Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft Could Bring “Ads” in Windows 10 Share Menu

One of the changes coming in the Windows 10 Creators Update due in April is a brand-new share menu, which opens right in the center of the screen instead of the sidebar as it happens in the existing stable OS builds.

But while the revamped share menu isn’t exactly surprising since we’ve seen it several times already, having app recommendations in it certainly is.

As gHacks reports (with a screenshot posted on Twitter by Vitor Mikaelson), the share menu will include not only the typical apps you can use for sharing content, but also some other apps that you don’t have installed on your PC. And which were never installed, actually.

Some people call these “ads,” Microsoft itself calls them app recommendations, and the chances are that you’ll be able to disable them from the Settings screen in Windows 10. But without a doubt, all these recommendations could become a little bit too intrusive, especially because they would thus show up on the lock screen, in the Start menu, and in the share menu.

Turning app recommendations off will still be possible
Clicking one of the app recommendations in any of these Windows 10 screens will get users to the Store product listing, allowing them to instantly start the install process.

In the screenshot included in the article, the Box app is the one that’s recommended by Windows 10 and which could be used for sharing, so clicking it opens the Windows Store right to the point where you can install Box.

This functionality will become available for users with the debut of the Windows 10 Creators Update in April, so Microsoft can still improve it in the meantime. Without a doubt, however, turning app recommendations will still be possible, so if you don’t want to see them when using the operating system, that shouldn’t be a problem.

What will be more interesting, however, is to see whether Microsoft makes this behavior default in Windows 10 Creators Update and judging from what it happened in the previous OS updates, there’s a good chance it does.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Yeah, I have noticed the AD infrastructure in the places MS hides the Apps.
I have removed it from 3 locations I think.
They can keep their ad's ;)
PS: I also think ShutUp10 has a new option to turn this off.
PeAcE

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
What are the locations you have discovered?
1: C:/windows/systemApps
2: C:/Programdata/microsoft/winoows/apprepository
3: C:/Windows/infusedapps/
Windows apps locations are well hidden in numerous locations.
In total I think I have found 4 or 5 locations in total, the advertising
is located in the 3 I listed though, some locations require for you to show
hidden Files & Folders in order to access them.

Reactions: Ink
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.