Microsoft announces Surface Pro 3 - New 12-inch packing Core i7, Fanless chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Developing story: http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/20/microsoft-surface-pro-3/

The company just announced a larger Surface, the 12-inch Surface Pro 3. In addition to being the biggest Surface yet, though, it's also said to be the thinnest-ever product to run a laptop-grade Intel Core i7 processor. All told, the thing measures just 9.1mm (0.36 inch) thick, making it about as thick as one of the earlier iPads -- incredible when you remember this is more akin to an Ultrabook than a tablet. What's more, this thing is fanless. Pretty standard for a regular slate, sure, but a fricking Core i7 laptop? Not quite.

Of course, the new Surface Pro 3 is still heavy next to an iPad Air or Samsung Galaxy Tab. But hey, the Surface Pro was never supposed to compete with those kinds of tablets anyway. No, this is and always was a laptop killer.​

CtoBhpW.jpg

(Image Source: Engadget.com)

What's New in Surface Pro 3
- New 12-inch screen (2160 x 1440)
- Thinner and Lighter at 800g (1.76 lbs)
- Fan-less chassis with Intel Core i7 CPU
- New Kickstand
- New Type Cover (physical keys)

Reactions: MrExplorer

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Ars Technica reviews Surface Pro 3

Surface Pro 3 is the closest Microsoft has come yet to producing a laptop-killing tablet. But the laptop will live on to fight another day. This time around, the third iteration isn't the one that gets it right.

The good
  • Beautiful design
  • Beautiful screen
  • Packs so much into so little
  • Neat OneNote integration
The bad
  • The dearth of USB ports
  • The touchpad remains mediocre
  • Some people will find it expensive
The ugly
  • It's still the best laptop replacement that can't actually replace a laptop

Read full review
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/05/surface-pro-3-review-is-the-third-time-the-charm/

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.