Moonhorse

Level 26
Verified
Content Creator
Edge Dev is also my main browser.
I'm using the same extensions as you and only 1 from the Google Chrome store: Bitdefender TrafficLight.
The only thing I don't like about Edge Dev is that EV certificates, like the one from my bank are not visible.
See screenshot Edge Dev (not visible), Google Chrome (in black) and the "old" Edge (in green):
View attachment 216634
I have reported it to Microsoft and hopefully they wil do something about it.
I prefer the green option form the "old" Edge.
For me the kaspersky injects script on browser anyways, so i dont see certificates visible at all :rolleyes: but im slowly being okay with that

Windows_Security

Level 23
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator

Inn the mean time you could use Certificate Info
Green = OK
Orange = only when well known brand OK
Grey = only okay when not blacklisted at VT and website exists longer than a year or you have done business with it before and were not disappointed

Shiz

Level 1
I'm using the same extensions as you and only 1 from the Google Chrome store: Bitdefender TrafficLight.
The only thing I don't like about Edge Dev is that EV certificates, like the one from my bank are not visible.
See screenshot Edge Dev (not visible), Google Chrome (in black) and the "old" Edge (in green):
View attachment 216634
Isn't there a flag that relates to the exact problem your describing for chrome edge. It allows to to set your prefer way to display the EV like in old edge or Google chrome. I remember messing with it a while ago. I can't check now because I'm at work.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 19
Verified
Isn't there a flag that relates to the exact problem your describing for chrome edge. It allows to to set your prefer way to display the EV like in old edge or Google chrome. I remember messing with it a while ago. I can't check now because I'm at work.
I hope you are right, but I can't find it... :emoji_thinking:
If you can check later I would appreciate it (y)

Reactions: oldschool

Telos

Level 15
Verified
Content Creator
Got something weird going on... When I got to Manage Favorites and select a favorite, the screen goes blank white. Turning off extensions has no effect. BUT... I just discovered toggling VoodooShield off remedies the problem.

Turning VS back on, and the effect is still gone, but closing the browser, coming to this forum (using forum dark mode) and then opening Manage Favorites, causes the problem to reappear until I disable VS (I'm using Smart Mode).

EDIT1: I'm back to white screens, no matter what I do with VS, so this is either flag related or dev related... or some Stranger Things going on. I'm stumped, but managing favorites is a fail for me.

Win10x64-1903, Edge v77.0.211.3 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

Last edited:

Sammo

Level 1
Just using Eset NOD32. Eset says that the badssl.com certificate has been revoked. If I turn off SSL/TLS scanning of msedge.exe in Eset then I get the results that say no connections were made. However, without the Eset SSL/TLS scanning Eset can not protect Edge Dev.

Last edited:

Sammo

Level 1

Opcode

Level 1
If I turn off SSL/TLS scanning of msedge.exe in Eset then I get the results that say no connections were made. However, without the Eset SSL/TLS scanning Eset can not protect Edge Dev.
ESET are pushing their own certificate/s when SSL/TLS scanning is enabled which allows them to decrypt the encrypted contents of the network packets for HTTPS traffic. In turn, the benefit of this from an AV perspective is that they can acquire more information when scanning the traffic, and thus make a better informed decision on whether that traffic should be allowed or dealt with.

Many solutions are doing it nowadays. While it can cause more issues than it solves, you have to decide on whether you want the feature or not. It's up to you. It's an optional feature.

If you want ESET to be able to protect you from malicious HTTPS traffic then keep the feature enabled and ignore the warnings from badssl.com.

Sammo

Level 1
ESET are pushing their own certificate/s when SSL/TLS scanning is enabled which allows them to decrypt the encrypted contents of the network packets for HTTPS traffic. In turn, the benefit of this from an AV perspective is that they can acquire more information when scanning the traffic, and thus make a better informed decision on whether that traffic should be allowed or dealt with.

Many solutions are doing it nowadays. While it can cause more issues than it solves, you have to decide on whether you want the feature or not. It's up to you. It's an optional feature.

If you want ESET to be able to protect you from malicious HTTPS traffic then keep the feature enabled and ignore the warnings from badssl.com.
Thanks!

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Windows_Security

Level 23
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Thanks (y) Installed (for now).
There is also blue (Identity Validation).
Should be between green and orange and OK.
Sorry, IV = indentity Validation, means that the identity of the organization controlling the website has been verified.

FYI

Edge-chromium is safer than Chrome

Long intro .....

Developed a website for a lunchroom of a friend of my wife. Her (the owner) website had been hacked, because she never updated her Wordpress website. They had asked her money to give her back website. Moved her website to a hosting company which auto updates Wordpress even on the cheapest hosting contract. The 'hackers' just disable the theme and delete the MySQL data base belonging to the original website. This way they can easily restore the website by enabling the WP-theme again and importing the old MySQL db.

End intro ...

Her new hosting company also provides a free basic SSL (DV) certificate. When I checked the new https://etc website, I noticed that Chrome warned that this website loaded images from unsafe sources. On Edge-chromium these images were NOT loaded but BLOCKED**. Again (with the warning that Edge-chromium runs in admin mode) proof that Microsoft seriously is intending to make Edge-chromium better in terms of privacy and securiy than the original.

** (I had forgotten to change the site address in Wordpress itself from HTTP://etc to HTTPS://etc)