rockstarrocks

Level 18
Verified
A 64-bit OS and Apps are just better in terms of everything.

2016: You Should Upgrade to 64-bit Chrome. It’s More Secure, Stable, and Speedy

In my opinion, for consumers, Windows 10 Home & Pro should be 64-bit only, but Microsoft won't drop 32-bit Windows for some reason. In contrast Apple's macOS Mojave is the last version to support 32-bit apps, and iOS 11 dropped 32-bit app support in 2017.
I am not arguing about any of these points, 64-bit is better in every aspect. I am just saying there are still a ton of PCs with CPU which doesn't support 64-bit OS. If they can have another alternative to Chrome then why shouldn't MS support 32 bit? At least till 32 bit versions of Windows is supported.

Local Host

Level 15
Verified
I am not arguing about any of these points, 64-bit is better in every aspect. I am just saying there are still a ton of PCs with CPU which doesn't support 64-bit OS. If they can have another alternative to Chrome then why shouldn't MS support 32 bit? At least till 32 bit versions of Windows is supported.
If Microsoft didn't support 32-bit, people would complain, Microsoft supports 32-bit people still complain.

This won't affect anyone who uses 64-bit, so I really don't care what they do with 32-bit.

CyberTech

Level 21
Verified
If Microsoft didn't support 32-bit, people would complain, Microsoft supports 32-bit people still complain.

This won't affect anyone who uses 64-bit, so I really don't care what they do with 32-bit.
I think thats not good because you said you really dont care well some poor people wants a computer to learn how to use PC lets say they wants old (used) PC like 2GB of RAM which support 32-bit as well as CPU what rockstarrrocks said, it would be important for them obv later for work or in their future or whatever...

Reactions: rockstarrocks

Windows_Security

Level 22
Content Creator
Trusted
Verified
Noticed different behaviour, while playing with some blacklisted URL's of Phishtank.

1. Javascript blocked (on a PayPal phish) while this TLD is not blocked by Trace, nor my Javascript settings in Edge-Chromium (only blocking JavaScript originating from HTTP and File). According to the padlock info this is a valid certificate (no strike through the https://)

2. Website marked as DANGEREOUS warning, according to padlock the certificate is valid, but Edge-Chromium strikes through the https

3. Regular Smartscreen block of another Phistank https url (so smartscreen is working)

As far as I can recall using Chrome with simular extensions and settings, I have never encountered situation 1 and 2 (only Google safe surfing blocked a website like Microsoft Smartscreen does in situation 3).

QUESTIONS:
1. Anyone experienced such 'intermediate' protections of situation 1 and 2 on Chrome?
2. Anyone experienced such 'intermediate' protections of situation 1 and 2 on Edge-chromium also?
3. Is it a known bug in Edge-chromium which prevented to display the Smartscreen warning (as in situation 3)?

THX

Last edited:

sg09

Level 1
I'm using the latest Canary build, Version 75.0.139.0.

Only thing I don't like so far is the lag in opening 'New tab'. It takes almost the same time as opening Google.com.

Otherwise pretty cool. Loads faster than FF and Chrome. Only the original Edge loads faster in my PC, although it has various compatibility issues.

I will uninstall Chrome the day Edge Chromium stable build releases.

oldschool

Level 26
Verified
2. Anyone experienced such 'intermediate' protections of situation 1 and 2 on Edge-chromium also?
I don't use Trace.
I tested several links. I experienced situation 1 on one or more of the links I tested on Edge Dev version. Smartscreen blocked one as well. Also a warning "Website blocked by extension" (uBO in medium mode + default filters) and other variations on a couple. I landed on 1 or 2 phishing pages.

Hope this helps. I don't get too technical about this stuff as I'm a safe surfer.

Are other users experiencing any bugs in either Dev or Canary versions? :unsure: I'm having an issue on opening where I need to refresh 2 or 3 times to connect to my startup page. I'm enjoying the Dev version except for this annoyance. (y)

Edit: Is this browser supposed to protect saved passwords by asking for Windows password to "show passwords"?

sg09

Level 1
I've been using Chrome since the first public alpha. And till date, after all the massive improvements and feature additions, they still don't alert if attempted to quit when multiple tabs are open. Will Microsoft be able to do something about it?

This is the main reason for my reluctance of having chromium based browsers as the default ones?

Moonhorse

Level 25
Content Creator
Verified
they still don't alert if attempted to quit when multiple tabs are open
Firefox + forks do this, aswell opera. What im looking forward edge is just as smooth scrolling as edgehtml has + smartscreen over google safe browsing

As soon as edge is implement to windows, it only has advantages by being integrated to windows, when google chrome is just 3rd party app

ZeroDay

Level 27
Verified
The new Edge browser is shaping up very nicely it looks like it's going to be an awesome browser. I for one will drop Google Chrome once the new Edge browser is ready I'm already using the beta. The security advantages as well as system integration and Microsoft's own personal touches just make the new Edge browser to difficult to not use for me personally. I'll go even further and say that basing Edge on Chromium and having smart-screen etc is one of, if not the best idea MS has had for a long time. Imagine if MS release versions of this browser for MacOS and Linux distros. Google would be in some serious trouble. I love the new Edge browser and I've never been a fan of any of Microsoft's browsers, I did like the old Edge browser for a short time but I soon switched back to Chrome. So, once the new Edge browser is ready it'll be bye bye to any other browser as my default browser.

Windows_Security

Level 22
Content Creator
Trusted
Verified
I already have ditched Chrome. I always used Chrome for occasional browsing and Edge for online banking/insurance/tax stuff. The reason was that I could protect (old) Edge with Windows Defender Exploit Protection. With Edge-chromium these extra protections should make Edge-chromium safer than Chrome, that is why I ditched Chrome already.

When you are on Windows 10 and using WD-exploit protection just add the three protections below for msedge.exe (after all it is still in development, although it cased less troubles than Opera stable on my desktop). I will use Edge-chromium as my browser (with three profiles: SECURE for online banking , SURFING for normal operation and one for browsing the dark side of the web called SECURE mode.

Nice thing to use differenty profles is that you can change your "Privacy & Services' and 'Site Permissions' differently per user profile. Also the extensions used, can differ per profile or (alternatively) you can use the same extension in different modes. To explain the last option, for example uBlock0rigin could be used in banking mode with a few blacklists (e.g. Disconnect malvertising & Peter's Low blocklist), in surfing mode, you could go bazerk on blacklists and in SECURE mode you could run uBlock in expert mode and block by default third-party scripts and third-party (i)frames.

These three WD-exploit options will make Edge-chromium safer as Chrome: EDIT ONLY USE IT WHEN USING WINDOWS DEFENDER AS AV (combined with Hard Configurator or OSARMOR it works fine, but don;t apply these tweaks with other third party security)

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 25
Content Creator
Verified
I already have ditched Chrome. I always used Chrome for occasional browsing and Edge for online banking/insurance/tax stuff. The reason was that I could protect (old) Edge with Windows Defender Exploit Protection. With Edge-chromium these extra protections should make Edge-chromium safer than Chrome, that is why I ditched Chrome already.

When you are on Windows 10 and using WD-exploit protection just add the three protections below for msedge.exe (after all it is still in development, although it cased less troubles than Opera stable on my desktop). I will use Edge-chromium as my browser (with three profiles: SECURE for online banking , SURFING for normal operation and one for browsing the dark side of the web called SECURE mode.

Nice thing to use differenty profles is that you can change your "Privacy & Services' and 'Site Permissions' differently per user profile. Also the extensions used, can differ per profile or (alternatively) you can use the same extension in different modes. To explain the last option, for example uBlock0rigin could be used in banking mode with a few blacklists (e.g. Disconnect malvertising & Peter's Low blocklist), in surfing mode, you could go bazerk on blacklists and in SECURE mode you could run uBlock in expert mode and block by default third-party scripts and third-party (i)frames.

These three WD-exploit options will make Edge-chromium safer as Chrome

View attachment 212816
But the exploit guard is only available in windows 10 pro? Do you think im good to uninstall chrome and replace it with developer edge? Currently im posting from edge canary, wich has been stable enough.

But do you recommend either staying chrome, developer edge or even canary edge? doubt edge has any major issues..

Moonhorse

Level 25
Content Creator
Verified
@Moonhorse

Sorry when you use a other security program, and this program injects a DLL into Edge, this DLL will be blocked.
I have appcheck antiransomware free installed, wich has exploit guard for MS edge...you think that causes it?

Anyways even without the exploit guardian brought by microsoft, do you think edge developer / canary are enough stable to use for banking/ browsing and i can have peace of mind of removing chrome :emoji_thinking: