silversurfer

Level 52
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Microsoft has brought the ability to pin websites directly to taskbar from Classic Edge in Windows 10 to new Edge browser based on Chromium and the functionality is available in latest Edge Canary 77.0.197.0.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 21
Verified
Hello Insiders! Today we released build 77.0.211.1 to the Microsoft Edge Developer channel. We’ve got some new features, many of which you’ve seen over the past two weeks in Canary and have been eagerly waiting for in Dev. We’ve also fixed quite a few reliability and behavior issues, the most significant of which include:

New features and behavior:
  • Read Aloud enabled for PDFs
  • Enable secure receipt of payment card data.
  • Enable Application Reputation from SmartScreen by default
  • Fix to support Dolby audio on Windows 8.
  • Family safety feature has a flag in edge://flags.
  • Direct launch for ClickOnce applications has been enabled.
  • Support for HEVC decoder has been added.
  • Enable Windows Defender Application Guard by default
  • Now we sort extensions into “From Microsoft Store” and “From other store” categories
  • Added “Recent” category in History management page
  • Disabled InPrivate browsing for profiles managed by Family Settings
  • Added tracking prevention under a flag in edge://flags.
  • Added ability to Save pages as MHTML from reading view
  • Work to support single sign on (SSO) and Azure Active Directory (AAD)
  • Work to support DRM in PDF
  • Localization into 11 languages (more coming)
  • Enabling SmartScreen on macOS by default
  • Enabling SafeSearch functionality for all Bing searches.

Fixes for improved reliability:
  • Fix for TouchBar on macOS when in YouTube fullscreen mode.
  • Multiple fixes to sync engine
  • Improved the crash reporting and uploading
  • Fixed a crash on URL load
  • Fixed an error when sync was turned off and on repeatedly.
  • Fixed a crash when trying to write to a read only date attribute
  • Fixed a crash when moving tab between two windows on separate screens.
  • Fixed a crash that occurred when sync occurred before sign-on completed
  • Fixed a crash that occurs on some navigation requests.
  • Fixed a crash on pop-up windows
  • Fixed crash on launch of Microsoft Edge of macOS Sierra and High Sierra versions
  • Enabled ability to automatically repair extensions by default.
  • Fixed an issue with guest more support on privacy and services settings page.
  • Fixed crash on launch of Microsoft Edge of macOS

Fixes for improved behavior:
  • Improvements to dark mode in various controls and pages
  • Select the last used Chrome profile by default when importing from Chrome.
  • Move multiple controls to Fluent UI
  • Improve the cleanup logic in the installer
  • Limit New Tab Page content for Education SKUs and Windows 10s.
  • Fixes to new WebView control rendering
  • Fixes for importing defaults from Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer
  • Fixes for Reading View toolbar
  • Fixes for importing pinned tabs and settings during First Run Experience
  • Fix to use user preference for font size rather than preset default.
  • Automatically move keyboard focus to address bar after First Run Experience
  • Fixed the swipe gesture for History on macOS
  • Fixed the sync icon badge on the user flyout.
  • Audio offload fixes to improve performance and battery life.

In addition to this work, there has been a ton of work on coming features including enterprise management and IE-mode. And of course, thanks to everybody for being an insider and sending us all of your great feedback and suggestions!

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 21
Verified
Has somebody enabled "Microsoft Edge tracking prevention" in edge://flags ?
Doesn't seem to do much here, but maybe because I'm using uBlock Origin. :unsure:
To answer my own question :D It is working see screenshot:

Schermopname (5).png

On AnandTech: Hardware News and Tech Reviews Since 1997 Microsoft Edge tracking prevention (strict) blocks 5 trackers and uBlock Origin now only has to block 3.
Without Microsoft Edge tracking prevention (strict) uBlock Origin blocks 8.

Windows_Security

Level 23
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Doesn't seem to do much here, but maybe because I'm using uBlock Origin. :unsure:
Set it on maximum, then it blocks 90% of third-party trackers. I run uB0 without blocklists now (only soft medium mode blocking with TLD whitlist and blocking all third-party for insecure websites).

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
1. IE Mode now works in Microsoft's Chromium-based Edge browser
It's worth noting that the flag was actually discovered a few weeks ago, but enabling it at the time would only launch IE as a separate application. Now, there's a new option in the dropdown list, so you can choose between Default, Disabled, IE Mode, and NeedIE.

IE Mode is already available in the Dev branch; however, you won't find it in Edge for Mac. This is because Internet Explorer isn't supported on Macs, so it was deemed unnecessary.
Another new feature added is a flag called 'Limit media autoplay', which will block certain sites from autoplaying video.

Moonhorse

Level 26
Verified
Content Creator
Microsoft edge dev been my mainbrowser for a while now, tracking prevention on strict mode is pretty decent if all you need is just an adblocker, yet it wont prevent ads in videos and on malicious sites you probably get tons of pop-ups so for careful person its fine to run strict mode without adblocker for cpu/memory/w/e savings

But i still use ublock origin + strict mode myself and never seen any problems, when the strict mode came out on first day ublock origin used to corrupt, but i guess thats fixed for now ( since i havent seen that anymore)

I use kaspersky cloud av free , so i dont have any anti-exploit or dll protection so i have enabled @Windows_Security suggested windows security center > exploit protection on msedge.exe ( code integrity protection, not sure of correct name right now)

The ::/flags i use ;
Smooth Scrolling - disabled
Enable AppContainer Lockdown. - enabled
Enable GPU AppContainer Lockdown. - enabled
PDF Isolation - enabled
TLS 1.3 downgrade hardening - enabled
Mark non-secure origins as non-secure - mark as actively dangerous
Block unsafe downloads over insecure connections - enabled
Microsoft Edge tracking prevention - enabled

+ im only using extensions verified by microsoft store, since im unsure about google chrome manifest
tldr;
- bitwarden
- ublock origin

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 21
Verified
Microsoft edge dev been my mainbrowser for a while now, tracking prevention on strict mode is pretty decent if all you need is just an adblocker, yet it wont prevent ads in videos and on malicious sites you probably get tons of pop-ups so for careful person its fine to run strict mode without adblocker for cpu/memory/w/e savings

But i still use ublock origin + strict mode myself and never seen any problems, when the strict mode came out on first day ublock origin used to corrupt, but i guess thats fixed for now ( since i havent seen that anymore)

I use kaspersky cloud av free , so i dont have any anti-exploit or dll protection so i have enabled @Windows_Security suggested windows security center > exploit protection on msedge.exe ( code integrity protection, not sure of correct name right now)

The ::/flags i use ;
Smooth Scrolling - disabled
Enable AppContainer Lockdown. - enabled
Enable GPU AppContainer Lockdown. - enabled
PDF Isolation - enabled
TLS 1.3 downgrade hardening - enabled
Mark non-secure origins as non-secure - mark as actively dangerous
Block unsafe downloads over insecure connections - enabled
Microsoft Edge tracking prevention - enabled

+ im only using extensions verified by microsoft store, since im unsure about google chrome manifest
tldr;
- bitwarden
- ublock origin
Edge Dev is also my main browser.
I'm using the same extensions as you and only 1 from the Google Chrome store: Bitdefender TrafficLight.
The only thing I don't like about Edge Dev is that EV certificates, like the one from my bank are not visible.
See screenshot Edge Dev (not visible), Google Chrome (in black) and the "old" Edge (in green):
Schermopname (6).png
I have reported it to Microsoft and hopefully they wil do something about it.
I prefer the green option form the "old" Edge.

oldschool

Level 35
Verified
Edge Dev is also my main browser.
I'm using the same extensions as you and only 1 from the Google Chrome store: Bitdefender TrafficLight.
The only thing I don't like about Edge Dev is that EV certificates, like the one from my bank are not visible.
See screenshot Edge Dev (not visible), Google Chrome (in black) and the "old" Edge (in green):
View attachment 216634
I have reported it to Microsoft and hopefully they wil do something about it.
I prefer the green option form the "old" Edge.
I just did the same. I also advise others to use the feedback icon in top-right of browser to easily make requests, report issues, etc. (y)