Microsoft 'Confirms' Windows 10 Has Seriously Nasty Surprise

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
But suddenly Microsoft has confirmed millions of Windows 10 users will never get it…

Speaking to PC World, Microsoft said that despite pledging Windows 10 feature updates until October 13th 2020, this will now depend on users running relatively modern hardware. In short: if a manufacturer stops supporting your hardware at any point then Microsoft may not longer upgrade your version of Windows 10.
For more read here

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
> if a manufacturer stops supporting your hardware at any point
How about making online petition signed by millions of Windows users and send them to your PC's manufacturer telling them to keep supporting every hardware at least until 2060? ....Doubt that will work though.

People who dislike new features might be fine with this since they will still receive security updates.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Cruel but true.
But c'mon guys & gals, you know there are always alternative options...if it goes that way, i really suggest fireup VM and study little those choises, you know what i mean. This is not fair at all.... Dammit!

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
It's not fair but i can understand their decision
Installing W10 on my old laptop made fan working overtime all the time even though i had one tab open on my browser and nothing else.
Come back to W7 and laptop is working without a problem and fan is working only when it needs to.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Not fair at all. :(
Well OEM supports new PC for a year and leave you in the dust these days. Even my new PC is obsolete. haha. But on Linux, it still 2 to 3 years to fully my hardware especially Killer Wireless 1535. I upgraded to linux Kernel 4.10 and battery life is similar to Windows( using Intel IGP).
Keep a copy of linux in hand when MSFT and OEMs decide to pull the plug on their older PCs.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If they actually do this it means no upgrades for any laptop that is more than 3 year old. But you can relax for now because they are just preparing the i made windows 10 a monthly subscription and you have to upgrade because support has ended for your version.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
That is actually a good news. Currently 10 keeps upgrading no matter what, even the hardware is unsupported, which results in many problems.

The problem is as always Microsoft, which is death scared of using a proper name for 10, we have got Windows 10.3 (Service Pack 3) now.
You can buy a device, which clearly say, it supports 10, but it does not mean, it supports 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and so fort. Darn you MS. :confused:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
That is actually a good news. Currently 10 keeps upgrading no matter what, even the hardware is unsupported, which results in many problems.

The problem is as always Microsoft, which is death scared of using a proper name for 10, we have got Windows 10.3 (Service Pack 3) now.
You can buy a device, which clearly say, it supports 10, but it does not mean, it supports 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 and so fort. Darn you MS. :confused:
Well to be fair MS can't just support a device w/o the device manufacture supporting it i.e. by providing drivers & all. Sure MS can tinker OS so that it plays well with unsupported hardware but ultimately the user experience will suffer (BSOD and bad performance) and everyone is going to blame only MS.;)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Well to be fair MS can't just support a device w/o the device manufacture supporting it i.e. by providing drivers & all. Sure MS can tinker OS so that it plays well with unsupported hardware but ultimately the user experience will suffer (BSOD and bad performance) and everyone is going to blame only MS.;)
It is MS, which has decided to use Windows 10 name for everything forever, even-though we are basically running Windows 13, so it is definitely to blame.
Luckily some manufactures have got more sense and they are actually listing drivers as for Windows 1511, 1607, 1703, etc, not just for Windows 10. :rolleyes:

Reactions: brambedkar59

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.