Advice Request Microsoft Data Shows Way Too Many Windows 7 Users Don’t Install Antivirus Apps

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft Data Shows Way Too Many Windows 7 Users Don’t Install Antivirus Apps

Despite the many security improvements included in the most recent versions of Windows, having an up-to-date antivirus solution running on a system still appears to be a mandatory thing to do given the growing number of attacks and infections targeting users.

But statistics provided by Microsoft reveal that users of older Windows versions enjoy playing with fire, as many of them don’t run any antivirus software on their computers, while others keep them off.

Specifically, the data that was published by the software company in the Security Intelligence Report Volume 22 concerns systems that aren’t listed as “protected,” which means they’re not having an up-to-date antivirus solution because of various reasons.

In the case of Windows Vista and Windows 7 installs, the top reason is that no antivirus is installed, with more than 50 percent of unprotected computers running any of the two operating systems said to be going commando.

“On Windows Vista and Windows 7, unprotected computers predominantly report having no AntiMalware software installed at all. On subsequent Windows versions, Windows Defender is enabled by default if no other antimalware software is present, so the number of computers reporting no antimalware software is very low,” Microsoft explains.

Out-of-date antivirus protection
As far as Windows 8 and 8.1 users are concerned, the problem here is that most of them keep their antivirus off because of a reason that’s too hard to understand, while another substantial number of users forget to update their security products.

This is what is happening among Windows 10 users as well, as the biggest problems here are out-of-date and snoozed antivirus solutions.

Both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 come with Windows Defender pre-installed, and even if third-party protection is disabled or removed, antivirus security is still offered. On the other hand, just like any other antivirus solution, Windows Defender needs to be up-to-date as well, and Microsoft ships new definitions regularly to make sure the latest threats are detected and blocked.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
People should be required by law to run some anti-malware solution and flogged in public on market day for deliberately aiding and abetting in the spread of malware if they don't.

Until I'm president and the law is passed we'll have to hope the occasional loss of everything dear through ransomware leads to some form of learning experience. :p

"he problem here is that most of them keep their antivirus off because of a reason that’s too hard to understand, while another substantial number of users forget to update their security products.

This is the Number 1 problem that typical users state is their issue with any security software. Most cannot even handle making sure Windows Defender is updated.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I couldn't find where the article states what percentage have no AV.

microsoft-data-shows-way-too-many-windows-7-users-don-t-install-antivirus-apps-517446-2.jpg

The above chart is on 41 page (figure 26) in the original report:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...33/Security_Intelligence_Report_Volume_22.pdf

The data is related only to unprotected computers, so 56% (blue) for Windows 7 means, that 56% of unprotected computers have no AV installed. It does not say anything about how many computers have no AV, as compared to all computers (protected and unprotected).

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Incredible !! ... the best is that it is using programs, denial by default, and windows center does not detect any Av. Jajajaj.
this is serious. But if there are people so do not use Av.

jazzmaster

Level 1
Verified
Aug 20, 2017
In my country there are many people that don't know how & what is anti- malware (not educated about malware properly).

They think their machine is safe enough if the don't use to connect to internet, so they think didn't need anti malware.

There are people to that think if I have installed anti malware it is secure enough without maintenance OS update and anti malware updates.

Many people still using not trusted & reliable company product (I can't say brand name) and think is enough without using 2nd opinion scanner or something else. Yes I know cause my self do that many years ago. Hehehe

After got malware infection they blame and judge to their used product but don't want to learn and do same thing again.

CMIIW

Last edited:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
No idea why people not install any security software. In India for example there are huge number of people who never bothers to install any anti-malware software, as the article points out there are many people who have installed an anti malware but in non working state it could be expired, corrupt or disabled. If we came to use such systems one can see tons of PUP programs, obviously malwares if one does an on-demand scan, layers of toolbars, shortcut links to weird sites etc will literally make you feel nausea.

ispx

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2017
there are many people who have installed an anti malware but in non working state it could be expired, corrupt or disabled.

you are so right. the worst are the idiots who have a paid & reputable anti-virus like trend micro installed but it is not up-to-date.

& their defense is " oh! but i have trend micro installed " o_O an anti-virus which ain't updated is as good as not having any protection.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Maybe that users have installed anti-exe or sandboxing apps + safety habits and in fact they don`t need any AV. ;)
Well those configurations are for security geeks .... I do not think there is so much geek loose by there .... What it is that they do not know anything about security, they just want to play and chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.