Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 21
Verified
What are members' views on this question? My first thought is to skip it as the Devs are thinking, but having one built-in might help it to gain popularity. The tone of the article is very clear that they are taking this mission seriously, to build a popular and secure browser. I for one would like to see it compete with Chrome and Firefox so I'd like to know what you all think.
On Android Edge is bundled with Adblock Plus (disabled by default). They could do the same on Windows.
Personally i would prefer a fully functional uBlock Origin, but a builtin adblocker like Opera or Brave has is also a great option and hopefully solves or prevents problems with Extension Manifest V3.

oldschool

Level 35
Verified
On Android Edge is bundled with Adblock Plus (disabled by default). They could do the same on Windows.
Personally i would prefer a fully functional uBlock Origin, but a builtin adblocker like Opera or Brave has is also a great option and hopefully solves or prevents problems with Extension Manifest V3.
My feelings exactly. The built-in would attract set-and-forget users but obsessive-compulsives like us would still be free to tweak! :D

Local Host

Level 18
Verified
From our friends on Ghacks:
Honestly I do not want a built-in ad-blocker into the browser, is just bloat at this point when we have better alternatives available.

There's the fine example of Microsoft Edge for Android, comes with built-in ad-blocker and is pretty weak on top of conflicting with Adguard.

silversurfer

Level 52
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
The feature is now available in both the Canary and Dev builds of Microsoft Edge browser, but also in the most recent Canary version of Google Chrome.

Basically, with this new option, whenever you listen to or watch anything on YouTube or other media sites (including… yes… adult pages), pressing the media controls on your keyboard should trigger the media controls overlay that’s offered in Windows 10 at operating system level.

In addition to the typical media controls available here, you should also see a thumbnail of the media that is playing in the browser, as well as the title of the content being played.

oldschool

Level 35
Verified

Microsoft Edge (Chromium) may also block media keys on Windows 10

The most recent development versions of the Chromium-based Microsoft Edge web browser comes with a new feature that uses media controls on Windows 10 devices.
Google started to enable a feature in Chrome in 2019 that would react to media key activations on the keyboard. While that meant that Chrome users can control media playback using these keys, it had the negative effect that it blocked other apps from interacting with the media keys.
Spotify users noticed, for example, that they could not control the application anymore using media hardware keys if Chrome was open.
The new Microsoft Edge browser is based on Chromium and it supports the same functionality in recent builds so that media can be controlled in Microsoft Edge using hardware media keys.
Microsoft's upcoming browser supports several features that Chrome does not support. It supports 4K Netflix playback just like the classic Edge browser, and offers other features that Google Chrome does not support.
Google and Microsoft engineers collaborated on the feature and improved it further since the initial release in Chrome.
The most recent editions of the browser display thumbnail icons in the media overlay when media keys are used while media is playing in the browsers.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 21
Verified
Dev channel update to 77.0.189.3 is live: Dev channel update to 77.0.189.3 is live
New features and behavior:

• Added a page in Settings to choose your desired New Tab Page layout.
  • Added an option in the Help and Feedback menu to report an unsafe website.
  • Multiple tabs can now be selected using the keyboard’s ctrl and space keys.
  • Added dark theme to the Send Feedback dialog.
  • Added a separator between the active tab and the rest of the tabs when the color of the tab band makes it difficult to tell the difference between the active tab and the rest of the tabs.
  • Updated the color of windows when they’re inactive.

Local Host

Level 18
Verified
This is what we need,
Added a page in Settings to choose your desired New Tab Page layout.
I believe this setting is NOT needed, as its available on the New Tab page. I suggest to combine On Startup and New Tab Page pages in Settings into one with 2 above subsections. In New Tab Page subsection, offer choice:
  • User Set Layout
  • Empty Tab
  • Open a Web Page
Generally, try cutting the list of Settings pages to bare minimum, and make each such page contain many relevant settings, not just left almost empty.

Reactions: oldschool

Local Host

Level 18
Verified