Advice Request Microsoft Data Shows Way Too Many Windows 7 Users Don’t Install Antivirus Apps

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft Data Shows Way Too Many Windows 7 Users Don’t Install Antivirus Apps

Despite the many security improvements included in the most recent versions of Windows, having an up-to-date antivirus solution running on a system still appears to be a mandatory thing to do given the growing number of attacks and infections targeting users.

But statistics provided by Microsoft reveal that users of older Windows versions enjoy playing with fire, as many of them don’t run any antivirus software on their computers, while others keep them off.

Specifically, the data that was published by the software company in the Security Intelligence Report Volume 22 concerns systems that aren’t listed as “protected,” which means they’re not having an up-to-date antivirus solution because of various reasons.

In the case of Windows Vista and Windows 7 installs, the top reason is that no antivirus is installed, with more than 50 percent of unprotected computers running any of the two operating systems said to be going commando.

“On Windows Vista and Windows 7, unprotected computers predominantly report having no AntiMalware software installed at all. On subsequent Windows versions, Windows Defender is enabled by default if no other antimalware software is present, so the number of computers reporting no antimalware software is very low,” Microsoft explains.

Out-of-date antivirus protection
As far as Windows 8 and 8.1 users are concerned, the problem here is that most of them keep their antivirus off because of a reason that’s too hard to understand, while another substantial number of users forget to update their security products.

This is what is happening among Windows 10 users as well, as the biggest problems here are out-of-date and snoozed antivirus solutions.

Both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 come with Windows Defender pre-installed, and even if third-party protection is disabled or removed, antivirus security is still offered. On the other hand, just like any other antivirus solution, Windows Defender needs to be up-to-date as well, and Microsoft ships new definitions regularly to make sure the latest threats are detected and blocked.

HaMeR

Level 3
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 16, 2014
Common sense + monthly malwarebytes scan more than enough.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
They can be infected by USB or similar media.
Nah, those folks need to turn a common USB 2.0 stick at least 3 times until they get it in there and usually get tired after the 2nd turn. They're pretty safe. :D

I agree with the common sense part, but given the current state of Malwarebytes you might as well run a quick dir /p on the command line once a month, that'll keep you about just as safe. :p

HaMeR

Level 3
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 16, 2014
I agree with the common sense part, but given the current state of Malwarebytes you might as well run a quick dir /p on the command line once a month, that'll keep you about just as safe. :p

I don´t get it sorry. What do you mean with current state of Malwarebytes?

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I don´t get it sorry. What do you mean with current state of Malwarebytes?
I mean that Malwarebytes 3.X went downhill from 2.X. I used to have 6 subscriptions, now cancelled all of them. Gotta pay what it's worth, which brings it down to exactly 0 $.

HaMeR

Level 3
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 16, 2014
i think its okay for a free product. Obviously you can´t replace it as a normal antivirus, its more like a second oppinion av

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Common sense lapses far more often than people care to admit and can't protect against something you've no control over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.