oldschool

Level 35
Verified

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 21
Verified
Google is only reinforcing my measured support of M$. Bad move by the big G.
This and Google - Google-Protected Mobile Browsers Were Open to Phishing For Over a Year made me install Edge as default browser on my Android phone too.
Hope it was an accident :emoji_thinking:
One interesting takeaway from this is that Google is still in a position to hurt competing browsers (be it actively or accidentally) even if these browsers use the same engine as Google Chrome.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 21
Verified
that is strange because i use chromium edge and since today i have the new youtube layout: Thats how Trends look in germany now, its the new design. When i click on a vid, the new design is still there. i cant see the old one at all with chromium edge.
View attachment 214305
Sorry @Janl1992l I edited my post:
No, when browsing to A Fresh New Look for YouTube with Chromium Edge I get a browser not supported page.
Normal YouTube links work fine.

Local Host

Level 18
Verified
that is strange because i use chromium edge and since today i have the new youtube layout: Thats how Trends look in germany now, its the new design. When i click on a vid, the new design is still there. i cant see the old one at all with chromium edge.
View attachment 214305
On your screenshot that is not the new layout at all, Google is doing what they do best, cripple the competition.

Last edited:

Janl1992l

Level 13
Verified
On yuur screenshot that is not the new layout at all.

Google is doing what they do best, cripple the competition (is funny cause Microsoft Edge used to run Google services way faster than Chrome itself, until Google started to include dirty code to cripple performance on all browsers).
Can you show me the new layout? Because i got this today, before i had a total different one, with only one line of videos, not two.

Local Host

Level 18
Verified

shmu26

Level 83
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
As @oldschool stated this only reinforces my choice for Edge-chromium (and of course it's better security by allowing only Microsoft signed with WD exploit protection, Google can't match that :) ).

View attachment 214318
I cannot deny that Edge-chromium could become more secure than Chrome, and maybe it already is, I haven't been following things closely enough.
But on the other hand, are there any REALISTIC security concerns that Chrome does not address, and Edge does?

Windows_Security

Level 23
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
The broker does not need Admin rights, because it has a separate updater, so providing a warning is a good start. Two years ago the fear of the day was MITM and MITB attacks, only allowing Microsoft signed reduces that risk. So the answer depends on your state of paranoia. How many people use HPMA or MBAE?

When Microsoft adds anothor Attack Surface Reduction in Windows Defender to only allow Edge-chromium to spawn its updater and itself. How many people install OS_Armor and enable the Exploit protection (which blocks Chrome starting other programs than itself)? So again this depends on your state of paranoia.

shmu26

Level 83
Verified
Trusted
Content Creator
The broker does not need Admin rights, because it has a separate updater, so providing a warning is a good start. Two years ago the fear of the day was MITM and MITB attacks, only allowing Microsoft signed reduces that risk. So the answer depends on your state of paranoia. How many people use HPMA or MBAE?

When Microsoft adds anothor Attack Surface Reduction in Windows Defender to only allow Edge-chromium to spawn its updater and itself. How many people install OS_Armor and enable the Exploit protection (which blocks Chrome starting other programs than itself)? So again this depends on your state of paranoia.
In 2019, it seems the only big browser issue is the malicious scripts running on compromised websites, and unfortunately, neither Chrome nor Edge can help us, unless we disable javascript, which can be done on both browsers.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 21
Verified
Will this Edge-Chromium replace existing MS Edge in the next major update or not?
Nobody except MS knows for sure, but it seems logical.
I expect we'll see Microsoft introduce Anaheim throughout the 19H1 development cycle, which Insiders are currently testing in the Fast ring. This is a big deal for Windows. Microsoft's web browser should finally be able to compete alongside Chrome, Opera and Firefox, and those who are all-in with the Microsoft ecosystem will finally be getting a browser from Microsoft that works well when browsing the web.
Once new Microsoft Edge browser becomes stable enough for primary use, Microsoft will replace the old Microsoft Edge browser with new one in future Windows 10 versions i.e. feature updates. It'll take some time for sure.