Advice Request Microsoft Could Launch a Start Menu Option in Windows 8

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Microsoft Could Launch a Start Menu Option in Windows 8 on Softpedia here ..

Microsoft Could Launch a Start Menu Option in Windows 8 : http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Could-Launch-a-Start-Menu-Option-in-Windows-8-307447.shtml

' .. Steven Sinofsky is no longer head of the Windows division and more and more voices familiar with matter are hinting that a Start Menu option could, after all, land on Windows 8 platforms.

There are already several third-party apps that could restore the Start Menu on Windows 8 and Stardoc’s Start8 is one of the most popular.

Kris Kwilas, Stardock's technology vice president, says that his software has already sold tens of thousands of copies ..'

Will Microsoft restore Start Menu to Windows 8? : http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/11/13/microsoft-sinofsky-fired-windows-8/1702511/?morestories=obinsite#

.. 'Al Hilwa, IDC's applications development software analyst, surmises that the bottom line probably dictated the timing of Ballmer firing Sinofsky.

The Windows division reported declining sales in the company's fiscal 2013 first quarter, which ended Sept. 30. Six weeks into Microsoft's fiscal second quarter, and two weeks into a Windows 8 marketing blitz, Ballmer must not like what he sees in Windows sales trends, Hilwa says.

Hilwa says Ballmer has to at least be weighing a reversal of Sinofsky's call to dump the Start Menu whole hog.

"Clearly, if the product isn't doing well, they could come up with a service pack that restores the Start Menu," Hilwa says. "There's a whole bunch of smaller decisions that could make the product easier to use with a mouse. They may have to dial the needle down enough to bring enterprises on board." ' ..

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
One problem with that though. One of the bigger masterminds behind the start screen was Julie Larson-Green, who is now the head of the Windows department. So don't expect her to backtrack any day soon.

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
I haven't used the Start Menu in so long, heh. Launchy and 'Win + R' do everything for me. I like the Start Screen better than the Menu but then that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.