Microsoft Edge browser's InPrivate mode may not be as private as you thought

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Microsoft’s Edge browser in Windows 10 was seen as a new beginning for the company who had long stuck with the aging Internet Explorer. Edge was built from the ground up to incorporate the latest in browsing technology, with performance matching that of Google Chrome. Some of the new features include Cortana Assist, web annotation and a reading mode.

But it seems like the browser’s InPrivate browsing feature may not be as ‘private’ as we’re lead to believe. Researcher Ashish Singh discovered that users' full browsing history was being stored on their hard drives, noting that “even the private browsing isn’t as private as it seems” in his report, published on Forensic Focus. He added that "websites visited in private mode are also stored in the browser’s WebCache file.”

Essentially, this leaves your complete browsing history in Edge open to attackers, by allowing them to gain access by locating the 'Container_n' table within the browser’s history database. The folks over at The Verge were able to partially confirm this, although they were unable to retrieve a complete history from their private session. They noted, however, that a trained professional would likely have more success.

A Microsoft spokesperson told The Verge that it "recently became aware of a report that claims InPrivate tabs are not working as designed", but added that the company is “committed to resolving this as quickly as possible."

Source: Forensic Focus via The Verge

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
No such thing as an reliably "private", built-in private browsing mode in most browsers (perhaps in Firefox browsers, but that is also questionable).

In any case, it is up to the user's configuration to achieve the best possible degree of anonymity. I, personally, would not rely solely on any browser's "private browsing" mode.

I only used it to download another browser.
This is the funniest thing I've read all day, and the fact that I can totally relate to it makes it even funnier! :D

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm not surprise, why? Because the algorithm for In-Private should store something an information that the user browse, however it came on the problem on deleting/resetting the changes which why files store on unique/common file associations, hence prone on viewing by attackers.

Safari, Chromium browsers and others are undergone with that issues; which why properly disclosed the information is the must.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.