Advice Request Microsoft Bans Windows 7 from Updating on Kaby Lake and Ryzen Processors

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Just found this article.
I would like to read your thoughts about it.
Personally i don't agree and i don't like this decision from MS.
P.S: @Jack if this not the right category please put it in the correct one.

It is because Microsoft wants to completely eliminate all prior versions of Windows. Their ultimate goal is to support only a single OS - Windows 10. It's a part of their corporate strategy. Read the Microsoft shareholder annual report...

Microsoft created the fragmented OS user base in the first place. Now they don't want to support it any longer.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
It is because Microsoft wants to completely eliminate all prior versions of Windows. Their ultimate goal is to support only a single OS - Windows 10. It's a part of their corporate strategy. Read the Microsoft shareholder annual report...

Microsoft created the fragmented OS user base in the first place. Now they don't want to support it any longer.
I agree with that but i also believe that MS is doing this for money.
Since there is no free upgrade now many will have tp buy W10 and especially enterprises

I agree with that but i also believe that MS is doing this for money.
Since there is no free upgrade now many will have tp buy W10 and especially enterprises

It is another measure to force OEMs to install only Windows 10. It is to prevent users from installing anything other than Windows 10 on custom-built systems.

It just means that on newly minted Ryzen systems, the system owner cannot "downgrade" to Windows 8\8.1, 7, Vista, and XP.

No one will be forced to upgrade to Windows 10 because Ryzen systems are very new - but they will have only a single option for Windows on Ryzen systems - including custom built systems - and that's Windows 10.

I haven't seen pre-Windows 10 installed on any Kaby Lake systems. As far as I recall, Microsoft banned OEMs from installing pre-Windows 10 on Kaby Lake systems. But, of course, if there are any, then they will either have to use the Assistive Technology free upgrade for Windows 10 or buy a Windows 10 license.

Of course... this entire Windows 10 rigmarole is all about money... just about everything Microsoft does is all about money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.