oldschool

Level 35
Verified
What extra features will I be gaining?
Using the words "should be gaining ..." would have been a better choice. I think the better question would be "Will I lose features?" and I can't say since I don't use Chrome. More privacy options for one thing. Maybe read some posts as more than a few members have already switched. And go here Microsoft Edge Insider and related links for more info. I'm using it with Privacy Possum, Cookie Autodelete and the built-in Tracking Portection. It's blazing fast. I've even dropped µBO for now as I continue to test, and that in itself says something. I am a big fan of this browser. A bit more improvement and it will beat anything. And it's not even a Beta.

Maybe the best thing is to try it and judge for yourself? You may get it at the above link.

shmu26

Level 83
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Using the words "should be gaining ..." would have been a better choice. I think the better question would be "Will I lose features?" and I can't say since I don't use Chrome. More privacy options for one thing. Maybe read some posts as more than a few members have already switched. And go here Microsoft Edge Insider and related links for more info. I'm using it with Privacy Possum, Cookie Autodelete and the built-in Tracking Portection. It's blazing fast. I've even dropped µBO for now as I continue to test, and that in itself says something. I am a big fan of this browser. A bit more improvement and it will beat anything. And it's not even a Beta.

Maybe the best thing is to try it and judge for yourself? You may get it at the above link.
Thanks! I actually took it out for a stroll today, and I ran into an issue trying to install uBlock Origin (due to my ISP, no fault of Edge). But now you read my mind, and you told me that you don't use uBO anymore. Man, you got my curiosity going! So what do you use instead, or is there native adblocking, or what?

oldschool

Level 35
Verified
Thanks! I actually took it out for a stroll today, and I ran into an issue trying to install uBlock Origin (due to my ISP, no fault of Edge). But now you read my mind, and you told me that you don't use uBO anymore. Man, you got my curiosity going! So what do you use instead, or is there native adblocking, or what?
There's built-in Tracking Protection with 3 modes: Basic, Balanced and Strict. I use the built-in in Strict mode with Privacy Possum and Cookie Autodelele. Page loads are faster than µBO (which I normally use in medium mode) and you really see PP ramp up the action, depending on which TP mode you use.

@shmu26 I forgot to add that I've had no site breakage in Strict mode yet. If they ever copy Brave's granular control of JS and Tracking Protection via search bar icons) it will be the best browser, hands down, IMO. (y)(y)

silversurfer

Level 52
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Microsoft added a heavily requested feature, the Share button.
Check out what is back in Edge (Chromium) in the #EdgeCan & #EdgeDev Channels after the last update? #ShareIsBack #FTW #Woot pic.twitter.com/W4WpCdSzEM
— Richard Hay (@WinObs) August 12, 2019
The feature is available in both the Dev and Canary channels, although it's rolling out gradually. It doesn't actually come in the form of a new build, so checking for updates won't help. The share dialog does exactly what you'd expect it to, allowing you to share webpages to Cortana, OneNote, Your Phone, or any other app that hooks into it.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 35
Verified
I've trying out to install BTL into Edge-Dev, here it works perfectly:

View attachment 220265
Very strange! I've tried everything I can think of. Cleared cache, checked flags, disabled Smartscreen, allowed in µBO, etc. I have it installed on Brave. I occasionally get the "Already installed" message in Edge. I wonder if that's the issue, being they are both Chromium?

oldschool

Level 35
Verified
try reinstalling the browser then extension
I tried a clean install of Edge Dev and now can't get any extensions from the Chrome Web Store. I tried clearing cache on Windows, etc. and nothing works. I tried to check for update in "About Edge ..." and the browser crashed. It's completely unusable for me in this state. Reports made to M$. I wonder if the most recent update screwed with something, but I realize there have been no other similar reports here on the forum. :emoji_thinking::emoji_thinking::emoji_thinking: :unsure:

I certainly have had a run of luck recently! Brave stable has become my daily driver for now.

Last edited: