plat1098

Level 9
Verified
Well, I snipped Edge.old out with the tutorial of BoraMurdar (the Winaero one), installed the dev version of Edge and it updated itself to 77.0.235. 5:emoji_ok_hand: With my gpu clocks to full-on and hardware acceleration enabled, this browser rocks, it outperforms Firefox. Resource-use is very low but hopefully, disk writes aren't too much. Is anyone using any special security, like HitmanPro.Alert or even MBAE? I'm not planning to run this sandboxed, so anything is appreciated. Or, should one focus on browser security? SmartScreen is already enabled, anything else? I have Nano and TrackOff right now.

edgedev.PNG

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 21
Verified
Well, I snipped Edge.old out with the tutorial of BoraMurdar (the Winaero one), installed the dev version of Edge and it updated itself to 77.0.235. 5:emoji_ok_hand: With my gpu clocks to full-on and hardware acceleration enabled, this browser rocks, it outperforms Firefox. Resource-use is very low but hopefully, disk writes aren't too much. Is anyone using any special security, like HitmanPro.Alert or even MBAE? I'm not planning to run this sandboxed, so anything is appreciated. Or, should one focus on browser security? SmartScreen is already enabled, anything else? I have Nano and TrackOff right now.

View attachment 219104
Version 77.0.235.5 has a single fix for Netflix:
Today's update to the .5 release contains a single fix for the Netflix error D1711-1331.

plat1098

Level 9
Verified
I agree with everyone else's request for a plain dark homepage. But, in the meantime, the Bing images aren't too bad Today's thing is kind of nifty but it's a matter of taste. It's one extreme or the other, it seems. I've also seen two instances of Edge.dev on the task bar but this has since mysteriously disappeared. Now, it's a space between an open app like Snip and the next one in line. :unsure: Seems to be cosmetic, though.

taskbar.png

edgedevcover.PNG

ZeroDay

Level 28
Verified
Malware Tester
I'm really enjoying using Edge Dev version. I'm pretty sure that I'll be saying goodbye to Google Chrome soon. Once the Final Chromium Edge browser is released it would make absolutely no sense at all for me to install Google Chrome. Not when Edge Chromium is already full integrated into the OS. So it will be another nice little way to cut down on attack surface.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 21
Verified
Although a minor feature, to be able to add the favorite button in the toolbar is really easy in the classic Edge, it gives you easy access to the list of your favorite URLs. Now, Microsoft has added the feature to the new Chromium Edge browser.
The new feature is available only on the Canary channel. Further, you’ll also need to install the Build 78.0.243.0 of the Edge Canary to make to favorite button appear in the toolbar.

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying using Edge Dev version. I'm pretty sure that I'll be saying goodbye to Google Chrome soon. Once the Final Chromium Edge browser is released it would make absolutely no sense at all for me to install Google Chrome. Not when Edge Chromium is already full integrated into the OS. So it will be another nice little way to cut down on attack surface.
Same here. Love the new Edge. For me its alrdy the better Chrome. Tested it when it came out, never looked back to chrome.

oldschool

Level 35
Verified
Speaking of which, I see that the old Edge
Same here. Love the new Edge. For me its alrdy the better Chrome. Tested it when it came out, never looked back to chrome.
Yes, a very nice all-around browser with many features and a decent built-in anti-tracker, which still needs a little help, e.g. Privacy Possum. (y)

ZeroDay

Level 28
Verified
Malware Tester
I've already done this. I only use Chrome for Google Account management. Dropped Chrome from my Android devices entirely (using Brave for now).
I've added the Google app launcher customizer extension to Edge Dev and added the Google account management shortcut in there. It works great just like the drop down shortcuts on Chrome. Edge Chromium really is impressive isn't it. Right down to the fonts and overall look and feel of the browser.

oldschool

Level 35
Verified
I've submitted feedback to the Edge Dev team requesting more granular control of Javascript and Tracking Protection at the top of the UI in the search bar, e.g. ala Brave. Please submit your own request if you think either these are changes you'd like to see. I'd be willing to let go of µBO completely if these improvements were made. Edge is blazing fast when using the built-in features! :cool:

Moonhorse

Level 26
Verified
Content Creator
Googles manifest v3 should be around corner (it was supposed to be here on google canary early august)

That will decide if i completely swap to edge

@oldschool , about js you can use custom rules, yet it can be bit frustrating

i rather sign on edge than chrome to have this feature

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 83
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
I am currently using Google Chrome stable.
What is the downside to switching to Edge Chromium dev? I haven't been following the discussion here very closely -- are there issues I need to know about? Are there features that are currently missing? What about web page shortcuts that open as windows, can you do that in Edge Chromium?

oldschool

Level 35
Verified
That will decide if i completely swap to edge

@oldschool , about js you can use custom rules, yet it can be bit frustrating
It's coming to Chrome, so why wait to switch? I know that custom rule making is not easy. Please re-read above post and submit your own feedback request if you agree that more granularity in control right in the search bar would be a positive change, as in Brave.

I am currently using Google Chrome stable.
What is the downside to switching to Edge Chromium dev? I haven't been following the discussion here very closely -- are there issues I need to know about? Are there features that are currently missing? What about web page shortcuts that open as windows, can you do that in Edge Chromium?
I haven't used Chrome in ages so I can't say, but I can't believe you are losing anything (or much, at present) and you will be gaining in features overall. I suggest trying it as it's very stable with much customization available. (y)(y)