Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft stunned the tech industry when it announced it was sunsetting Microsoft Edge rendering engine and would replace Windows 10’s default web rendering engine with one developed by the Chromium, which is an open-source project headed by Google Chrome engineers.

There are plenty of reasons for old Edge’s failure, but a significant one is Google’s dominance over the web and Microsoft’s lack of intent to develop a feature-rich browser before sunsetting Internet Explorer.

Another one is the lack of extensions in the Edge web store. There were only 118 extensions in the Edge add-ons store, which was just a fraction of those offered in the Google Web Store.

Microsoft said that they only approve the extensions tested and validated by its Edge team to ensure quality and security, but this approach backfired and more users switched to better alternatives, such as Chrome and Firefox.

By adopting Chromium, Microsoft has addressed all these issues and Edge is now getting more frequent updates. Plus, Edge is still faster than Chrome, thanks to the numerous resources and power consumption improvements made by Microsoft.

According to both NetMarketShare and StatCounter, Microsoft Edge is growing at an exceptional rate. NetMarketShare said that Edge is now the second most popular web browser, while StatCounter report suggests Edge is still catching up and it will beat Firefox soon.
Read the full article here at Windows Latest:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Still chromium has the most awful hardware acceleration with low quality blurry image rendering and YouTube frame drops. That's not Edge's fault of course, it's a very old issue of Chromium. But Edge as well as every Chromium browser is suffering from this. I hope the Microsoft team can help Chromium out on this. I asked them on Twitter, waiting for a reply.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
That's caused by the way how hardware accelerated video decoding works (the video it's only rendered when you watch it), for some reason on Windows FF always reports 0 frame drops with HW acceleration but on Linux it behaves the same as Chromium and drops frames as usual.
The YouTube frame dropping a is minor issue to me as it's not noticeable during playback but I can certainly see and notice if I scroll while watching or switch to other tabs. No such issue on Firefox on Windows, everything is super smooth.
But my main issue is image rendering on Chromium. It's blurry but sharp and clear on Firefox.
Anyway, that's off-topic so I'll create a new thread later.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.