,...). IT can only be fixed when we use MS account and yes, it did fix for me. When I changed it back to local account, the problem appeared again. I don't wanna reset or reinstall windows

I much prefer local account than MS one but for this problem. It forced me to use MS account

Last edited:

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I use a Microsoft account for syncronization. It's quite nice when you buy a new computer and you don't lose any time configuring wireless connections and even some windows configurations, for instance. I don't care if Microsoft is tracking me or not and any ads directed at me will be blocked anyway.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I already gave M$ money for the licence, I don't see why I should be paying with my data as well. So of course, it's all local accounts here.

Changing default apps is a bit funny, in fact they try to get you from doing it just like having a local account by hiding it rather well. Always worked for me, though.

You can still log into M$ services, like their store, by providing your details just there.

Everybody who doesn't have a problem with tracking should be aware of the fact that, while they have a choice now, that might just not be an option in the future any longer if the majority stays complacent about their privacy. And I'm sure there's a valid reason you don't live in a glass house either or send letters while postcards would arrive just the same.

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Sorry for the delay

As soon as I can I will give you a little reason to use a MS account .
If you use a local account ( not linked with a MS account ) it is possible to reset the pw of Windows using a restore usb created with built in Windows tool ,or with a bootable usb with a W10 iso ( like I did days ago with my old netbook , because I did not remember the pw).

I discovered this reading this guide
reset password utente locale windows in caso di emergenza #windows

It's in Italian , but as soon as I can I will translate it for you in English
( of course someone should have your PC for some minutes )

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Local account causes a problem that I and many users cannot change Default Apps (to chrome, VLC,...). IT can only be fixed when we use MS account and yes, it did fix for me. When I changed it back to local account, the problem appeared again. I don't wanna reset or reinstall windows

I much prefer local account than MS one but for this problem. It forced me to use MS account

Have you tried 'Open With' in Explorer context menu (example for Sumatra PDF):
Right click on PDF file - Open with - Choose another app - SumatraPdf - check: Always use this app to open ...

D

Deleted member 2913

If I remember correctly, I once faced the same prob with Local Account. I signed in i.e online account & was able to set default apps. And when I changed back to local account, set default apps were fine & no probs later.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Have you tried 'Open With' in Explorer context menu (example for Sumatra PDF):
Right click on PDF file - Open with - Choose another app - SumatraPdf - check: Always use this app to open ...
I know this one. It did solve the problem but with microsoft accound we can change everything more freely. I don't understand why MS doesn't fix it, also the bug for missing audio icon after a reboot

sometimes I wanted make an app default but it didn't appear in Default Apps, for example utorrent for magnet links. choosing yes when the popup asked for default downloader was not applied. It prompted everytime I restarted utorrent

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Reason for me was that both PC's shared the same Microsoft Account to log in, therefore they also shared the OneDrive.
Now get infected by some ransomware happily encrpyting the cloud storage, too.
Had this once, was luckily able to roll it back, but that's the reason I have a M$ Account for production, and a empty of personal data but common software, local account one on the laptop I use to test malware on, too.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.